Best interior glass cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

I know this question has been asked numerous times but here I go anyway. For the INTERIOR GLASS I have used Windex (all variations) and products like Invisible Glass (all variations) with less than stellar results. As far as the interior they all seem to spread the "slime" around but not remove it. I have tried numerous things to apply but the results are always the same, BAD! What am I missing??

Back when I was trucking, Stoner Invisible Glass was the best I found. Truck mirrors were hard to clean, and had to be cleaned all the time during bad weather.

Just recently bought a bottle of Zep streak free glass cleaner from Lowe's Home Improvement, and it worked pretty dang good. I like it.

I prefer Sprayway glass cleaner. But honestly, the trick to getting a clean windshield has less to do with the cleaner you use, and much, much more to do with the method. Here is one that works quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axI5Luw0Eos

My personal method for cleaning inside glass:

1) Spray Sprayway on a shop paper towel and thoroughly clean the windshield.
2) Repeat with a microfiber towel.
3) Again clean with Sprayway and a microfiber towel, but only a very small amount of cleaner.
4) Buff to a streak free surface using a dry microfiber towel.

Last edited:
I've been using 4 oz White Vinegar plus 4 oz Alcohol (I use the 91% stuff) plus a tablespoon of corn starch in a spray bottle. If the Vinegar small gets to you add a few drops of essential oil that suits you. Pour everything into a spray bottle and be sure to shake up before use as the Corn starch will settle out. Others say you can use Vodka for the Rubbing Alcohol but why waste that!
smile.gif

Please remember it's Corn Starch and not Baking Soda........they may look alike but not when mixed with Vinegar
lol.gif

I use it on mirrors and glass with a microfiber cloth. You can scale the recipe for more or less but this yields one cup.

It has a lot to do with the amount of product you use. I am currently using Meguiars window cleaner and applying it VERY sparingly to a paper towel.

Been using Wolfgang Perfekt Vision Glass Cleaner this year. Why!!! Just wanted to give it a try.
Not saying its the best, but does seem to work like so many of the other glass cleaner.
Think the secret is to use a clean microfiber towel to wipe it down good after spraying the glass or mirrors.

Get yourself a couple good quality waffle weave microfiber glass towels. I would say the towel is more important than the cleaner.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Instead of a cloth use newspaper and whatever cleaner you have handy.

This was the usual way to clean glass but the high cost of newspaper plus the soy ink they use that smears has eliminated them for the average owner. There are microfiber cloths specifically for glass cleaning.

For example, our local newspaper will cost close to $600 a year. For that you get yesterday's news and about 12-16 pages of junk. That is of course if it is delivered. That's iffy as well.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Get yourself a couple good quality waffle weave microfiber glass towels. I would say the towel is more important than the cleaner.
Agreed.

Using paper towels, I always end up with smears, no matter what cleaner I use. Using MF towels is much better.

I use sprayway, first clean I use a microfiber towel/rag, second cleaning I use a glass paper towel (its special lint free type)

Invisible Glass works perfectly for our family's fleet, complete with toddler hand and dog nose smudges. I use it on interior and exterior glass with equal resolve. I have also found Optimum ONR to work great on exterior glass and mirrors. In the winter I've been known to keep washer fluid in a spray bottle to use on the exterior glass as needed.

KD cloth and forget about sprays, paper towels and the mess associated with all that.

My wife told me about these a couple/few yrs ago and I ignored her. Don't be like me!
One day last year I thought I'd give it a try and I haven't looked back since.

Simply wet once, wring and wipe to a streak free finish. It's that simple!

The cloths are machine washable and last forever. The one my wife handed me was soiled/black looking but it still worked great.
I've used the same cloth doing my truck windows and my wife's car. I just re wet it between vehicles, wrung it and I was good to go again.
The time this saves is something to not ignore either, let alone dealing with all the wet paper towels, rags, newspapers.

I am not a seller nor do I have a cent invested in the company. Just sharing my experience with them.
cheers3.gif

https://www.kdcloth.com/

Last edited:
Stoner's Invisible glass. I've never had good luck with microfiber towels and glass - they always end up hazing so I use soft paper towels.

For the interior windshield, I use IPA 70% dilute 50/50. That's is invisible glass for you.

Scotch-Brite scouring pad, the brown one, not the green.

scour pad

Hot water, and generous amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid in a bucket...

Film is oil and grease from engine...

Careful of Chrome and paint, you can scratch them.
Dip scour pad in bucket, circular motion on window.
Wipe with clean cotton cloth, old t-shirt works...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by walterjay
Instead of a cloth use newspaper and whatever cleaner you have handy.

Every time there is a discussion on the subject of cleaning windshields, someone brings up the old newspaper method. Is the suggestion of using newspaper for cleaning some type of long running joke? I cannot recommend using newspaper.

I tried cleaning auto glass with newspapers decades ago. The results were awful. First, newspaper isn't flexible enough to lay on the windshield very well, unless you saturate it with glass cleaner. It shouldn't take that much glass cleaner to clean a windshield. But the real negative is when I was done I had newspaper ink all over my hands. And it doesn't take a genius to realize that if I have ink on my hands, there is also ink on the windshield. The results were lousy. I had to clean the windshield again with regular towels. (This was long before microfiber towels.)

Seriously, microfiber towels aren't that expensive. If you are cheap, find somewhere else to go cheap.

Without knowing what the "slime" is, it's tough to give you a specific recommendation. If it's just the usual "buildup" on all interior glass, then the following should work really well:

1. Microfiber cloth that has been wet with REALLY hot water. Squeeze out most of the water.

2. Dry terry cloth towel. Look for something with a medium nap/density. No need for dense egyptian cotton bath towels or those pitiful and scrawny/cruddy painters towels.

A hot/damp microfiber towel will clean all the grime off the inside glass. Go over it once, then flip to the other side and go over it again. Be precise and use elbow grease.

Then while the glass is still damp, use the terry cloth towel to dry.

The reason you dry with terry cloth is that it doesn't leave behind "micro lint" that microfiber towels can deposit. For some reason, this micro lint just does not blow off on its own, but terry cloth lint will.

This method has always beat any spray cleaner for me.

A friend of mine gave me one of these. Does anyone know the name of it? It works extremely well. All you do is wet it. No cleaner required.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back