Best value/quality digital caliper?

In the past, Mitutoyo has been an expensive but otherwise great choice. I absolutely despise the cheap HF type calipers that always have dead batteries, faulty displays and cheap plastic battery covers that break. So I purchased a really nice Starrett dial caliper. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost it.

Do you guys have any specific suggestions for a digital caliper that is reasonably priced, not Chinese and won't be dead when I go to use it?

I know you specifically mentioned no harbor freight but let me tell you about my harbor freight caliper. I sat there and opened all the boxes in the store checking out each caliper holding them up to the light and checking tolerances in the jaws. I found one I liked and it has been great ever since. I’ve probably had it at least 3 years and I’m still on the original battery. I always store the caliper with the battery removed so it doesn’t drain it down. I know the better caliper draw less power when being stored but removing the battery works fine for me. Maybe you can buy a used mitu caliper on eBay?

Really? With digital you have the exact measurement without having to interpret the reading of a pointer, not to mention instant conversion from metric to standard.
Yes because I use them every day
and I trust a high quality non digital unit far more than a digital one.
Plus reading one to me is old hat.

For conversions yes a digital is easy
and I use them next to my machines.

Tesa Brown and Sharpe, IP67 . Only if Swiss made. Who knows what’s happening. I bought mine on eBay and they are Swiss. Mitutoyo is always top notch, like Starrett. Another one I have used is Kanon. This seems too cheap to be Swiss but even if not, they are made to the standards.

Reactions: Y_K
I do want a digital. As I can let it do the math. But I’m not a frequent user anymore. And I really don’t want to take the battery out after each use. That’s how I broke the battery door on every one of my Chinese calipers.

My Harbor Freight one drains the battery in no time flat so I always take it out until I need to use it. I used it yesterday and the display freaked out so it may be on it's last legs. I need to look into getting something else.

Mitutoyo if I had to buy digital.
My Mitutoyo digital mics are great.
I still prefer my dial calipers and my friction mics.
I use both daily, I work in the aerospace field.
Digital is good if you needcto change your zero point.

so it works when you need it. they won't last 6 months left in the caliper
I have a pair of 5 year old Mitutoyo digital 8” calipers still on the factory battery and they get used 5 days a week, 12 hours a day, and I rarely remember to turn them off so the LCD is on all the time.

just fyi most ebay calipers are fakes.

maybe not a 20 year old analog one.. but the people selling multiples.. 90%+ fake.

My Mitutoyo digital died after 20 odd years....I don't think I ever replaced a battery in it. I got a Limit digital caliper a few years ago, they are a Swedish company, it has metric, Imperial and fractions. I like the fractions because You know you are dealing with Imperial sizing straight away without trying to figure out the decimal thing. The first battery lasted several years, replacement batteries don't.

As you said Mit.
But don't go digital.
I use the basic dial models for all serious measurements.
Anything too serious should be measured with micrometers. There is no difference in accuracy between dial and digital.
——————-

OP will be fine with digital as well as battery life. The batteries can last years. Mitutoyo is my pick as well. I have some Swiss made ones only because I bought them nearly new for $20. Can’t remember the brand. They aren’t user friendly though. Had them about 2 years with the original battery.

Back