Bad Experience at Gun Store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some local gun shops are great, some truly awful, and most are in the middle somewhere. We have a local gun shop where the selection of especially vintage guns is amazing. The owner is a long time gunsmith and knows his firearms (his employees not so much), but he has the WORST prices I have seen.He is the Gander Mountain of local gun shops in my area. For instance he was selling a S&W 686 in Very Good condition (late model with the Hillary hole internal lock) for 10 dollars more than the gun shop one town over had it new in the box. He also was selling security guard trade in S&W 64's for 30 dollars more than I can get them new. His ammo is about 10 dollars a box overpriced as well.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wonder how many people walk out on Wal Mart's slow,3 to 4 deep checkouts? I don't see many,amazing how people will endure for some things and not others.

Lol, +1000

Peoples' desire for a deal on the cheapest junk will always win.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
I stumbled across this thread and immediately was intrigued... just because I too had a similar bad experience recently at a local gun shop. This gun shop has been in business in my neck of the woods for quite some time, but every time I've gone in there I always feel like I'm being "mean mugged". The associates give you the stare down as you browse... not engaging you in conversation unless you engage them, and even then it's fairly direct and without much energy. Yes their prices are decent, and their selection OK, but it's never been a welcoming environment at all.

Long story short - I recently purchased a new shotgun from Gallery of Guns, and decided to try a different (newer) local shop that I've heard a good reputation developing for, and wow! Night and day difference. The folks working the counters were kind, engaging, welcoming, etc. Simple phrases like they used such as "make yourself at home, and feel free to browse and ask any questions" can quite literally go a million miles in my book. I never felt out-of-place, awkward, etc. They shot the breeze with me while finalizing my transaction, effectively multitasked with other customers without making me feel de-valued or left behind, and the overall vibe of the store had good energy. I complimented them on the store experience, and let them know that as long as they keep up the good work - I'll be giving them my business going forward. I've even recommended them to a few friends just due to the "wow" experience I had.

Just goes to show how we all become complacent in thinking the "usual mediocre" experience we receive from some businesses is supposed to be normal, when it really shouldn't be. We should reward those that obviously care about providing a tip-top experience to their customers.

Must be common. Same story in my neck of the woods. The old established store is full of surly unfriendly salespeople that won't deal on price. The newer smaller store's staff is friendly, helpful, and prices are very reasonable.

Long story short - I recently purchased a new shotgun from Gallery of Guns, and decided to try a different (newer) local shop that I've heard a good reputation developing for, and wow! Night and day difference.

I'm really surprised more people have not caught on to this. (Davidson's Gallery Of Guns). For several reasons. 1.) Is price. You can simply go to their website, enter your zip code, and all of the local shops in your area, (you select the distance radius... 25 - 50 miles, etc.), will show up, and you can compare prices. They vary greatly, and you can save a bundle without burning a drop of gas, or making a single phone call.

2.) When you find the gun you want at the price you are willing to pay. You simply click on, "Accept Offer". And the gun will ship out and arrive at the dealer you chose within 72 hours or less.

3.) When it does, the dealer will call you. You simply drive over, execute the paperwork, pay the remainder, minus the credit card deposit, and you're done.

4.) And this is the best part. Every gun you purchase from them comes with a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty for as long as you own it. No other firearms distributor or gun shop in the country offers this. If the gun you purchased from them goes down in any way, for any reason, you simply call the dealer, bring it in with all the paperwork, and Davidson's will ship out a new replacement gun immediately. I have used this warranty, and can attest to the fact it is honored as advertised. I had a brand new gun in my hand 24 hours after the original broke. (Ruger Mark II pistol... Trigger wouldn't reset). If I had purchased that gun from anywhere else, all they would have done is sent it back to Ruger. And I would have had to wait weeks, for what would have amounted to a broken and repaired new gun.

Whenever I'm in the market for ANY new firearm, Davidson's is ALWAYS the first place I check. I know I'll wind up with the best price, with the best warranty. And the gun will come packaged in a factory sealed carton, that hasn't been sitting on a rack for weeks, getting pawed, snapped, and cycled by dozens of customers before I came along. Pretty hard to beat.

