Best "Cheap" Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Stop posting your antigun drivel. If someone wants to carry a gun it's none of your business. I suspect a lot of your posts are simply jealousy because you aren't able to do these things.

What that I stated in this thread was anti-gun?

YOU are precisely the type of person that anti-gun people thrive upon, and the reason things are how they are. Nobody can possibly be as pro gun as you, and so you’d rather alienate people who share opinions, because of some made-up boogeyman in your mind.

I stated nothing anti-gun, the map made the OPs point.

Only you are fabricating something else in this thread.

Learn to read, comprehend, and listen.

"Is Nashville that unsafe?"

This is an antigun post in a thread where someone is asking about a budget truck gun.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Stop posting your antigun drivel. If someone wants to carry a gun it's none of your business. I suspect a lot of your posts are simply jealousy because you aren't able to do these things.

What that I stated in this thread was anti-gun?

YOU are precisely the type of person that anti-gun people thrive upon, and the reason things are how they are. Nobody can possibly be as pro gun as you, and so you’d rather alienate people who share opinions, because of some made-up boogeyman in your mind.

I stated nothing anti-gun, the map made the OPs point.

Only you are fabricating something else in this thread.

Learn to read, comprehend, and listen.

The crime rate of Nashville or Tennessee as whole never had jack to do with my starting a conversation on good handguns sold at very reasonable prices. On the first page of this topic, you asked, "Is Nashville that unsafe?" Then the thread kinda went off on a tangent. I really didn't mean for that to happen.

I'd be interested in good deals on handguns, and having a dedicated handgun to carry in my vehicles, even if I lived in Mayberry.

You can be accosted in your vehicle and need to be able to defend yourself anywhere in the world.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

The crime rate of Nashville or Tennessee as whole never had jack to do with my starting a conversation on good handguns sold at very reasonable prices. On the first page of this topic, you asked, "Is Nashville that unsafe?" Then the thread kinda went off on a tangent. I really didn't mean for that to happen.

I'd be interested in good deals on handguns, and having a dedicated handgun to carry in my vehicles, even if I lived in Mayberry.

You can be accosted in your vehicle and need to be able to defend yourself anywhere in the world.
I used my truck gun, years ago before I concealed carried, to put down a rabbit that was hit by an earlier vehicle. Carrying a gun with you doesn't indicate you're a scared, irrational, or deranged person that JHZR2 put out there.

I used my truck gun, years ago before I concealed carried, to put down a rabbit that was hit by an earlier vehicle. Carrying a gun with you doesn't indicate you're a scared, irrational, or deranged person that JHZR2 put out there.

Yeah. I can remember reading threads, years ago, where JHZR2 seemed to espouse a "New Jersey" view of guns in general.

Yeah. I can remember reading threads, years ago, where JHZR2 seemed to espouse a "New Jersey" view of guns in general.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you guys about JHZR2.

He's not anti-gun.

Yeah, he's in NJ, but he owns quite a few guns and given the administrative hoops that NJ requires to purchase a handgun, he's put forth considerable effort to own them. That makes him a gun guy.

He may have a slightly different take on some things than both of you and I, but his posts, and his perspective, are thoughtful and well-reasoned.

I would cut him some slack on this one. I think his intent was mis-read.

Thanks,
Astro

Back on topic, I'm still voting for the 3rd generation S&W. Buy a classic. Who needs brand new? The only drawback to a 3rd generation is the weight. Built like a tank.

But it's going to sit in your truck! So, give me sturdy construction, great capacity and excellent reliability and accuracy.

I was honestly considering another 5906 as a truck gun...I've got a dozen spare magazines for one, so I was shopping...

Last edited:
Man can you just imagine if Smith brought the 3rd gen guns back and started making them again??!! They would probably have to be priced over $1000 but they would sell. I'd get a few.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Man can you just imagine if Smith brought the 3rd gen guns back and started making them again??!! They would probably have to be priced over $1000 but they would sell. I'd get a few.

There was NOS at Cabelas nationwide a year or so ago. Some of us took advantage.

Another option to consider are the older Ruger P series. P85 P89.... you could hammer a deck together us in 12P nails with one and it will still drive tacks. They can be had for $300 or so in good condition.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

There was NOS at Cabelas nationwide a year or so ago. Some of us took advantage.

Yep. They are all sold out now.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/handguns/semiautomatic-pistols%7c/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105526980/i/105529680/smith-wesson-model-cf-pistols/2407616.uts

I just bought a 4506 - too nice for a "truck gun" as it comes with the original box and magazines - but I still admire the quality in that generation of pistols from S&W...

What's the latest on your search?

There is a Turkish company who is currently making a Stainless Steel copy of the Browning Hi-Power. Brownell's handles it, as well as several other outfits. It sells for right around $550.00 new in the box. I'm seriously considering one. Especially seeing as Browning has discontinued them. I have 2 of the 75th Anniversary Models. But I would love one in Stainless Steel. It also comes in matte black as well.

Check out the Sig P250. The prices that lightly used and even new models are commanding are attractive. Notionally you can do frame exchange with the P320, and caliber exchange if you can find the kits.

DAO/hammer fired.

I just got back from test firing the Ruger Security-9. It is hands down one of the best, if not the budget gun out right now. It may not have the advanced features of the more expensive competition but the trigger and recoil impulse are as good if not better than my CZ P-10C and far better than the G19, sig p320 and most others. The trigger reset is a little longer than the competition but otherwise, I have zero negative to say about it. My local dealer had about 10 of them on the shelf for $299. I am seriously considering going back tomorrow, buying 2 of them and using them as dedicated glove box guns for our vehicles.

Originally Posted by AMC
I just got back from test firing the Ruger Security-9. It is hands down one of the best, if not the budget gun out right now. It may not have the advanced features of the more expensive competition but the trigger and recoil impulse are as good if not better than my CZ P-10C and far better than the G19, sig p320 and most others. The trigger reset is a little longer than the competition but otherwise, I have zero negative to say about it. My local dealer had about 10 of them on the shelf for $299. I am seriously considering going back tomorrow, buying 2 of them and using them as dedicated glove box guns for our vehicles.

Dumb name for a gun. And that long trigger reset would kill it for me.

When your life can only depend on it why do some people go cheap? The gun and how it fits my needs out weigh a couple hundred dollars when it come to my family's and my life. It isn't like you'll be selling it in a week because you've found a even cheaper gun that really won't meet the need either.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
When your life can only depend on it why do some people go cheap? The gun and how it fits my needs out weigh a couple hundred dollars when it come to my family's and my life. It isn't like you'll be selling it in a week because you've found a even cheaper gun that really won't meet the need either.

A low price doesn't always equal a low build quality. The thread is about good guns that can be had for cheap.

Cheap doesn't have to necessarily have to mean unreliable. The Most reliable hand gun I own is the sucky gun that everybody hates that has ever shot it is my Ruger P95. . The P 95 has gone through 4,000 rounds of my lead bullet reloads without cleaning and still functioned flawlessly. I have ruined T shirts with the spooge spewed from the pistol it was so dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back