Best rustproofing options for a new vehicle?

The best rust preventative is a good paint. Once you oil it up you can never paint it. Well yeah but the cost to clean ALL the oil off would be very high. New vehicle, make sure it is painted real good, and let the paint cure then oil it if that is what you need or want.
Paint doesn't need to be reapplied every year or so. It just needs to be applied the correct way.
I take it you have not actually seen how rust develops? And why would you paint the underside when it's already painted?

Reactions: JTK
Not a fan of this guy but he is right. If paint didn't work good then there would be no reason to paint anything right?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxVfRuPyIQM
The problem always with underside paint is, its not applied correctly at the manufacture (though between body panel paint holds up okay), like no scuffing the surfaces, no primer etc. If done right and not using water colors the paint would work great.
You say why paint its already painted? Then how come you can look under a new car and see tons of unpainted rusty parts everywhere? And its been like that as long as I have been looking under new cars, I think the first was a 1957 or 8 chev?
You need to clean any rust off you see and paint, not painting over the dirt like you do with oil sprays.
You can even get 2 part paint in spray cans, I don't think any manufacture has ever used epoxy paints on anything under any vehicle.

Last edited:
I was thinking that Kentucky weather would be about the same was what we have here since it's roughly the same latitude.

Elizabethtown is right in the middle of Kentucky and gets about 65% of the snowfall as Baltimore.

1697577577558.jpg

Fluid Film and Woolwax has been my mainstays for close to 10+ years. That being said, I have been using the PB Blaster Surface Shield since last year and just did my second application last week on my Jeep. Surface Shield is lanoline based like the other two products mentioned but does seem to go on a little thicker and stays on better through the Winter season.

I would avoid that Zeibart coating junk like the plague. Seen first hand with my Grandfather's Cadillac that he had it applied to and serviced every year with a follow up application. Total rust bucket of a shell under that coating.

20231013_123715.jpg

I've also converted to Surface Shield from Fluid Film - both are lanolin based products except the former does not have a funky smell. In high wash areas like fender wells, where lanolin does not hold up as well, I used CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor which is a cosmoline product. It's made for marine applications. Cosmoline for durability, lanolin for creep. Before I do this, I inverted a power washer surface cleaner so it behaves as a chassis cleaner. I combine that with Star Brite Salt Off (also a marine application) to wash off road salt.

Woolwax is the only oil undercoating on the market made from up to 100% lanolin, and no petroleum based ingredients to affect rubber or plastic. Fluid Film contains up to 100% petroleum based ingredients, while Surface Shield contains up to 85% petroleum based ingredients. Most people are surprised to learn this because they are all often referred to as lanolin undercoating, but the MSDS sheet lists the ingredients for each product.

Last edited:
Will the oil based undercoating hold up in the winter when you take your car through a car wash that cleans the underside??? Also after the stuff cures will a underside wash cause it to drip in the garage floor and leave oil stains???

I live just south of Cincinnati so it’s maybe a bit more wintery here.
We used to get a LOT more (anybody remember 1978?), but we still have enough. If ODOT & the Transportation Cabinet would just stop spraying that @&#$ brine every time the weatherman (mis-)predicts any winter weather…

Will the oil based undercoating hold up in the winter when you take your car through a car wash that cleans the underside??? Also after the stuff cures will a underside wash cause it to drip in the garage floor and leave oil stains???
Best thing to do is take a couple dusty gravel road trips after applying oil (in hot weather so the oil or wax creeps everywhere)-the dust sticks to all of it (& protects it from washing off IMO).

NH Coatings says not to use under carriage wash after you have applied their product.

The products drip a little but that can be washed off. Not like a motor oil stain.

NH Coatings says not to use under carriage wash after you have applied their product.

The products drip a little but that can be washed off. Not like a motor oil stain.
Thats a no for me... In the winter with a lot of salt being put on the roads here in Louisville I like taking it to a car wash to get the salt off the body and the undercarriage...without that the salt will keep building up throughout the winter season...On my last car the 07 Accord with NO undercoating that is what I did and the undercarriage was rust free and still had the gray paint from the factory in place...

No need to waste time and money washing your undercarriage ever again if you apply a lanolin undercoating product like Woolwax once a year. You get full protection against corrosion from salt and brine without doing anything else, and washing the undercarriage actually degrades the performance of the product. Woolwax doesn't drip at all after application, and they make a brush on product called Woolwax HV that is thick like bearing grease to really stick to high wash areas.

Last edited:
There are several creeping oil based products. NH Coatings, CarWell, Krown, Noxudol. It may come down to a near-by place that can do the application. And how good a job the guy does doing the application.

NH Coatings has a black tinted and a clear-ish version of the product. And they have a thick version you apply with a brush on areas where there may be wash off from road spray.

Serious question for you Donald, do you even feel the need for rustproofing where you live? I mean I hear it doesn't even snow there. And I'm not referring to just last winter. I know a guy who went to Salisbury State and said it never snowed the whole time.

Local rust proofing guy switched to Corrosion Free. https://corrosionfree.com/

Here is the Canadian Military Test Report https://corrosionfree.com/wp-conten...t-of-Defence-Report-Highlighted-Text-copy.pdf

I had him run me through the process and I like what I saw. They completely wash the undercarriage with a neutralizer to get dirt and salt off. Then they spray this on and even inside all the frame/door holes etc. Lasts about 2 winters. After the first application, the subsequent applications are 1/2 off.

I can see the point of that. Here in Wisconsin the temp seldom rises above freezing from mid-December through mid-February. I will go with the assumption that my NH Oil-n-Wax treatment keeps the salt at bay without an undercarriage flush.

Serious question for you Donald, do you even feel the need for rustproofing where you live? I mean I hear it doesn't even snow there. And I'm not referring to just last winter. I know a guy who went to Salisbury State and said it never snowed the whole time.
So my truck has been sprayed yearly since I bought the truck and I think the truck was two years old when I bought it. But I lived in upstate NY until January 2022. And I happened to be in NY in the fall of 2022 and got it sprayed with NH Coatings.

So most years it does not snow a lot in southern Delaware. However they do put down brine ahead of snow storms and then sometimes it does not really snow or snows and melts right away.

But I would really like to get another 10 years out of my truck.

Back