BMW and Prius owners are the least courteous?

Funny how people will buy a car for good fuel economy and then brag how fast it is. Works the other way too. Around here the little foreign cars with the [censored] can exhaust are the worst.

Around here, it seems that Audi drivers are the least courteous on the road..BMWs seem to go either way. Plenty of bro trucks are obnoxious also.

And yes, there is still the occasional left lane hogging Prius.

I LOVE this story from Jalopnik: "The Prius Lady" Well worth the read...

"There are two types of slow drivers in the left lane. The Enforcers and the ADL.

The Enforcers are those drivers who will drive The Speed Limit no matter what, making sure everyone behind also drives The Speed Limit. Because it is Safe. Because it is The Law. These people must always be feeling the effects of the thin air at the extreme altitudes of their moral high ground because of the way they always look at you when you pass them on the right, They KNOW you are a bad person.

Then there is the ADL, aka the Anti-Destination League. They are the oblivious cousins to the Enforcers. This pox on humanity's highways simply exists keep you from getting anywhere. Whether it is by driving 10mph slower than everyone else, riding the line with their blinker on for miles, or coming to a stop for free-flowing traffic at an on-ramp, these drivers somehow always manage to find their way into the left lane where they can inflict maximum chaos upon the driving masses. It must be a directive in the ADL Handbook. I've never actually read the thing...

This story is about a driver too disruptive for the Enforcer ranks, but I'm betting the ADL was too scared to take her on.

When I started commuting south into San Antonio every day it didn't take long to start recognizing other cars. The lifted white F-150 with emergency lights and volunteer fire department stickers. The silver Miata with a hard top that I pass most mornings leaving New Braunfels. And the Prius Lady.

I called her the Prius Lady (PL) in reference to Dana Carvey's Church Lady character from Saturday Night Live. You know the stereotype. Holier-than-thou because she drives the automotive equivalent to the Saviour of the environment. Drives 66mph in the left lane of a 70mph zone where everyone is already doing 75-80mph. Hey, I live in Central Texas, speeding is a constitutional right, right? Now you may think since I am on Jalopnik that maybe I simply profile every poor soul driving a Toyota ‘Pious', but no.

There was only one Prius with an I ♥ FERRETS bumper sticker.

PL would always get on I-35 southbound at the Cibolo ramp, around 7:15am. She would put on her left turn signal and then come across two more lanes to the fast lane, all at that same 65-66mph speed. The momentum of all three lanes would stutter, brake lights flashing as everyone else adjusted to her speed and then jockeyed for position to go around her on the right. Not seeing her on the way in to work was a good commute. Coming up behind her and getting stuck there while traffic whipped by on the right sucked. Had my fair share of both.

In those days I was still driving my GTI VR6 and I can't tell you how many times I buzzed by PL on the right in 3rd gear just to see the displeased look on her face at my combined disdain for traffic law and the environment. After a while my OEM exhaust had finally rotted away so I gleefully admit to fitting an aftermarket system along with one of the much-cussed/discussed cat-delete ‘test pipes'.

The Sound was Glorious.

I questioned all the years of my previously-held sanity, that I should not spend money that didn't need to be spent, that I should not fix that which was not broken. But now I knew. Every VR6's soul was already broken straight from the factory. Saddled with the much-reviled ‘suitcase' sound chambers. How the angels must have wept the first time those 12V head exhaust ports were free to breathe more openly. But I digress...

Commuting with the new pipe was invigorating. And if I buzzed by my old ferret-loving fellow commuter in 3rd gear it got her all excited too! There were several mornings where I almost thought she liked it, but it was not so.

On the morning of The Greatest Commute Ever I came upon ‘ol PL in the left lane and, with a quickness in my left toe and right wrist, I grabbed 3rd gear in time to slip into the middle lane and zip around her... Just in time to see the wall of brake lights. Yeah, it was bad timing on my part as I was not focused far enough ahead. So we all come to a stop, with PL right behind me for probably the first time ever. And then we proceeded to begin the stop-and-go dance.

In case you don't know, an early 12V VR6 with a mostly-open exhaust is actually pretty bassy at low RPMs. So every time we inched forward the back of my car was giving PL a nice break from that complete lack of aural stimulation that a Prius enforces upon its interior. Bunched up as we were I could clearly see her eyes widen and her lips mumble as I would start moving. Being a self-professed considerate type I thought maybe she would appreciate a change so as I rolled to a stop once again I blipped the throttle. If it works for Harley's, right?

Let me tell you it did NOT work for PL. She began talking to me through her windshield for a moment before suddenly stopping and pressing her lips together in a hard line. The next time we moved I did it again, two revs this time. That got me approximately twice the amount of reaction. Now we all know that twice can be a coincidence but three times provides the proof, so next time I rolled to a stop I gave her the full tachometer sweep and PL came unglued.

I think the best word is apoplectic. Yeah, because it looked like her head was going to pop off. When my foot went down she looked like she was bouncing off some internal rev-limiter. I began revving the motor up and down, just sitting there. She must have rolled down her window because suddenly her shaking fist appeared outside the car over her driver's mirror, proudly sporting a rigid middle finger.

By this point I'm laughing like a maniac at her completely useless, impotent rage. As I'm shaking my head something else catches my eye on the right and I look over to see the guy next to me waving like, ‘[censored], Man?' from his full-size pickup. I point over my shoulder at erupting Prius Lady and he looks back, I see the light bulb come on in his head, and he starts laughing, too. And then he waved at me again and held up his index finger in that way that people use to indicate ‘wait just a moment'. He reached downward for something, then turned and smiled, and revved his diesel engine... Yeah.

