Blocked Grease Zerk on Snowmobile??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Yamaha snowmobile with a plugged grease fitting on the frame around the track. The fitting seems to be pressed into position, if that's possible. It does not seem to be able to be screwed out. The part this zerk lubes does not seem real critical and I think I could go a year or 2 without additional grease. The next option is I could remove the piece of frame with this fitting on to have more room to work on it. It would take a bit of work but several bolts around could be removed to get the piece off & dealt with.

Any info on dealing with a plugged zerk? Can they be pressed into position, or do all screw off? Thanks

I think they make a tool that fits over the zerk, you strike it with a hammer and it pops the zerk open.

This is a 2006 Vector snowmobile. Yes it does seem like they are tac welded in place. As far as the hammer tool, it's in to tight of a location. I'd have to take it out 1st. I think my next step may be to look into taking the part off to work with off the machine. I did try pretty hard to get some grease on there already. It seems totally frozen up. The part with the fitting is only the width of the track, near the back.

Just an FYI for you. That‘s if you don‘t know already. The grease zerks on the Yamaha skid are tacked welded in. This is a common complaint from Yamaha owners. When applying grease. The grease will ooze out between the grease fitting and the suspension part to be greased. It is very hard to get grease in there like that! Some guys suggest to use an air powered grease gun. Others like my self are using JB weld to seal up the grease fitting. Also the skid uses very thin plastic bushings. If your not greasing the skid regularly . These bushings will wear out fast.
Good Luck .

JB weld to seal up the grease fitting?? Is this done in some way to protect it until the next grease job?

I guess the JB is used to hold a new grease fitting in place, after taking out the blocked one??

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
JB weld to seal up the grease fitting?? Is this done in some way to protect it until the next grease job?

Answer is NO.You are sealing up the threads around the grease fitting. That would be the portion that is not welded. So now when greasing the pressure of the grease will actually go to the intended parts.
I suppose you could JB weld a new fitting in. But I would be carefull when greaseing it. Don't be to rough with it. It may pull out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back