BMW heated seat subscription

I'm certain some automotive upgrade items might be better suited to a paid subscription. Perhaps tuning for better economy versus highest power, or having remote start deleted per driver preferences.

I have to wonder if someone sitting in a board meeting in Munich thought the customers would be excited about paying extra for an item that is already installed in their car. How does this even become a thing?

I have to wonder if someone sitting in a board meeting in Munich thought the customers would be excited about paying extra for an item that is already installed in their car. How does this even become a thing?
Recurring revenue is the holy grail of wall street. They would much rather in the end have the elites own everything and the peasants rent it back - just like the middle ages.

They are disconnected from what buyers actually want. The closed group thinking.
The same is happening with all our touchscreens.

Recurring revenue is the holy grail of wall street. They would much rather in the end have the elites own everything and the peasants rent it back - just like the middle ages.
It is about predictable, reoccurring revenue and stock valuation. 1) it is much easier to forecast annual services / subscriptions vs when someone will buy a new vehicle. 2) digital services / subscriptions revenue have on average a valuation ratio of 1 to 10, meaning for $1 there is $10 of perceived value in the market.

So something that the article didn’t answer clearly, does this mean all of the vehicles that were previously sold with heated seats under a subscription now have the feature turned on permanently?

Obviously some companies are paying attention on customer feedback:

So, the heated seats subscription is gone.

Unfortunately it won't stop the Tesla-fication* of the auto industry.

*Tesla self-driving is a "subscription" as the feature is deactivated upon resale.

Last edited:
As a BMW owner any none-optional subscription (pay for use) is a deal ender, and that's for any brand of vehicle. And that includes all those entertainments, communications and supposed "help" systems. Just as servicing your own vehicle, autonomy and choice is the name of the game.

Really dislike how difficult manufacturers are making it, requiring special tools and software to own a car these days. Or to take it to a dealer and pay exorbitant fees for a basic service. Understand for dealerships it's probably a greater profit center than the car sale itself these days.

Back