Bimmer owners - Any decent used model?

Hopefully it’s reliable. I’ve put like 5k miles on and I’m at least 1k in parts alone

Buy a BMW they said…
It will be reliable they said…
I don't understand the point of your post.
1. It is not a new car. The older it gets, the more investment it needs to be again safe and sound.
2. It is a performance limousine. Suspension parts are designed with performance in mind, and regardless of their size and quality, they do wear faster bcs. they are tuned like that.
3. At 105k I replaced all suspension parts, coolant hoses etc. Guess what? I needed complete suspension work on a Toyota Sienna at 85k, and on the BMW, I did preventively not bcs. shocks were leaking, like on Toyota.

BMW's, bcs. of its nature, shows off faster and more abruptly when parts wear out. Worn bushing on BMW is immediately noticed bcs. they are very tight, for a reason. On my appliance vehicles, worn bushings are not as noticeable as they are from get-go are mushy, etc. However, that does not mean they are OK.

I've been dailying a 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i (M54 engine) for about 14 years now (!!!). It's got 171,000 miles on the dash. Got it when it had about 50,000.

I've had to fix these things from memory:
-valve cover gasket 2X
-expansion tank 4X
-water pump 2X
-radiator 3X
-oil pan gasket (hardest job by far)
-alternator 2X (bought a cheap alternator the first time lol)
-A/C compressor
-Oil filter housing gasket
-DISA valve
-Intake boot
-a few coil packs

... and that's all what I can remember engine wise. Obviously I didn't include spark plugs, filters, etc. I put off the oil pan gasket for YEARS since it was a slow leak. But these past few years it had been speeding up and I couldn't take it anymore. I was dreading it because the subframe has to come down to get to it. Did it with the help of my dad and it was a big PITA job but definitely worth it now to have zero oil leaks lol.

I've fixed all of this myself, which was actually mostly a joy to work on because although it is German, the location of some things are super easy. As you can see, the achilles heel of BMW is usually the cooling. But, you can save yourself in time by periodically looking at your engine, and checking for leaks, smells, or anything out of the ordinary. Many of these things I've fixed were caught early because of me looking at my engine from time to time.

In the end, I absolutely love this **** car. RWD, 6 speed, NA inline 6 = heaven to me. Enough power to have fun and not enough to get into trouble. Love it!
I haven’t been on the forum in years but a gentleman did 300k on his 2006 E90 years ago dispelling the myth that BMWs don’t last or cost more than a teenager’s food to operate

I don't understand the point of your post.
1. It is not a new car. The older it gets, the more investment it needs to be again safe and sound.
2. It is a performance limousine. Suspension parts are designed with performance in mind, and regardless of their size and quality, they do wear faster bcs. they are tuned like that.
3. At 105k I replaced all suspension parts, coolant hoses etc. Guess what? I needed complete suspension work on a Toyota Sienna at 85k, and on the BMW, I did preventively not bcs. shocks were leaking, like on Toyota.

BMW's, bcs. of its nature, shows off faster and more abruptly when parts wear out. Worn bushing on BMW is immediately noticed bcs. they are very tight, for a reason. On my appliance vehicles, worn bushings are not as noticeable as they are from get-go are mushy, etc. However, that does not mean they are OK.
The point is that people often overlook things on these cars. Basically shows that a cheap BMW is an expensive BMW. They might be "reliable" but will cost a lot of money - like any other car. I could have spent more money than I paid for my car getting the work done at a dealership.

Also, BMW can't make a gasket that doesn't leak or plastic that doesn't break

The point is that people often overlook things on these cars. Basically shows that a cheap BMW is an expensive BMW. They might be "reliable" but will cost a lot of money - like any other car. I could have spent more money than I paid for my car getting the work done at a dealership.

Also, BMW can't make a gasket that doesn't leak or plastic that doesn't break
Any neglected car is expensive car. There are no cheap neglected cars today.
Gaskets are fine on mine. Actually, notorious VCG (which is issue on many vehicles, including Lexus) I changed at 135,000 only because I broke right hand brake line and needed to take out cover in order to replace it. That being said, the oil cooler might have an impact on the longevity of the gaskets on my engine.

How are the most recent 2.0 turbo twin power 4 cylinder engines holding up? Seems every auto manufacturer has a 2liter turbo engine now a days and most seem to do pretty well. VW for instance has the EA888 gen4 and besides the water pump/ thermostat the are reliable.

If you get an e9x try to find one with the sport seats. Here is my smooth dash e90. Oyster / aluminum has definitely become one of my fav combos. View attachment 205628
The sport package was $1400 on my car. The seats, 18” staggered tires, sport shocks, external engine oil cooler, all came with the ZSP. At the time, people said it was worth it for the seats alone. It was an odd time (2007 MY), as if engineers ran buck wild and accountants were ok with it.

I also passed on iDrive and funny how XM was optional (no receiver in my car). Back then, BMWs were truly about driving. It wasn’t strange to have a clutch. E92s were worth waiting for (mine took 9 weeks to build). We tracked the progress and then the ships they were loaded onto. What a different time.

