BMW E90 Thrust Arm Bushings

Those are hydro bushings. They will fail after 100k. No if or but.
When good, there is no way you can move them like that.
Disagree. Seen many cars with more than 100K where they’re still perfectly good.

Disagree. Seen many cars with more than 100K where they’re still perfectly good.
You might want to disagree as much as you want, at 100k on BMW E90 they are done. They are primary load control arm and performance tuned while at the same time they have to be comfortable.
This ain’t Subaru. They can’t have absolutely any play when pushed like this.

I was hardly moving it. I can move the bushing by hand

My car pulls pretty badly when braking, and the steering wheel moves

Just and update :

I got the driver’s side out and it has the same movement

Is 11pm here, so I’m calling it a night

You might want to disagree as much as you want, at 100k on BMW E90 they are done. They are primary load control arm and performance tuned while at the same time they have to be comfortable.
This ain’t Subaru. They can’t have absolutely any play when pushed like this.
They're a thrust arm. A lot of vehicles have them. Service life varies - blanket statement of 100K is misleading.

They're a thrust arm. A lot of vehicles have them. Service life varies - blanket statement of 100K is misleading.

The topic is E90, I referred to E90. They are done at 100k. Period.
This thrust arm is beyond done. I was answering your comment that all have some moving. BMW's one does not have ANY movement when are good and tried to apply force by hand. If they have, they are junk. That is when I said they are done.
What movement they have on other cars is irrelevant. On E90 they must be rock solid.

The topic is E90, I referred to E90. They are done at 100k. Period.
This thrust arm is beyond done. I was answering your comment that all have some moving. BMW's one does not have ANY movement when are good and tried to apply force by hand. If they have, they are junk. That is when I said they are done.
What movement they have on other cars is irrelevant. On E90 they must be rock solid.
Why are you the authority on this? Do you have any repair manual documentation to support your position on the subjective evaluation of this component?

If I can move it by hand, I can imagine it would be moving a lot under load of the car.

I will update tonight if it feels better 👍

Just curious, but I thought I remembered a thread or discussion where you were going go buy the TRW M3 parts to install. I guess you decided against it?

Glad the thrust arm bushings look to solve the issue.

Just curious, but I thought I remembered a thread or discussion where you were going go buy the TRW M3 parts to install. I guess you decided against it?

Glad the thrust arm bushings look to solve the issue.
It was hard to justify me spending 350 for better handling when I drive only to work.

And I’m going to college in August, so it won’t be driven much if at all

My dad is pressing the bushings out at work today, so hopefully all goes well and I can reinstall tonight and give a good update

IMG_0147.jpeg

If you zoom in, you can actually see the bushing is cracking

I am still working on getting them in

I just got the ball joint end to 175 nm, and it was a fight ☹️ . I had to use breaker bar to tighten, as the torque wrench didn’t get enough leverage

I still need to torque in 90 more degrees, plus a bunch of other crap

I doubt I will get done tonight, but I should have a good update tomorrow

I literally couldn’t get it any tighter, then I realized the +90 is for the bushing. I’m glad I stopped

IMG_4959.jpeg

I can confirm this stuff is great. Really made pressing in large bushings that are quite tight and have lots of surface area… easy. Easy enough that a 6&10 year old could do it.

I finally finished installing the splash shield this morning

I also put some Raybestos element 3 ceramic front brake pads on

Everything seems good. The car doesn’t seem to wander when braking hard, but I only drove 3 miles today, so hard to tell for sure

Brakes wise, no more squealing. They’re dead silent. There is definitely a little bit less initial bite, but they stop smoothly, and still with good stopping power

The curse word count did get pretty high, though

Back