Best local/mail order oil for turbo Saab 9.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: randomdude
Originally Posted By: Lucky
I had a 900 SE turbo and a wise Saab mechanic recommended Rotella T6 5w-40. Durable, tough oil for a hard use application.

While I appreciate the comment, the 900 engine is a TOTALLY different world all together, even though both are 2.0 turbo. 9.3 is a ecotec.

9-3 and 9-5 got the Ecotec engines (for the inline-4) after the face-lift around 2003. Before that, they had the Saab-H engine, which would be somewhat equivalent to a 900NG.

.I would Use Mobil 1 and a good oil filter like an ultra, forget the mail order $$$$$ oils, seriously..If you really want to get really expensive engine oil through the mail don't forget to get stick on racing stripes to make it run really fast. Only kidding those stripes don't seem to work very well...lol

All these Saabs have a coking problem in the pan due to the CAT being right there next to the oil pick-up. They'll plug the oil pick-up screen and starve for oil. The only solution is to drop the pan and clean it once every 50K or so. AND use high detergent synthetic oil. All the OM's call for full or semi-syn. No dino oil.

I tried Mobil1 in my 01 9-5 2.3t and it rattled like a can of marbles on cold start. The AC Delco filter was the worst. The Fram 3600 EG was pretty good. The quietest was/is the Napa Gold (WIX). That's all about the anti-drain-back-valve (ADBV). They are sensitive to this...

Delo 400 was the quietest, but that was only one change just after a screen cleaning. Since then it's been on Rotella T6 and seems fine. I realize this is a somewhat different engine, but it should be equivalent. I don't think they moved the CAT between 01 and 03 ...

Last edited:
9-3 and 9-5 got the Ecotec engines (for the inline-4) after the face-lift around 2003. Before that, they had the Saab-H engine, which would be somewhat equivalent to a 900NG. [/quote]

The 9-5 actually never saw the GM based 2.0 EcoTec....it had the old H motor with the digital ignition cassette (DIC) right up until they stopped making the 9-5. The 9-3 had the GM motor from 03 and up.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
All these Saabs have a coking problem in the pan due to the CAT being right there next to the oil pick-up. They'll plug the oil pick-up screen and starve for oil. The only solution is to drop the pan and clean it once every 50K or so. AND use high detergent synthetic oil. All the OM's call for full or semi-syn. No dino oil.

I tried Mobil1 in my 01 9-5 2.3t and it rattled like a can of marbles on cold start. The AC Delco filter was the worst. The Fram 3600 EG was pretty good. The quietest was/is the Napa Gold (WIX). That's all about the anti-drain-back-valve (ADBV). They are sensitive to this...

Delo 400 was the quietest, but that was only one change just after a screen cleaning. Since then it's been on Rotella T6 and seems fine. I realize this is a somewhat different engine, but it should be equivalent. I don't think they moved the CAT between 01 and 03 ...

The 2006 9-3 had the GM EcoTech 2.0 which did not suffer this issue. Only the pre-03 9-3 and the 99-01 9-5 with the H motor. The 2.0 took 2 more quarts of oil and had a far better oil cooler and the converter was behind the motor not underneath it.

Originally Posted By: Realfine69
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

The 2006 9-3 had the GM EcoTech 2.0 which did not suffer this issue. Only the pre-03 9-3 and the 99-01 9-5 with the H motor. The 2.0 took 2 more quarts of oil and had a far better oil cooler and the converter was behind the motor not underneath it.

There is something to say in reply to both of these-
BL- I'm not sure which manual you are referencing, but my manual specifies FULL SYN ONLY! And prior to dropping the pan, AutoRX can cure some cases.
Rf69- The coking/sludge issue can happen in any 9.3, if certain parameters aren't met. The two main culprits are, people NOT using FULL syn oil, and, lack of proper PCV function.

And again, for all the people mentioning H motors and 900's, i did specify that the car in question is 2006 9.3 2.0T
wink.gif

My old friend was very happy with Mobil1 0W40 after the cylinder head and oil rings replacement - Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 and Mobil Super 3000 5W40 was perfirming good as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back