He must have had dual exhausts because black smoke poured out of both sides at the back of his truck, right over perspicacious Prius Lady's pristine Prius.

I admit, I laughed so hard that I peed a little."

Most people don't deserve to have coal rolled on them, but that is hilarious
crackmeup2.gif

Here it doesn't matter all driver's makes and models are Mc*******. I like driving 72MPH in a 65 MPH in the right lane. Because I'm by far the slowest driver. One night I'm in the right lane with my cruise set and I come to a line of cars which has to be close to 2 miles long across two lanes.

Well some young lady in a Black Honda is tailgating me then slowing down then tailgating. She can't pass on the left due to traffic. I don't know but I do believe she wanted me to pull over to the shoulder so she could pass. Well of course I will not pull over. Well after a few miles she doesn't like I will not pull over and she can't pass because both lanes are packed driving 70-75MPH for close to 2 miles on a highway. On one of the bridges she decided she had enough. So she pulled to the right and drove a good 4 miles on the right shoulder at a high rate of speed.

Nothing new on the Arizona 347.

I think what really became bad are neighborhood Facebook group pages. So, one joins to check on some useful info and 90% of posts are going like this:
You lady in black Audi. You know who you are. I was jogging today and you did not fully stop on stop sign. We can see it, and hopefully karma gets you.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I think what really became bad are neighborhood Facebook group pages. So, one joins to check on some useful info and 90% of posts are going like this:
You lady in black Audi. You know who you are. I was jogging today and you did not fully stop on stop sign. We can see it, and hopefully karma gets you.

Edy coming in with the truth bomb
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
…it doesn't matter all driver's makes and models are Mc*******.…

As long as licenses continue to be handed out like Halloween candy, nothing will change.

So fun to shame through. I was not popular sharing a blow thru 3 way stop at 20mph in front of clip on web cam with kids on bikes, pedestrians etc. No words except "please stop" Everyone in neighborhood adjacent likely knows who it was based on vehicle.

First study is by Paul K. Piff, who in my opinion is an academic racial activist. Was at UC Berkeley, now at UCI.
Second study (cited in the CNN article) mentions the first study.

Yeah … The does money make you mean guy …

We already had nice guys finish last, LoL

Originally Posted by spackard
First study is by Paul K. Piff, who in my opinion is an academic racial activist. Was at UC Berkeley, now at UCI.

I don't know if it was Piff, but around 1998 Brock Yates(IIRC) had a column in Car and Driver that referenced an article from some hand-wringing bed wetter that lectured the affluent driving public that they should not drive expensive cars because it makes other drivers feel bad.
Seriously.

Originally Posted by madRiver

So fun to shame through. I was not popular sharing a blow thru 3 way stop at 20mph in front of clip on web cam with kids on bikes, pedestrians etc. No words except "please stop" Everyone in neighborhood adjacent likely knows who it was based on vehicle.

The worst are: "I know how fast you were driving." How do they know? People have some serious free time at their hands, and that was before this crisis.

I find Corolla And Camry drivers to be far above average nuisances. Prius drivers, too. They always get somehow in the way of my BMW.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
those who have a complete lack of situational awareness.

This, and drivers today just don't care about anything but themselves and where they are going... they have many justifications about why their destination is more important than anyone else's. "Share the road" is a fond memory, for the most part.

Originally Posted by DGXR

This, and drivers today just don't care about anything but themselves and where they are going... they have many justifications about why their destination is more important than anyone else's. "Share the road" is a fond memory, for the most part.

Was it ever a thing? I recall watching a Disney cartoon as a kid, where Goofy is transformed into a "monster" behind the wheel. Motor Mania It says it is from 1950. For them to make a cartoon back then makes me think "selfish" driving goes way back farther than today.

Nothing's new under the sun and all.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I don't know if it was Piff, but around 1998 Brock Yates(IIRC) had a column in Car and Driver that referenced an article from some hand-wringing bed wetter that lectured the affluent driving public that they should not drive expensive cars because it makes other drivers feel bad.
Seriously.

Hahaha oh Jeez.

I love these types of people. "You can't drive an expensive car because it makes others feel bad". Okay, you mean the other people who are likely wealthier than I, but just choose to spend their money on different things than I do? I also love the comments people make to me as a younger (29) BMW driver. "Did daddy buy you that?" or "wow, what an expensive car are you trying to show off?". Nope, it cost under 9 grand, I work on it myself, and it's 11 years old. Most of these comments conveniently come from middle aged people or boomers in expensive SUVs that cost 4-5 times what my car did.
lol.gif
Just the fact that someone would make assuming comments like this at a gas station shows what kind of person they are. I would never assume someone's situation or comment to them about what I believed their situation to be. Must be a generational thing.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by MCompact

Seriously.

Hahaha oh Jeez.

I love these types of people. "You can't drive an expensive car because it makes others feel bad". Okay, you mean the other people who are likely wealthier than I, but just choose to spend their money on different things than I do? I also love the comments people make to me as a younger (29) BMW driver. "Did daddy buy you that?" or "wow, what an expensive car are you trying to show off?". Nope, it cost under 9 grand, I work on it myself, and it's 11 years old. Most of these comments conveniently come from middle aged people or boomers in expensive SUVs that cost 4-5 times what my car did.
lol.gif
Just the fact that someone would make assuming comments like this at a gas station shows what kind of person they are. I would never assume someone's situation or comment to them about what I believed their situation to be. Must be a generational thing.

It's not generational. It's just the old 'class envy' disease. Plenty from all generations unfortunately have been indoctrinated into that type of specious 'thinking'.

Back