LA Sheriff has 429 Ford Crown Victorias in Service...

Here it is for the Mustang.

EE637AD7-72F6-4588-8745-8716F89A0D89.jpeg

My friend loved the CV over the Caprice. The Ford's are better built and are easier to replace parts from wrecks/pit maneuver. As a State Trooper he had some great stories! Went back to Marines; got tired of it after awhile. I think those Ford's are ugly, but it's definitely a workhorse.

I bet in the real world, cops like the Ford Explorer better.
The article touches on that....

stating that the Crown Victoria remains the top choice with older members of the force.

"Tenured deputies who have driven them for the majority of their patrol careers still prefer them to the Ford Police Interceptor Utility, which is also in use by the Department, while newer deputies seem to prefer the Police Interceptor Utility."

My friend loved the CV over the Caprice. The Ford's are better built and are easier to replace parts from wrecks/pit maneuver. As a State Trooper he had some great stories! Went back to Marines; got tired of it after awhile. I think those Ford's are ugly, but it's definitely a workhorse.

A friend of mine was a mechanic for the local PD. He hated seeing the CVPI go away because they were a much better vehicle than the Charger police car. More durable, reliable.

The police officers liked everything but the visibility in the Charger better.

That's neat story to see these framed cars still doing service but 2011 wasn't that long ago especially from California (no rust).

So currently in 2023, approximately 72% of the 600 CVPIs are stil on the road 12 years after going into LEO service. The bulk of those cars which have left service probably succumbed to accidents, meaning that most all of them were still mechanically viable (possibly even used for parts, if the LASD was smart enough to hold onto them). So it would be fair to estimate that perhaps 95% or more of them would still be on the road if not for some sort of terminal crash event.

Cockroaches and CVPIs ... the two things most likely to survive an apocalypse.

I bet in the real world, cops like the Ford Explorer better.

I didn't, but I was an old timer driving the last CV we had in the sector. The Explorers were fine, but not nearly as durable. Chargers were not as reliable and really lacked needed interior space, but man they were fast!

A Charger lacked interior space relative to a Crown Vic?

Maybe equipment was poorly installed/packaged. Otherwise, no way...

Back