Any neglected car is expensive car. There are no cheap neglected cars today.
Gaskets are fine on mine. Actually, notorious VCG (which is issue on many vehicles, including Lexus) I changed at 135,000 only because I broke right hand brake line and needed to take out cover in order to replace it. That being said, the oil cooler might have an impact on the longevity of the gaskets on my engine.
Yours must have been made on a Thursday. I had to do the VCG and also the OPG is leaking as well. I don't have oil cooler, as I really don't want to worry about an oil cooler gasket leaking.

I guess it is luck and maintenacne. My dad's e90 had the center support bearing go out soon after buying it, the front differential failed, the oil pan gasket was leaking all over the floor, the valve cover gasket was leaking, the oil filter housing gasket started leaking, power steering lines leaking, TPMS stopped working, valve cover gasket started leaking, spark plugs started misfiring, ETC. I told him to get rid of it before anything else happens and he agreed.

Yours must have been made on a Thursday. I had to do the VCG and also the OPG is leaking as well. I don't have oil cooler, as I really don't want to worry about an oil cooler gasket leaking.

I guess it is luck and maintenacne. My dad's e90 had the center support bearing go out soon after buying it, the front differential failed, the oil pan gasket was leaking all over the floor, the valve cover gasket was leaking, the oil filter housing gasket started leaking, power steering lines leaking, TPMS stopped working, valve cover gasket started leaking, spark plugs started misfiring, ETC. I told him to get rid of it before anything else happens and he agreed.
It is not luck.
Most people buy the cheapest gaskets, etc., change it, and then someone buys that car, and then things start to fail and catch up.
Don't forget, I track my car too and goes through much more than average E90. Then in winter spends every week in cold country through snow, salt etc.

I worked at a BMW dealer last summer and none of the mechanics had a BMW. 🤔
I had an E39 BMW and the shop foreman at the BMW specialty place said it was the most reliable BMW in recent years. He bought one for his wife. Problem is they're getting old and yet they're still worth a lot.

They would probably run for a few hundred thousand miles if you could do the repairs and maintenance yourself.

How are the most recent 2.0 turbo twin power 4 cylinder engines holding up? Seems every auto manufacturer has a 2liter turbo engine now a days and most seem to do pretty well. VW for instance has the EA888 gen4 and besides the water pump/ thermostat the are reliable.
Cooling system issues post warranty

I would skip n20 n26 unless you are in the sulev state to get that 150k warranty. Find a 330e or 530e ( I have one ) and do regular maintenance and you should be

I would skip n20 n26 unless you are in the sulev state to get that 150k warranty. Find a 330e or 530e ( I have one ) and do regular maintenance and you should be good for a long time

I had an E39 BMW and the shop foreman at the BMW specialty place said it was the most reliable BMW in recent years. He bought one for his wife. Problem is they're getting old and yet they're still worth a lot.

They would probably run for a few hundred thousand miles if you could do the repairs and maintenance yourself.
I would qualify this with the M5. It was way, way, way, overbuilt. I have a former friend who had the 530, 540, and M5. The 540 was a handful, but the other two reliable. My cousin has the M5, purchased in 2008 4 years old, 3rd party, $29k. He still drives it today. What a bargain that was. It was $80k new in 2004.

I haven’t been on the forum in years but a gentleman did 300k on his 2006 E90 years ago dispelling the myth that BMWs don’t last or cost more than a teenager’s food to operate
That guy is still on the forums, and his 2006 E90 325i now has over 400k on it.

The big problem are 18-20yr old owners. I am member of local Facebook group bcs. one can stumble on some accessories being sold etc. But focus is really “tuning” 335 to get best 0-60 and 1/4 mile. But the way they do it? Man, I wouldn’t take those cars if someone paid me monthly fee to drive it. They are popular bcs. they don’t need too many upgrades like Subaru etc. to deliver speed, but sloppiness, cheap parts etc. Yuck. Then someone buys car from people like that…

Checking the oil with the computer is simple. Changing it isnt too bad either as BMW does put holes in the underpan to work through. Otheres like Mercedes,Bently,Porsch, Audi don't.

But if you are wanting Toyota/ Lexus reliability you won't be happy with an european car.

I am suprised at how fast they are! They also keep all 10 of us where I'm working busy. We have no less than 40 in the lot at any given day.

Most owners understand that they are problematic and often not fixed in 1 day so plan on having a 2nd car ready to go.

Checking the oil with the computer is simple. Changing it isnt too bad either as BMW does put holes in the underpan to work through. Otheres like Mercedes,Bently,Porsch, Audi don't.

But if you are wanting Toyota/ Lexus reliability you won't be happy with an european car.

I am suprised at how fast they are! They also keep all 10 of us where I'm working busy. We have no less than 40 in the lot at any given day.

Most owners understand that they are problematic and often not fixed in 1 day so plan on having a 2nd car ready to go.
Funny you mention it…my 335i has a trap hinged door for the drain plug. Also, one can confidently lift the entire front from a front jack point.

The LS430 simply bends the plastic underbelly back by design, in order to get to the drain plug, weakening it over time. Truly different styles of engineering.

Oddly enough, I had a dream the other night that somehow I was the owner of a BMW and I was clicking through the gears in a rainstorm. Which is weird as I don't aspire to own one, and I've only ever been in one once, and certainly not driving (an M3 of some sort).

I know they are not exotic overseas but over here they seem like it.

Back