benz

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 1982 300td benz, it has a 5cy. diesel eng,what is the best oil??---138k, Thanks, Budweiser
cheers.gif

Mobil Delvac-1 5W40 probably qualifies as 'absolute best' irregardless of cost, although in your Florida climate, a 15W40 would be perfectly appropriate. Exxon XD-3, Chevron Delo, Shell Rotella, or pretty much any 15W40 diesel engine oil should be just fine.

I have had MB diesel in the past as well as present, most lasted over 500,000 miles without any overhaul, I have used Delvac Super/MX as well as Delvac-I and Delo 400 and have been quite happy with all these choices.

The MB OM 616/617 were the best diesel engines ever to be built by this company.

I thank all of you for your input, I have use the shell oil, and i have not had a problem with it, thinking about useing some syn.blend---- Have a good day. Budweiser
patriot.gif
P.S.--- THANKS FOR THE WEBSITE
cheers.gif

In these old Panzerwagons, the oil soots up much more quickly than in the modern day super high pressure Bosch type systems as used in the modern Benz, VW TDI, or GM Duramax.

As you are in a Florida climate, the low temperature benefits of a 5W-40 are largely wasted.

In my 84 300SD, I use Mobil Delvac 1300. Probably any of the CI-4 rated 15-40 oils would do a great job for you. I would change oil at 5000 miles or less to keep soot levels reasonable.

Hello,i am back--my old 300td has 138k on it,a great car I will have it forever, I think.I also have a 1979-450SL Benz,(coolest car I have ever seen).I use syn. in it (amsoil) but any good syn. like gc or m-1 would work, anyway--thanks for all the input Budweiser
patriot.gif

I had the 4-cylinder version and used Shell's Rotella 15W40. To be honest, those cars will last nearly forever with any diesel-oriented 15W40 sold at Wal-Mart.
If I had the money though, Mobil 1 Truck & SUV would probably be my choice. Not that it really matters. Seriously, an engine making less than 120 HP with a 6 or 7 quart sump isn't gonna be hard on oil. Your oil would last forever in those things if it wasn't for soot contamination, which is probably what will wind up being the condemnation factor for 90% of people running long intervals with UOA on that motor.

If your looking for a synthetic blend we have two sponsors that offer a good product. Check out Amsoil and Schaeffer's. Though I have my favorite you can't go wrong with either.

Be wary of the over-the-counter blends. They tend to be all sizzle and no steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back