Best 0W20 for 3.5 Liter Accord?

Hello all I just got a mildly modified (exhaust, intake, cat deletes, advanced timing with 93 octane tune, ported manifold and intake runners) 2017 Honda Accord with the 3.5 V6 SOHC engine. Any suggestions on a good oil? It calls for 0W20 and I do spirited driving on it. Never used that thin of an oil in any car but if that’s what it calls for that’s what it is.
Thanks all!

Since you are way past any kind of engine warranty, not sure why you are concerned about running a 0W-20.
Run any name brand 5W-30, would be my go to.
Mobil1, PP, PUP, QSUD.

Since you are way past any kind of engine warranty, not sure why you are concerned about running a 0W-20.
Run any name brand 5W-30, would be my go to.
Mobil1, PP, PUP, QSUD.
I always thought 0w20 was way too thin are Honda engines fine with thicker oil and I guess since mileage is bit higher clearances aren’t as tight so 5w30 will be fine? Thanks!

Well seeing how you are spending some decent cash on this vehicle for performance mods. Consider AMSOIL Signature Series or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

Well seeing how you are spending some decent cash on this vehicle for performance mods. Consider AMSOIL Signature Series or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
True I’ll stick to one of those two I noticed royal purple is too thick on startup and caused too much pressure in my Trailblazer SS which blew out my rear engine seal and RP also gets far too thin compared to Mobil 1 on my gauge before I got rid of my truck. Looks like I’ll be sticking to Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra probably Pennzoil due to price. Thanks again.

Redline 5W30 is much thicker than usual M1 5W30 or 0W30. It is in category of Euro 5W30 oils.
How is one brand 5w30 thicker or thinner than another? 5w30 is 5w30 if it were any thicker or thinner than its not 5w30

True I’ll stick to one of those two I noticed royal purple is too thick on startup and caused too much pressure in my Trailblazer SS which blew out my rear engine seal and RP also gets far too thin compared to Mobil 1 on my gauge before I got rid of my truck. Looks like I’ll be sticking to Amsoil or Pennzoil Ultra probably Pennzoil due to price. Thanks again.

Edit RP thins out way too much under heat and when I was drag racing. Using standard 5w30 Mobil 1 maintained its oil pressure at 5w30. That’s probably where all every few ponies in RP comes from is that it thins out so much less friction.

How is one brand 5w30 thicker or thinner than another? 5w30 is 5w30 if it were any thicker or thinner than its not 5w30
Bcs. W30 is range, from 9.2cst to 12.5cst. Most ILSAC GF-5/6 W30 oils are 9.6 to 11cst. Most importantly, their HTHS is around 3.
Euro W30 oils are so called heavy W30 oils where HTHS is minimum 3.5 (some actually have same HTHS as some light W40 oils). Their KV100 is usually minimum 11.6, but most often around 12.
Also, W30 oils with Euro specifications are much more robust than just API, ILSAC oils.
Redline Performance 5W30 is very heavy W30 oil designed for Euro vehicles, with KV100 at 11.9 (that is pretty average for Euro targeted oils) but HTHS is 3.7, which is on par with Castrol 0W40, Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40. It is higher than Mobil1 0W40 FS, which has HTHS at 3.6.

Edit RP thins out way too much under heat and when I was drag racing. Using standard 5w30 Mobil 1 maintained its oil pressure at 5w30. That’s probably where all every few ponies in RP comes from is that it thins out so much less friction.
Are you saying that the RP oil deviates from SAE requirements for grade?

Redline 5W30 is much thicker than usual M1 5W30 or 0W30. It is in category of Euro 5W30 oils.

Hello all I just got a mildly modified (exhaust, intake, cat deletes, advanced timing with 93 octane tune, ported manifold and intake runners) 2017 Honda Accord with the 3.5 V6 SOHC engine. Any suggestions on a good oil? It calls for 0W20 and I do spirited driving on it. Never used that thin of an oil in any car but if that’s what it calls for that’s what it is.
Thanks all!

Red Line 5W-30 is the same thickness as Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. If you can afford Red Line, go with Red Line, it's an awesome oil. If you want to buy oil for cheap at Walmart, then Mobil 1 is your oil. A FRAM Ultra filter is also highly recommended.

Any name brand off the Walmart shelf 0w20 will serve you well. Honda has spec'd 5w20 and 0w20 in most of their vehicles since 2003 I believe. Do you see any widespread failures related to engine oil? No. Having said that many run 5w30 without any issues. I'd say your safe with either.

98% of what is discussed on BITOG purely mental masturbation with no real world importance other than feeding the OCD needs of the group to obsess over things that do not matter.

Words to live by :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

The best 0w20 you can get is a 5w30 or 0w40.
Spirited driving + performance mods = up the oil grade to prevent extra wear caused by those mods and driving style. In a normal daily driven stock accord - any 0w20 is plenty, but obviously yours is not stock anymore.

No worries, because five more pages of discussion later, the conclusion that will be reached is that Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 is the OPs best option because it contains up to 70% PAO 😁

Two years on this forum and 987 messages later you're asking this question? :rolleyes:

Back