Best value/quality digital caliper?

My 40x50 in CO is only heated w wood and thus - obviously - only when I'm in there. It typically doesn't get much under 30 in the shop even on single digit nights....but I've never once since 2006 had a problem with Mit digis in the shop and I'm a machinist.

I rock the silver/gray IP66/7 and my favorite is my Mit solars-- no more batteries ever. Biggest issue with the solars is I've gotta remember to store them face down or they just stay on..

Now, my AcuRite DRO on my one mill has a dim display when cold but warms up within a few minutes....

But seriously, I'm just not tracking with complaints of digi Mits and cold. Maybe I need like Wisconsin cold to get it?

I’m going to humbly suggest that you reconsider that “not going to heat my shop” position.

I’ve got a 10,000 watt King garage heater (yeah, it draws about 50A at 220V, so, you’ve got to have the wiring) and it is soooo nice to walk into the shop on a day like today and leave my coat in the car.

I keep it about 65F. That’s pretty warm, but electricity is included in my (outrageously high) rent.
Sounds like a beast of a heater. Say electricity wasn’t included. What’s it cost to run and maintain at that temp if you don’t mind?

10kw x $.12 (for us) per kw would be $1.20 an hour full blast. Just under $30 a day. Obviously it’d work less once up to temp and if thermostatically controlled.

You really can’t go wrong with electric heat in some situations. No gas lines, tanks, etc. ,but one must do the math as well.

*** “Free” electricity.. if that didn’t include natural gas or LP, I would be having all electric appliances including heat.

@dlundblad - I don’t know the duty cycle (run vs. non running time) but your math is fascinating. When it’s cold out (like today, 30F) I suspect it’s running about 10% of the time, just from what it’s like when I’m down there.

I pay a lot in rent. Knowing I’m getting a bit back pleases me.

Walking into a warm shop? Absolutely worth it.

@dlundblad - I don’t know the duty cycle (run vs. non running time) but your math is fascinating. When it’s cold out (like today, 30F) I suspect it’s running about 10% of the time, just from what it’s like when I’m down there.

I pay a lot in rent. Knowing I’m getting a bit back pleases me.

Walking into a warm shop? Absolutely worth it.
It all depends on what you (or your landlord) pay per kilowatt hour, but here it’s around $.12 for us with what we use.

I have no idea what’s good or bad. I just pay the bill. Lol

it's not 2 bucks every few years. Try 2 bucks month or 2
If eating through batteries that often, I'd take them out too, but (especially if the LR44 cells), you can get bulk of 20+ at a time on ebay for around 10 cents each... though a non-memory caliper using the CR2032, can still be cheaper to operate. Mine gets about 1-2 years out of 1 x CR2032.

As you said Mit.
But don't go digital.
I use the basic dial models for all serious measurements.
Dial is fine, but you can't read in between the lines, or guessestimate when the indicator is in between the line increments. This is why digital indicators became popular because it's more idiot proof, like like dial indicators replaced the vernier calipers

After working as a QA Engineer & inspector for 30 plus years, there is no brand I would ever consider for digital other than Mitutoyo based on accuracy and reliability. I really like digital both for the floating zero and also inch to mm conversion.

I always liked B & S for dial calipers, but that was many years ago. Not sure if they are still as good

It was 6 degrees when I got up this morning. 9 degrees when I walked out to the shop. 28 degrees inside my insulated but non-heated steel building

At 28 degrees after cold soaking all night both my solar and "regular" Mitutoyos seemed to work fine to me (shrug)
20220203_085134.jpg
20220203_085220.jpg

Back