Blow molded case replacement clasps

JHZR2

Staff member
IMG_5021.jpeg
I just got my hands on an old used SK 91844 set. This set is my favorite for most wrenching, as it’s compact, has a full range of sizes, and works well. The clasps on the blow molded box are both broken.

Obviously if it comes open it will be a big mess. I don’t think rubber bands will be strong, bungees too bulky.

Do replacement clasps exist? I didn’t find much of anything. I guess I could chuck the box and just get rails for the sockets. But I generally like the box…

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ok… how?
Drywall screw, of course.

I wonder if that clasp is something of a generic thing that might be found on other boxes. Find one that is being chucked (tools lost) and pull off from that? I wonder if perusing fleamarkets or the like might find something that could be borrowed from.

The remnant can be pried off, right?

@JHZR2 I'm trashing this case for a Zurich timing light. Clasps are approx 2.125" square OAH x OAW. Inner window is about 1.563 x .938"

It's yours if you want it before the landfill. Can ship Pirate Ship Ground Advantage -- should be fairly inexpensive
20240317_084809.jpg

I have an old hardshell carrying case with broken clasps. I secure the two halves with a 2- inch-wide velcro strap. The strap has a durable ABS buckle and I can zinch it.

I have an old hardshell carrying case with broken clasps. I secure the two halves with a 2- inch-wide velcro strap. The strap has a durable ABS buckle and I can zinch it.
Have a photo and link to what you use? Velcro plus clasp seems sturdy.

@JHZR2 I'm trashing this case for a Zurich timing light. Clasps are approx 2.125" square OAH x OAW. Inner window is about 1.563 x .938"

It's yours if you want it before the landfill. Can ship Pirate Ship Ground Advantage -- should be fairly inexpensive View attachment 208837
Thanks. Let me have a deeper look later when I remove the clasps. Assuming they’re removable on both and they have a reasonable chance of success, just the clasps via first clas mail may even work. Thanks!

Contact SK and see what they say. May provide for low or no cost. The cases are available for separate purchase, so the clasps may be as well.

Contact SK and see what they say. May provide for low or no cost. The cases are available for separate purchase, so the clasps may be as well.
Given their lead time on LP90 internals, you might even receive it in 6 months :)

Ok -- sorry, SORRY! My SK hate is coming out.

Given their lead time on LP90 internals, you might even receive it in 6 months :)

Ok -- sorry, SORRY! My SK hate is coming out.
Well it’s almost entirely irrelevant because their old stuff was great, and I have a lot of different SK sockets.

Once bought by the ccp and not made in USA, no thanks.

Well it’s almost entirely irrelevant because their old stuff was great, and I have a lot of different SK sockets.

Once bought by the ccp and not made in USA, no thanks.
Not irrelevant if you want product support today, but maybe I'm wrong and they'll cheerfully sell you new clasps that arrive promptly.

The LP90 stuff was made in the US, and somehow we embarrassed ourselves as a nation by screwing up a ratcheting mechanism.....which the world has been building successfully for, what, 60 years?? Maybe we can build square wheels next!!! Oooo fun!

Got 'em off if you want them:
20240317_103216.jpg

Not irrelevant if you want product support today, but maybe I'm wrong and they'll cheerfully sell you new clasps that arrive promptly.

The LP90 stuff was made in the US, and somehow we embarrassed ourselves as a nation by screwing up a ratcheting mechanism.....which the world has been building successfully for, what, 60 years?? Maybe we can build square wheels next!!! Oooo fun!

Got 'em off if you want them:View attachment 208857
Valid points. I meant since I was buying NOS and it’s now CCP.

You’re right that we should be able to make and support things. This is an area where I suspect that corporate greed and lazy employees do come to harm us.

Of course I didn’t expect support for this product…

Those do look like mine. Will try to measure later. Thanks!

I just use a strip of Gorrila tape with the end folded back to make it easy to release. If it loses its stick after a while I just put on a new piece.

Back