BMW B58 Engine Oil Recommendation

Definitely stick with an oil that has either the BMW LL01 or the BMW LL04 CERTIFICATION. I run Ravenol VMP 5W30 which carries the BMW LL04 cert.

new package for the european bmw tpt 5-30 ll04..try this one:)

20221110140502_bmw_synthetiko_ladi_aytokinitou_twin_power_turbo_longlife_5w_30_1lt.jpeg

What about PP Euro LX 0w30?
Not sure does it have LL04 back.
BMW went away with 0WXX in 2018 in LL01 and LL04. Then I think they updated approvals and allowed again.
Reason I think they updated approvals is that Castrol Edge 0W30 lost LL01, and now it is again LL01 without changing formulation since 2016 I think.
Personally I think LX is fine regardless.

What about PP Euro LX

BMW went away with 0WXX in 2018 in LL01 and LL04. Then I think they updated approvals and allowed again.
Reason I think they updated approvals is that Castrol Edge 0W30 lost LL01, and now it is again LL01 without changing formulation since 2016 I think.
I ran the PP Euro LX 0w30 in my previous as well as my current Mini JCW engines. Did one UOA to make sure the oil was holding up well at 5000 miles...no problem detected in the results...looked great, as expected. Now I have HPL 0w30 Supercar in it as per Dave's recommendation...all 3 of my cars are running HPL oil of one type or another now.

i had a conversation with an expert who said that bmw was in negotiations with another oil blender-producer,but finally aggreed with castrol from january 2024. last time i went to dealership for the injector problem you all know, we had to make an OCI too. so i asked what they were using and they told me its still shell.but thats what is coming from big cans they use.the bottles in the screen were with new package -label at the same time.maybe they just renew the design of the bottle-label and content is still from shell.or maybe it went for api sp and added a new label.anyway this oil has the best reviews from owners.thats only when they buy it from resellers .dealership's costs twice per lt.
having done 3000km with the bmw tpt shell i have no problem.knowing that is from shell,shell makes good oils.

but i do not know about the next years bmw TPT castrol made. i don't use 5-30 castrol anymore. in europe there are plenty of fake oils with catrol label sold.furthermore castrol changes approvals so often that you have to check every 6 months which oil is the right one for your car. mediocre oils except 0-30, not as good as the us one but still good.

i have a lot of good options in 5-30. i think there are only 2 with api SP. i might try one of these,

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pdf/en_US/liqui/96/P000323 or mobil 1 esp

p.s. is this HPL the new king? there are more and more users talking about it. is it really that good?

Last edited:
p.s. is this HPL the new king? there are more and more users talking about it. is it really that good?
HPL is open (open houses that discuss technical items-not just a tour to see tanks lined up, open to direct questions, open about equipment they use, openly praise other oils when asked and even when not asked), and the UOA's shown by many people indicate HPL oils do hold up very well, even in extreme conditions and much longer OCI's than I've ever seen posted. Plus, they have a legend in Dr. Rudnick, who works there, not to mention racing programs that use HPL in hard conditions. The thing that got me is when Dave (the person that posts for HPL, and that has answered my questions personally) simply stated that a non-HPL oil someone asked about is a fine product and performs great. No "but" or "we are better" or any qualifying statements...simply that the competitor's oil performs great. Most competitors don't do any of these things. Big companies surely don't, they have all the marketing statements like "cleans 45% better" (better than what, exactly?), "maintains HP" (really? To what degree, and why?), "superior sludge protection" (how do you measure that, or prove it?). It's marketing. HPL has some marketing terms in there descriptions, but, they seem based upon pointing out VII's, AN's and Esters are specifically selected to perform a certain task as well as they can achieve by blending them with their base oil, which is also chosen specifically, and price of the ingredients aren't a prime concern. Then, I get a personal data point: a Honda K24 engine that was beginning to use oil to the point of 1 quart per 7500 miles as well as some seepage around the valve cover. I changed the PCV, and no change for the next 7500 miles. But, after 3000 or so miles running HPL 0w20, the oil loss stopped, as did the seepage. I'm up to 7500 miles and perhaps headed for around 10,000 (which is about when the maintenance Minder will tell me it's time to change it out), because I'm sure it's performing well. One data point means nothing in the big picture, but, for me, experiencing this data point means something, as does the personal response from Dave. All three of my cars now run HPL...and since I run the oils longer, it's not costing me more than before (which were always name-brand synthetic-labelled oils).

customs and taxes are expensive..i used to order almost everything from the states and uk ,but now...
there are sites from finland and uk but out of order..the company needs better deals and organise better their European sale department.

customs and taxes are expensive..i used to order almost everything from the states and uk ,but now...
there are sites from finland and uk but out of order..the company needs better deals and organise better their European sale department.
HPL oils (Green label) are only for America. So no HPL in EU

Then Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0w40 is an excellent off-the-shelf oil here. Is that available where you are?

Been a while since I’ve been here. Logged in and saw and thought what a coincidence.

Anyway 2023 BMW 840 with the B58. Did my first oil change today at 5,000 miles

Went with 0w30 BMW oil. It’s LL-01fe and SP. Sticker on the hood says 0w20 but the manual specs 0w20 or 0w30. Then is says don’t use 0w20 in the v8’s. That line gave me pause. I’m sure it probably doesn’t matter. I’ll let you guys know in a couple hundred thousand miles.

I would use M1 ESP X3 0W-40 in these engines if you don't care about approvals. It doesn't have LL-04 but I really doubt this oil is deficient in any way since it's Porsche's flagship oil and meets the MB/VW standards.

I'm sure you will be ok with the BMW oil because B58 bearings hold up really well. However, you should not use the LL-01FE oil in B58 TU with OPF IMO. This engine and OPF are designed for mid-SAPS oils. I would use a mid SAPS oil next time or you run the risk of fouling the OPF long-term. This isn't the V8 so you can safely run what your manual specifies, which will be a mid-SAPS oil, not LL-01FE.

I would use M1 ESP X3 0W-40 in these engines if you don't care about approvals. It doesn't have LL-04 but I really doubt this oil is deficient in any way since it's Porsche's flagship oil and meets the MB/VW standards.

I'm sure you will be ok with the BMW oil because B58 bearings hold up really well. However, you should not use the LL-01FE oil in B58 TU with OPF IMO. This engine and OPF are designed for mid-SAPS oils. I would use a mid SAPS oil next time or you run the risk of fouling the OPF long-term. This isn't the V8 so you can safely run what your manual specifies, which will be a mid-SAPS oil, not LL-01FE.
I think Mobil1 0W40 ESP X3 will have LL04 again.

BMW is again approving 0WXX oils for LL01 and LL04. Mobil1 didn’t carry any BMW approval since 2015. New ESP 5W30 is again LL04.
I kind of feel like X3 is a Porsche thing and hasn't been updated / won't be updated to SP anytime soon so it may be a while before it gains LL04. I agree that if it gets updated to SP it will probably appear with LL04.

Back