Beer and Coffee preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hygiene thread sparked my interest:

What coffee and beer do you guys prefer? Depending on how many people prefer what, I might just have to try it.

Heres mine:

Coffee: Folgers Black Silk.. The dark blend. I usually make it with 3 scoops of coffee to 4-5 cups of water. I dont add any sugar cream etc. I like my coffee dark. I never really got into the fancy stuff found at Starbucks. A local coffee shop had a really good coffee shake, but that was about as fancy as I got. I took the GF there last week only to find it was closed and now a law firm. Its sad because that was where I took her on our fist date almost 3 years ago.

Kona coffee is good if you can find some locally with a high "Kona" content.. Some say thats still a joke, but its all we have here sadly. Most grocery stores sell it has a blend that contains at least 50% or whatever. The best coffee I have ever had was in Hawaii and I didn't even consider myself a coffee drinker at the time.

Beer: Let me start by saying I think I have a slightly alcohol allergy. If I have anything over 7%, my face gets flushed. Apparently a study was done and like 1 of 4 people this happened to had heart disease.. and I have it in my family unfortunately. So anything that isn't light I try to limit myself.. I dont get the flushed face with light beers at all.

Like my oil and filter preference, it all depends on my mood. I dont just stick with one beer. Life is too short.

I love IPA's.

Gumballhead.
80 acre
Rail splitter.
Harpoon.

My girlfriend and I love Guiness Drought, but it has to be out of the cans with the nitrogen capsules. (Ive always been told any girl who drinks Guiness is worth holding onto. Lol) Framboise, which is Frensh for raspberry, is a raspberry flavored beer and slightly "feminine" sounding, but is very delicious. It comes in wine bottles too and can be had for roughly $10-$12 a bottle. We aren't too worldly, but the GF and I drink it together after dinner at times. These are the only beer interests we share.

I also like light beers, but I have a hard time stomaching Bud Light for whatever reason. Budweiser is a good beer for outdoor social events IMO. I can have a few with my food and feel fine too regarding my "allergy." I prefer bottles, but I wont think twice about taking a can either.

Corona, Dos Equis and other light Mexican beers are pretty good too.

Free beer is good beer. Take a few (if they have enough.) and be appreciative to the host.

Last edited:
I keep trying new stuff all the time. So many good beer as well as coffee varieties out there. As far as coffee though, I have yet to find anything better than Alessi Espresso.

FYI, we've got a few fairly lengthy beer as well as coffee threads going in the food/beverage subforum already.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
FYI, we've got a few fairly lengthy beer as well as coffee threads going in the food/beverage subforum already.

Well shoot. Lets just say this is a more refined thread.
smile.gif

It would be interesting for you to switch and try a distilled alcohol and see if you still react. Perhaps there is a grain or histamine byproduct in the beer that you don't tolerate. A fully distilled product should leave those things behind.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OK, but is it beef or beer? I'm confused.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Beef and Coffee preferences.

Lol i fixed it literally right before I saw this post.
21.gif

I need a nap.

*Beef is good too though, but I am limiting myself to red meats and prefer chicken at the moment.

Kroger sells a Private Selection flat iron steak. Very lean, juicy and full of flavor. No bone either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
It would be interesting for you to switch and try a distilled alcohol and see if you still react. Perhaps there is a grain or histamine byproduct in the beer that you don't tolerate. A fully distilled product should leave those things behind.

Thanks for the heads up. I have to give this a try next time.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I prefer Iced Coffee. Caramel, usually.

Or a plain "Vanilla" flavor, not French Vanilla.. If they have..

Dude youre back!

I brew a 50/50 mix of Starbucks French Roast & Kirkland Dark Roast - gives a great flavor and is somewhat economical. I watch my carbs so I usually just stick to light beer - Miller Lite is my favorite. A few times a year I might drink a Sam Adams Boston lager or a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. There are so many good craft beers now, it's amazing. I wish I good drink them more but my weight would balloon. I had my time when I was younger and made the most of it.

Favorite coffee is the regular roast at 7-11 stores. For home brewed coffee the Maxwell House in the blue can.

I rarely drink but my favorite use to be Corona for imports. Otherwise Budweiser and Busch were just fine. In my early drinking days it was Strohs only.

For coffee, my favorites are Tim Horton's fine grind, or Eight O'Clock Colombian (used to be the brown bag). I've always got a large can of Hortons at the house. One scoop for two cups.

For beer, I'm not a huge drinker, but there's not many beers I don't like.

Coffee- I read the article in consumer reports about 8'oclock columbian having more mgs of caffeine than folgers/maxwell etc. so i had to try it.. still hooked on it. Very smooth and rich. I have tried seattles best which gives me a headache and coffee gut, also most of the starbucks varieties..but none taste as good as the 8'oclock to me.

Beer- for a one beer setting its hard to beat sam smith oatmeal stout and taddy porter..its like drinking coffee beer..has hints of caramel malts and hints of coffee..delicious. But the best bang for the buck i think is Mickeys Wide Mouth. Good strong malt flavor, no aftertase..smooth and hits u pretty quick.

Coffee -
Java Pura Expresso Blend - roasted weekly in Houston and available in a few DFW grocery stores or on-line. I grind it fresh using a Maestro burr grinder and use a Aeropress coffee maker because I'm too cheap to buy a quality espresso machine.
http://www.amazon.com/Aeropress-Coffee-a...robie+aeropress

Beer -

Sam Adams Light
Shocktop White
Modello Especial
Guinness on tap***

***If you really love Guinness like I do, find a way to have a couple of pints from a fresh barrel on a quiet weekday night in a pub in Edinburgh.

Last edited:
I was a big Diet Pepsi drinker but think its time for that to go. What I now find very refreshing is some kind of fruit juice (black currant & cranberry) cut 50/50 with seltzer.

Never liked coffee.

Gave up beer awhile ago.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
I prefer Iced Coffee. Caramel, usually.

Or a plain "Vanilla" flavor, not French Vanilla.. If they have..

Dude youre back!

thumbsup2.gif

But, of course.

Good to see you!
laugh.gif

Sam Adams Light. Full flavored, very tasty. I like some of the seasonal offerings also, especially Cold Snap. Escape Route is out now as an early spring release, and it is quite good as well. I'm a big coffee drinker. My everyday brew is a new brew called Day to Day. It's got that Mr.Donut / Dunkin flavor. On the weekends, a 50/50 of this and Seattle's Dark is what's in the pot. I still have a bag of real Kona from Hawaii my lovely spouse shipped back when she was there. That's a good coffee all on it's own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back