I remember going in a local store about 3 years ago and getting a "creepy crawly" feeling from the entire place. It wasn't in the best part of town, but I'd heard they sometimes had some nice guns.

I went in and my eyes ventured to a Colt 38 Special Officers Model Match. It wasn't priced, but I asked it I could see it. They handed it to me, and I almost said put it back before it was even in my hands because it was such an obvious and terrible re-blue(the barrel was wavy). I looked it over for a few seconds(btw, when I'm looking at blue revolvers I handle them only by the grips and with a finger stuck in the barrel and generally avoid touching the blueing as much as possible), saw the price tag, handed it back(by the grips) and said "Thanks, but I'd better pass on it." I got an earful for putting fingerprints all over their guns when I wasn't interested. I should have walked out, but the friend I was with wasn't done looking.

In any case, I noticed some decently priced 38 special brass, so decided to buy it. While they were ringing me up, the friend I was with had a text come in on his cell phone, so he stepped away from the counter just to look at it. He got yelled at for looking at his pager in the store(he's a doctor) because "it sets off the burglar alarm." I got distracted by that, and didn't realize that the clerk had copied down my entire drivers' license information(number, DOB, etc) on the sales receipt for the purchase of 150 pieces of brass. I'd initially only pulled it out because I thought they wanted to check my ID against my name on the card.

I called the next day and gave them an earful about that. I'd looked up the Visa cardholder agreement and keeping that information is expressly forbidden(of course it does go on a 4473, but I wasn't buying a gun). I was told it was for my protection and that I was the first to complain about it, but the thing is it's not for my protection as the cardholder agreement protects me and having that information on a sales receipt(not a carefully filed 4473) puts me at risk for identity theft. I ended the conversation by saying that may be store policy, but it wasn't my policy so I would never shop there again. There are too many other gun stores in town to patronize, and especially ones where asking to look at a gun means an automatic assumption that I'm going to buy it.

What's more, while I was there I witnessed what would appear to the ATF or most anyone else to be a straw purchase. When I was in the store, a young guy was there with his girlfriend. He picked out a gun and filled out the 4473. When the store called it in, it came back with a "deny." His girlfriend then filled out a 4473, got a "proceed", and the guy paid for the gun.

I'm not petty
smile.gif
, but I made a call to the BATFE field office the next day about what I'd witnessed on the perceived straw purchase and also filed an online grievance with Visa over the driver's license thing.

Like I said, I have no desire to do business with that store ever again.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Long story short - I recently purchased a new shotgun from Gallery of Guns, and decided to try a different (newer) local shop that I've heard a good reputation developing for, and wow! Night and day difference.

I'm really surprised more people have not caught on to this. (Davidson's Gallery Of Guns). For several reasons. 1.) Is price. You can simply go to their website, enter your zip code, and all of the local shops in your area, (you select the distance radius... 25 - 50 miles, etc.), will show up, and you can compare prices. They vary greatly, and you can save a bundle without burning a drop of gas, or making a single phone call.

Truth! Easy and convenient. Plus - a surprising number of local gun shops purchase their inventory from Davidson's in the first place, then just add their usual markup. Doing it this way cuts out the middle-man markup. In my state (Oregon), the only thing added to the point-of-sale final price (beyond what's listed on the website) is a $10 background check fee. That being said - I'll still shop local first... and if the local shop gives me good service, and their prices aren't completely unreasonable, I'll still give the business to them to reward the good service. But sometimes the "flash deals" gallery-of-guns does is just too good to resist
20.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
4.) And this is the best part. Every gun you purchase from them comes with a Lifetime Free Replacement Warranty for as long as you own it.

Not EVERY gun comes with it... qualified firearms will have a logo shown along with the image of the firearm. Ruger (for example) has quite a few that qualify because Davidson's is their largest sponsor... plus they're in the same town (Prescott, AZ).

Last edited:
Rugers customer service is EXCELLENT! Bought my SR40C from a LGS, and had light strikes about two years later. Called Ruger, received a shipping label via email in about two hours. They had the gun back to me in 10 days (including a week-end), fully repaired and running great three years later.

