Best/Worst Advice You Ever Got?

When I don’t know something, I ask, and I will never be ashamed about that. If y'all want to put me down for asking a question, so be it. That’s a reflection of your character, not of mine.
I'm glad you asked the question, I didn't understand slo town's comment either, but wanted to.

Nobody put you down, sometimes replies get "lost in translation".

The worst advice I ever gave was back in July 1974 when I was vacationing in London. At a local restaurant I was working off my bill after I got caught trying to slip out the backdoor.

A lady said she'd like to have a ham and cheese to go but felt guilty about it. I told her one more couldn't hurt and to go for it.
That young lady was Cass Elliot... better known as Momma Cass.

The worst advice I ever gave was back in July 1974 when I was vacationing in London. At a local restaurant I was working off my bill after I got caught trying to slip out the backdoor.

A lady said she'd like to have a ham and cheese to go but felt guilty about it. I told her one more couldn't hurt and to go for it.
That young lady was Cass Elliot... better known as Momma Cass.
You killed the woman!?

Trust me it wasn’t you

When I don’t know something, I ask, and I will never be ashamed about that. If y'all want to put me down for asking a question, so be it. That’s a reflection of your character, not of mine.
I guess I must be missing something. You originally asked "What does this mean?" I answered, explaining that, unlike many others, I never got parental words of wisdom, nor did I have siblings who could offer their advice.

To which you replied, "I meant what does “being a ‘an opening’” mean?" (BTW, I said being "an a opening".) When I corrected your misquote asked you replied , "Hope that has worked out for you."

To which I answered, "It did. Thanks.", assuming you were actually talking about the best advice someone received in their lifetime. Surely you couldn't be hung up on the meaning of "a opening". Really?

I spent 28 years working for a Fortune 20 company and earned an outstanding reputation for playing fair and being a straight shooter. In fact, after giving a technical update to the executive team during a particularly onerous project, I had a VP say to me afterwards (in private) that "Great job, Scott. You have a way of getting the truth out without angering people." He went on to say, "What impresses me most about you is that I don't think you have any enemies in the company." Flattering words that made my day!

Which takes me back to the advice I was given by that first manager - "Nothing will get you fired around here faster than being an "a opening". Taking this advice to heart was without question the best advice I ever received in my life. I had a career than most people would envy. Probably the biggest part of my career success was treating my colleagues with respect and consideration.

I now realize your original question was directed to the "an a opening". Are you really asking what that means? If so, my reference to "an a opening" relates to the place "where the sun doesn't shine" or "stick it up your...". To me my reference was obvious. To further make my point, Preparation H is a well known treatment for people having problems with their "a opening".

Does that answer your question?

And to further clarify one of my subsequent comments about being a "straight shooter". By no means does that mean I shot and killed people at work!!! What that cliche means is that I played fair, told the truth, and didn't talk out of both sides of my mouth.

And BTW, talking out of "both sides of my mouth" - that means telling one person one thing and another person something else. I never did that because that would have been "a opening" behavior, at least by my definition.

I'm glad we finally cleared this up!

Scott

Last edited:
Back