BMW Longlife Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my VW 1.8T PCV deposits definitely increase when the oil is spent. With healthy oil it is just a liquid film. I suspect the effect is the same in a modern BMW engine.

Originally Posted By: JAG
In my VW 1.8T PCV deposits definitely increase when the oil is spent.

I'm wondering what the definition of "spent" is and how many miles it takes for oil to be considered "spent" on a non-turbo BMW engine with 7qt sump.

I did change oil every 5k miles on my old 1.8T, but I assumed that with 4qt sump and turbo, the oil was taking more of a beating.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JAG
In my VW 1.8T PCV deposits definitely increase when the oil is spent.

I'm wondering what the definition of "spent" is and how many miles it takes for oil to be considered "spent" on a non-turbo BMW engine with 7qt sump.

I did change oil every 5k miles on my old 1.8T, but I assumed that with 4qt sump and turbo, the oil was taking more of a beating.

By spent I meant that the oil is adding deposits in the valve cover and/or PCV system. I don't have a truthful answer to "how long" question. It surely would be a range depending on many factors.

My 02 325Ci with 140k has all kinds of nastiness going on under its VC; soft sludge, and hard dried burnt-looking deposits. My 93 325is was spotless at 250,000 miles. One had factory OCIs with OEM oil and the other 3-5k OCIs with either M1 or Delo 15-40.

Guess which is which.

I'd guess the engine for which a clogging CCV is a common problem, especially in colder climates, is the one that has the problems.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 330indy
nice
I've seen blown M54s due to sludge clogging up the crankcase ventilation system. Plenty of them.
but by all means, go ahead and gunk up your bimmer. I don't care.

Clogging CCV is a common problem on M54 engines, especially in colder climates. BMW released an updated "cold climate" CCV design to reduce the risk of clogging.

Still, I'm not sure this is related to extended OCI. The CCV just needs to be cleaned/replaced once in a while.

Is it a CCV or PCV system. I had an '87 Jeep with a CCV system. It was an overly complex mess of little tubes and a breather valve built into valve cover. I ended up having to special order the hoses. There were like 5 of them, two that fed into/out of the airbox - one on the "dirty" side of the filter and one on the "clean" side. Another set ran to the valve cover - one to the breather valve and one to a return port. There were one or two more tubes that fed into the idle control motor area - which was all gunked up too.

The tubes were all plugged (had 150k mi). That still didn't fix it and I ended up having to take the valve cover off and replace the breather valve and replace the idle control motor.

Of course this was the same year the Jeeps used the infamous Rennix fuel injection system which was some [censored] system created by Renault and Volvo.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Ironic that the e46 spent spent it's life in San Diego before I bought it ten months ago. Try again.
Used car, eh? How much do you know about it's service history and usage? Lot of short trips by the previous owner, perhaps?

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
Is it a CCV or PCV system. I had an '87 Jeep with a CCV system. It was an overly complex mess of little tubes and a breather valve built into valve cover. I ended up having to special order the hoses. There were like 5 of them, two that fed into/out of the airbox - one on the "dirty" side of the filter and one on the "clean" side. Another set ran to the valve cover - one to the breather valve and one to a return port. There were one or two more tubes that fed into the idle control motor area - which was all gunked up too.

It has a cyclonic separator operated by a valve. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...hg=11&fg=15

AFAIK, the cyclonic separator (#1 in the above diagram) is what gets clogged.

But evidently that's totally irrelevant to some, because it's easier just to blame the oil or OCIs...

Originally Posted By: jpr

LL01

LOL
it's all junk after 10k miles.
If you have a BMW change it at 5k. Or pay with sludge. I don't care what brand of oil you use, you are gonna get screwed with extended OCIs.
Not
Worth
It
Wrong answer.

Unless this is what you would call "screwed" - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1196764

Hah!
RIGHT answer for midwest winters and short trips. It's called "severe service". Proof? ... I have to post ugly pics from my Indy's garage of M54s that went into hydro-lock (more like petro-lock) for you to say OK, I guess that is legit.? I don't need endorsements ... I am expanding the experience base here. Simple.
Read the last post in your thread. San Diego climate and highway driving DO NOT EQUATE to Indianapolis, nor Michigan.
Hey, you guys can roll the dice and conduct your experiments with your cars. Have at it.
Not me. thanks though, for being empirically right every time. You rock

Not to consider adjusting one's OCI for particularly severe operating habits and conditions is foolish.

Making a blanket claim that "..it's all junk after 10k miles.
If you have a BMW change it at 5k. Or pay with sludge. I don't care what brand of oil you use, you are gonna get screwed with extended OCIs..." is equally foolish.

By the way, there is an interesting difference in the way the service interval indicator works on the M52TU used in the early E46's and the M54 used in the later ones. The M52TU indicator counts down the interval based upon an algorithm that considers not only on elapsed mileage, but also on such inputs as engine speed, engine temperature, number of starts, length of trips, and the amount of fuel used. On the M54's, this got dumbed down to being solely based on fuel consumed. I'd wager the former method does a better job of accounting for "severe" service conditions.

Not to consider adjusting one's OCI for particularly severe operating habits and conditions is foolish.

maybe you should have considered that before your self righteous "Wrong answer" response

maybe you should have considered that before your self righteous "Wrong answer" response
I merely responded to the statement you made, not the statement that you retrospectively wish you had made. That's not a matter of being self-righteous, that's a matter of correcting a grotesque over generalization. Sorry if it hurt your feelings.

330indy, your experience and input would be quite valuable if you weren't so strident and condescending in every single post. The way you talk casts serious doubt on your credibility. Just a thought from a third party.

Originally Posted By: EricJRoy
New here...what does GC stand for?

German Castrol aka Castrol Syntec 0W-30 - see the sticky post at the top of the forum for more info

On the M54's, this got dumbed down to being solely based on fuel consumed. I'd wager the former method does a better job of accounting for "severe" service conditions.

Not necessarily. If you figure that in cold climate the engine takes longer to reach operating temp which means it consumes more fuel, then the "total fuel consumed" measure may still be a pretty good way of estimating OCI.

In addition, things like engine speed, engine temperature, number of starts have a direct impact on how quickly the fuel is being consumed, so again, I feel that the "total fuel consumed" is a pretty smart way of computing OCI.

What's in question is "how much" fuel is to be consumed before the interval is up. In my car, it is 2375 liters (627 gallons). If you figure my average MPG of about 24, then this gives about 15k mile OCI. Being the anal BITOG'er that I am, I don't wait this long, but I don't change it as early as 5K miles either.

I've run both M1 0W-40 and 5W-40 TDT in my wife's X3 2.5. The UOAs indicate that the TBN of either oil drops below 1.5 by 8500-9500 miles. Accordingly, I change the oil twice as often as the SI system calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back