Another GR86 blown and warranty denied

Are we sure this problem is happening on stock GR86? The ones in the videos are certainly modified.

That's the thing. I would expect an M car to not have this problem. One, there is a lot more money for R&D, and two, it is tested extensively on track.

I am surprised Toyobaru they didn't find this problem in testing. Maybe they did, and thought it wasn't a big deal. Or maybe it only happens on modified cars, I don't know. But as you say, there is only so much R&D cost to go around on a cheap car, so we can't destroy them for missing something like this either.
The ones in the videos are stock as I understand as are the two "famous" ones that blew up in the last year from oil starvation related to, apparently, too much RTV.

Their theory that the oil moves forward into the timing chain cover area causing pickup tube starvation doesn't seem to be the case when watching the oil pressure on the track. He brakes hard into sharp LH corners and the oil pressure stays pretty constant. Any time he takes a sharp RH corner, with hard braking or not, the pressure drops significantly. It's clearly the oil moving side to side in the pan and the location of the pickup tube causing this issue.

Wonder if they should have added a quart and tried the same testing. GM said in the C5 Corvette OM to add a quart of oil for track use to help prevent oil starvation in the corners.
Certainly could be a good idea? Not sure what the capacity of those engines is? Baffles in the pan/cover should help.

Their theory that the oil moves forward into the timing chain cover area causing pickup tube starvation doesn't seem to be the case when watching the oil pressure on the track. He brakes hard into sharp LH corners and the oil pressure stays pretty constant. Any time he takes a sharp RH corner, with hard braking or not, the pressure drops significantly. It's clearly the oil moving side to side in the pan and the location of the pickup tube causing this issue.

Wonder if they should have added a quart and tried the same testing. GM said in the C5 Corvette OM to add a quart of oil for track use to help prevent oil starvation in the corners.
I'm not familiar with this Subaru engine but in the Porche M96 the #1 and #2 cylinder heads share a casting. So one head has the drain in the front and the other in the back, leading to pooling depending on how the car is loaded in a turn.

There are a few fixes by the factory, one of which was a new dipstick that allowed an additional liter of oil.

These and other failures, I believe, come in large part from a lack of extensive real-world testing by the manufacturers. Too costly and time-consuming, by today's standards.

The over-reliance on modeling is problematic, in my opinion.

A lot of these failures are solved by a simple cure, that would have been found in real testing, not modeling.

These and other failures, I believe, come in large part from a lack of extensive real-world testing by the manufacturers. Too costly and time-consuming, by today's standards.

The over-reliance on modeling is problematic, in my opinion.

A lot of these failures are solved by a simple cure, that would have been found in real testing, not modeling.
I find it unbelievable that car was not pushed hard on track to result in this issue. I get that they rely on modeling, but vehicles had to rack up some mileage on road and track.

BMW crowd regularly runs 1qt over. I run on track around 7 1/2-8qt.

Last edited:
I find it unbelievable that car was not pushed hard on track to result in this issue. I get that they rely on modeling, but vehicles had to rack up some mileage on road and track.
I used to think that too, but there are too many of these, from engines, to cracking suspension members, to airbags, etc. that indicate to me there is not enough actual testing done, in all operational conditions. Even ongoing issues, like LSPI and fuel dilution from DI should have been found and fixed before those products came to market. Lifter problems, cylinder deactivation, spark plugs becoming projectiles, Theta bottom ends. The list is long, and getting longer. Instead they were tested properly in the field, by paying customers, and simple solutions found, or if not, the question gets raised, "I wonder why did they do it that way? Didn't this issue come up in testing?"
Just my $.02.

Last edited:
I used to think that too, but there are too many of these, from engines, to cracking suspension members, to airbags, etc. that indicate to me there is not enough actual testing done, in all operational conditions. Even ongoing issues, like LSPI and fuel dilution from DI should have been found and fixed before those products came to market. Lifter problems, cylinder deactivation, spark plugs becoming projectiles, Theta bottom ends. The list is long, and getting longer. Instead they were tested properly in the field, by paying customers, and simple solutions found, or if not, the question gets raised, "I wonder why did they do it that way? Didn't this issue come up in testing?"
Just my $.02.
I understand other issues that come up with time. They just do not spend enough time on it bcs. cost-cutting.
But this is an issue that can be easily replicated in a few laps on track unless they really did not push cars hard enough.

The 4cyl oil pressure issues predate the BRZ, Subaru has had these issues for a long time this is not unique to the BRZ/GT86.

Here is a post from KillerB who has been selling aftermarket oiling parts for a long time.

That is what I have been saying. Anyone spent time on the track knows they had these issues for a long time.

That is what I have been saying. Anyone spent time on the track knows they had these issues for a long time.
And for this particular car....it's intended for this use. It's not like a basic family sedan. It's like Jeep and their "trail rated". They take the thing on the Rubicon trail and test it.

And for this particular car....it's intended for this use. It's not like a basic family sedan. It's like Jeep and their "trail rated". They take the thing on the Rubicon trail and test it.
Exactly. BRZ & Co were popular on the track, and they wanted to cash in on that popularity.
BMW also did that with B engine generation. They underestimated, not expecting that N54 would be so popular with tuners, and they introduced N55, which was not that tuner friendly. Going to B generation, they seriously invested in the "tunability" of an engine where it can sustain more than 1,000+ hp. They also addressed oil pick-up issues which on inline 6 are a nightmare, etc.
And the only thing Subaru had to do was a dual pick-up line.

The N54/55 has oil pressure issues on the track along with poor wastegates and wildly flexible ///M brake calipers.
Not even close to Subaru problems. There are N55 M2 ring taxis with lots of miles on them. The difference is Subarus have issues with barely any Gs and the N54/N55 need an expert driver to suffer oiling issues on track.

Subaru probably has limited oil pan configurations due to the headers proximity.
Yes, however, there are solutions. I highly doubt MSRP would suffer that much. This car was initially selling $15,000 over MSRP. If they had to increase MSRP $500 due to more complicated oil pick-up solutions, I highly doubt it would turn away any customers.
What they did now is effectively destroyed the image of a track car. Their intended customers are not the same as Highlander or Sienna, so you can get away with transmission issues and quietly fix it. This audience knows things and is aware of which cars are good and which are not.
I am seeing the price of BMW E90 with a stick going up :)

Yes, however, there are solutions. I highly doubt MSRP would suffer that much. This car was initially selling $15,000 over MSRP. If they had to increase MSRP $500 due to more complicated oil pick-up solutions, I highly doubt it would turn away any customers.
What they did now is effectively destroyed the image of a track car. Their intended customers are not the same as Highlander or Sienna, so you can get away with transmission issues and quietly fix it. This audience knows things and is aware of which cars are good and which are not.
I am seeing the price of BMW E90 with a stick going up :)

100% agree but this has been an issue for years and years even on STI's. They must be running into some constraints that prevents them from fixing it.

Back