Bosch D+ D3323 C&P

This is a Bosch D+ D3323 off my '94 Honda VT1100C.
2,510 miles/12 months on filter, 15,029 miles on bike. Oil was Peak 15w-40 Syn-blend.

Also need to thank Duckryder again for donating this filter to me (this is the 3rd of 4 or 5 I got from him)

Filter:
[Linked Image]

ADV looks good, also old style center tube with holes:
[Linked Image]

Pleats are little wide and wavy at the seam, but intact
[Linked Image]

Looks better on the backside
[Linked Image]

HDD magnets caught a little bit of stuff
[Linked Image]

Few metal flakes in the media
[Linked Image]

Overall I like these D+ filters.
I have 2 more that fit my Scion, but one is a louver one and not very open, so probably won't use that one.

I put on a NAPA Gold 1334 that '53 Stude sent me (thanks) and used more of the Peak 15w-40 Syn-blend oil I have.
Plan on another 2500 mile interval, which is about what I ride in a year, so works out well.

And again, did another video of cutting it open:

I bought a few of the D3322 (I think that's the # for the PH3600 equivalent) for my Escape when Walmart cleared them.
Does the media feel any different than regular Bosch filters?....it doesn't look 'thick' like the Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Looks like Purolator to me.

Not only does it look like a Purolator (whom I believe made them)...but the media looks the same
as the regular Purolator filter....this is why I asked the OP if it 'feels' any different...because it certainly
doesn't 'look' any different.

Originally Posted by blupupher

I have 2 more that fit my Scion, but one is a louver one and not very open, so probably won't use that one.

This talk about louvers seems crazy to me at first glance.

I can guarantee that even the less opened louvers are "open enough" to flow at least 1.5x whats coming in the
perimeter holes from the pump

Have you done the calculation?

I ready to be proved wrong
smile.gif

-Ken

I have a bunch of these D+ filters I got on clearance from Walmart. Enough to last my truck it's life based on current driving conditions and OCI. I think the current one is on there since early 2018. Guess I should change it.

I used to use these often, paying the full price at the time, like $12. I always felt the oil stayed cleaner looking on the stick over many comparisons to other filters. The benefit is the thicker can and higher capacity. The D+ is rated 99.9% @40 while their Premium is 99%@20.
I don't pay any attention to those numbers anymore because what counts are particles in the oil during real use. One milligram of particles per mile, which is like a single grain of table salt, crushed down, is the real average dirt an engine sees. In one mile, at steady speed, this crushed single grain of salt sized particle is circulated through the filter several times. Nothing is measuring the efficiency in that working condition. So in my case I don't knock the D+ for "efficiency."

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by blupupher

This talk about louvers seems crazy to me at first glance.

I can guarantee that even the less opened louvers are "open enough" to flow at least 1.5x whats coming in the
perimeter holes from the pump

Have you done the calculation?

I ready to be proved wrong
smile.gif

-Ken

No way to know that unless calculations and/or tests were done on the two filters being compared. How are you going to prove that louvers that are barely open are going to be adequate and "flow at least 1/5x what's coming in the perimeter hoses from the pump" ... and you "can guarantee" it?

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The D+ is rated 99.9% @40 while their Premium is 99%@20. I don't pay any attention to those numbers anymore because what counts are particles in the oil during real use.

You mean like the shown correlation between rated oil filter efficiency and the used oil ISO 4406 particle count data.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
ARCOgraphite said:
blupupher said:
No way to know that unless calculations and/or tests were done on the two filters being compared. How are you going to prove that louvers that are barely open are going to be adequate and "flow at least 1/5x what's coming in the perimeter hoses from the pump" ... and you "can guarantee" it?

Well we can start by calculating the aperture area of the louver ports and make assumptions from there

say

397 (0.12 * 0.022) = 1.05 sq inch

as they ARE NOT impeded by media pleats directly obscuring the holes.

A number like that or even half that would make me feel real warm an fuzzy.

I do not know the aperture size or count. The above is just an example from guess..

I just think its a non issue vs. media porosity, doping and in service gumming.

But show me some science and I could be persuaded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Well we can start by calculating the aperture area of the louver ports and make assumptions from there

say

397 (0.12 * 0.022) = 1.05 sq inch

as they ARE NOT impeded by media pleats directly obscuring the holes.

A number like that or even half that would make me feel real warm an fuzzy.

I do not know the aperture size or count. The above is just an example from guess..

I just think its a non issue vs. media porosity, doping and in service gumming.

But show me some science and I could be persuaded.

Smaller filters don't have nearly 400 louvers.

Part in red ... not me. I guess someone has to buy those dud filters that have barely opened up louvers, lol.

I use filters with louvers, but only after I look at them carefully and see that they are opened up way more that 0.020" ... more like 0..080+".

….Is the media any different than a regular Purolator filter?....it doesn't appear to be.

Originally Posted by pbm
….Is the media any different than a regular Purolator filter?....it doesn't appear to be.

Good point and I can get a Bosch Premium for four dollars.

It is supposed to be a "better" media than regular Bosch Premium (it advertises "more dirt holding capacity" or something like that, for whatever that means).
Off hand I don't think it feels any different from Pure One filters I have opened in the past, but don't have another one handy to compare it to right now.
IIRC, a new one I cut open a few years ago seemed to have some pretty sturdy feeling media.

As for the louvers, I have no problem with them when they are correctly done, but when you can barely see light through them, they do not flow as well as they should. If that were the case, why do most filters have wide open louvers (seems all Champ made filters have nicely opened louvers), yet some have louvers that are barely open?
No need to prove you right, why don't you prove me wrong?

Use what you want, I will not use a product that is obviously defective.
I purchased it before realizing that there were louvered center tubes in these, and after I bought this one (on clearance so I could not return it), I always check the center tube to see how well it is opened up.

Thing is, I am not sure if the D+ is still being made. Only place I see them anymore is on Amazon, and no idea how old they are.
It seems to be a decent filter, and has a very thick can, but for the price (almost 2x a Fram Ultra, 1.5 the price of Mobil 1), not something I would search for at full price.
For the $3-5 I paid for the ones I have, I am OK with it.

Back