Wix XP cheapening? No longer wire backed.

If you look closely at Mewbs's pictures, it appears that both the old and the new versions still say "Made in USA" on them. I at least have to give them some credit for that. Does anybody besides WIX still manufacture oil filters in the USA?

Good Morning Invisible,
I agree those filters will work fine. :) The issue is their pricing is up to 2 times more with lower performance specs. For me what matters is the filters ratings for mileage life, efficiency @micron level and that this information be on the point of sale packaging. Then when I look at the price the selection process becomes simple and straight forward.
There is only so much we can as consumers, basically vote with your dollar.

is even the plastic/polymer reinforcement gone?
The polymer mesh is bonded to the media, so you can't see it unless you cut the filter open.

Does anybody besides WIX still manufacture oil filters in the USA?
Yes, Purolator, probably in the same plant.

....Yes, Purolator, probably in the same plant.
Purolator plant is located in Fayetteville NC. Wix plant right off I-85 in Gastonia NC. As M&H seems to be standardizing much of the design now between Wix and Puro, date code format sometimes the only way to tell point/plant of US manufacture now. M&H also has built a huge warehouse down I-85 in Gaffney SC that can also be seen from the interstate.

They have always been low efficiency rock catchers-at $16, with no reinforcement (is even the plastic/polymer reinforcement gone?), they're not even worth considering. Much like Premium Guard NAPA Golds-just coasting on a dying brand name!
The old stock (right) is using the polymer backing boss media yeah, no problem about that. Was just an observstion of the media change to celloulose blend.

Anyways this puts the Wix XP in the same teir as mobil1 filters.

Last edited:
Back