Henry Weinhard's Root Beer

I usually never go down the water/soda/energy drink aisle. I did a few days ago. Noticed Henry Weinhard's root beer. Haven't had this since the 1970's.

I bought a six pack and stuffed the bottles in the refer. Opened one up yesterday.
  • Twist off cap - it practically fell off with no "ffftt".
  • Poured it into a glass and practically no fizz or head. It was essentially flat.
Poured it out and tried another. Same as above. What a disappointment. I don't recall this root beer ever being like this.

At least it has a minimal carbon footprint. :rolleyes:

The caps on the Weinhard's root beer I buy require an opener and it makes delicious root beer floats.

I usually never go down the water/soda/energy drink aisle. I did a few days ago. Noticed Henry Weinhard's root beer. Haven't had this since the 1970's.

I bought a six pack and stuffed the bottles in the refer. Opened one up yesterday.
  • Twist off cap - it practically fell off with no "ffftt".
  • Poured it into a glass and practically no fizz or head. It was essentially flat.
Poured it out and tried another. Same as above. What a disappointment. I don't recall this root beer ever being like this.

At least it has a minimal carbon footprint. :rolleyes:
Did you check the dating? Also-I have had bad batches of soda from the major soda makers as well.

I've had it before and it's usually really good although I doubt there's been an unbroken line of manufacturers. Not sure who is making it now. I worked in an office where we ordered snacks and beverages and the manager would approve Henry Weinhard's root beer, which would be gone within a day of delivery.

I'm looking at it now. The Henry Weinhard's beer brand has been discontinued, but the sodas are still made under Molson Coors. Not sure who makes it for them.

It was good at least a couple of decades ago, but I haven't tried it recently. But the root beer I really liked was Thomas Kemper, which was made by Pyramid Brewing. I kept a few bottles in the fridge in the office and my manager once looked at me funny because they came in brown beer bottles and he asked if I was drinking beer in the office.

Did you check the dating? Also-I have had bad batches of soda from the major soda makers as well.
April 24, 2024

I think I may take the time to contact them and inquire about it. The lot number appears below the use-by date.

I picked up a 4-pack of Cock & Bull Ginger Beer from the same store, same weak carbonation. Something isn't right.

I'm going to have to run an investigation and pick up the same beverages at BevMo for comparison.

Here we can get Route 66 Beer. Pretty good stuff, locally made.

For an experience, try sarsaparilla. Flavor similar to root beer, but better. However, it is pretty expensive, comparatively.

I really enjoy an ice cold bottled root beer. For years Jones has made my favorite but here lately it’s been Show Me root beer. Made somewhat local to me in Herman, MO. Idk how spread out the availability is but if you see one out there give it a try. If not have a Jones, they’re more available and also REALLY good.

If you're a Root Beef fanatic you should check out a store in mid-Ohio in a town called Kidron. It's called Lehman's Hardware and is located in the middle of Amish country. They carry over 70 differed kinds of root beer in glass bottles. It looks like they don't sell the root beer online or ship it out. The store if you're interested sells root beer making kits to brew your own. BTW Lehman's is built around the Amish lifestyle and their product mix in 99% targeted towards that audience. If you want to check the place out there are a number of YouTube videos of walk Thru's people have done while visiting the store. Here one to get you started. The owner talks about their root beer supply around the 22:00 minute mark.

Does it still contain Sassafras? My favorite from back in the day was Hi-Q root beer in bottle. Had the A&W stand too.

We used to have a local store that specialized in root beer. They advertised over a hundred varieties. I think they finally closed up during COVID.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
April 24, 2024

I think I may take the time to contact them and inquire about it. The lot number appears below the use-by date.

The large brands I've contacted about quality issues have been very receptive. They might ask for some photos to help them out, like when I found a piece of unidentified detritus in a bag of chips.

What they'll usually do is send coupons to use at the store to buy free replacements.

Doesn't hurt to ask.

Back