Trop has been steadily going down hill since they moved to the new location. They seem to cater to the yuppie shooter more than their traditional customer base. Their stock of reloading supplies is a mere shadow of what they stocked at the old place.

I guess I am spoiled by the gun store that I use. I can order anything I want through a text or Facebook message and he lets me know when it shows up. Last year when I bought myself 2 AK47s for my birthday, I texted him pictures of my driver's license and credit card and he texted me to come fill out the paperwork when they showed up.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I'll drop the cart and walk if it's not reasonable. I don't care how much is in there. Another one of mine is "no price, no purchase". If retailers can't either mark the item or put a price on the shelf I can find ... I do look ... I will drop the item right there, leave without buying anything. I'm not going to reward retailers for poor management or service.

The unfortunate part is if they are bad, they don't even notice that they just lost a sale. Part of the disease, I guess.

It's funny, one of the cultural differences I found visiting many areas of the US, I've been to about 30 states, but people in America tolerate lineups at retail way more than folks around here do. Three deep and people start leaving, or if there is any lineup at all ... even one person ... at a sit-down eatery people just turn and out the door.

Just one of those things, not really important but you notice when things are much different than what you're used to. Stuff like that cost Target a few billion dollars when they tried to enter Canada.

My experience with Canada eateries ...... I was out the door when I smelled the food.
What is that smell, baby seals or what?

Not EVERY gun comes with it... qualified firearms will have a logo shown along with the image of the firearm. Ruger (for example) has quite a few that qualify because Davidson's is their largest sponsor... plus they're in the same town (Prescott, AZ).

http://www.galleryofguns.com/about/terms.aspx

"Davidson’s, Inc. (“Davidson’s”) warrants to you that if ANY firearm sold by Davidson’s ever becomes defective, Davidson’s will replace the firearm at no charge, subject to the conditions set forth below. This warranty applies only if Davidson’s sold the firearm to the licensed firearms dealer from which you purchased it and the warranty extends only to the original purchaser from that dealer."

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Wonder how many people walk out on Wal Mart's slow,3 to 4 deep checkouts? I don't see many,amazing how people will endure for some things and not others.

I've done it. I'm tired of spending more time in checkout than I did shopping in the store.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I like mom and pops stores for that very reason, it's about reputation and people skills with them l, not the bottom line. I'm always willing to pay more to people that put in an honest day's work.

Not at our local mom and pop SEARS outlet, went in one saturday to get a new pull cord for a Craftsman mower, the owner was sitting at his desk at the front of the store, made eye contact but not a word or nod, took a few minutes for somebody to help me out, sorry we don't carry the pull cords
mad.gif
, as I was leaving passed the owner again and not a word, stopped and told him your customer service sucks, bought the pull cord at Wally World.

This is an exception to the rule, but the owner of my little gun store and I are on a first name basis. We have known each other for 35 years. His little store is a 20x30 foot cinder block building out in the country, but he can get you anything you want for a reasonable price. It's a neat and friendly little shop. He stopped selling new guns several years ago but still buys and sells used guns, ammo, holsters etc. He said he makes more just being a FLL for locals who buy guns off the WWW. I stopped by today just to chat, didn't buy anything, but when I was leaving, he handed me a bag of squash, cucumbers and tomatoes he had picked from his garden.

I always go in fully informed and aware of exactly what I want and the sale is fast and easy. I don't have to deal with salesman and their "thoughts" on what gun I need or should buy. Same with my wife. She shoots, carrys and collects .45's. She is a Colt and Kimber lover and just prefers .45's and owns several. A few months ago we went to a local gun shop and she already (like I do) knew what exactly she wanted. When she told the salesman she wanted a certain Kimber he proceeded to tell her that no she should be looking at something like a .380 or 9mm. Well - I was so proud of her because she QUICKLY put that fool in his place with words I haven't heard from her mouth in a long time! We both walked out. She ended up buying from Cabella's like she has in the past. Might have paid a little more but they are always helpful and polite and never suggested she couldn't handle a certain gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back