Average new car payment $554

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vicious cycle for sure. The $400 not in hand is crazy. I think that is part of issue with people taking payments to hope for a no issues/maintenance or warranty. However most vehicles warranty except maybe VW cover the vehicle 7 years fully.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Vicious cycle for sure. The $400 not in hand is crazy. I think that is part of issue with people taking payments to hope for a no issues/maintenance or warranty. However most vehicles warranty except maybe VW cover the vehicle 7 years fully.

Which are those? Hyundai?KIA did 100k, but horror stories around honoring that warranty beg question: what is the point?
I think Toyota is 60k only for engine/transmission and 24k bumper to bumper (something like that).

I bought my Kia for the 10yr/100k warranty. I paid it off long ago and when I did pay it off I still had several years left on the warranty. Still driving it today, been a great car.

Fwiw, there's a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership here that offers a lifetime limited powertrain warranty on every CPO. If they're still doing that the next time I'm in the market for a car, I'm gonna check them out.

Last edited:
I'm a millennial, on the older end. I pay cash for our cars and drive a Raptor to get groceries because that's what I wanted. It is not a practical vehicle but I like it and can afford it.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by MCompact
I usually buy a 2-3 year old CPO, take out a 60 month loan, and pay it off in around 2.5 years. For the X1 I only took out a 2 year loan and I hope to pay it off in less than 20 months.
For me cars are an entertaining part of my life- if driving cars I enjoy costs me a bit more, so be it.

Exactly. I drive 100mi a day that I work, and I prefer to do it in a car with air-conditioned seats, heated steering wheel, HUD with NAV, and AWD (for when its icy/snowy/rainy/to navigate my gravel road/drive), and that has decent acceleration. I pay $650/mo, and I have it DD'ed straight to the bank account responsible for maintaining that loan. I don't ever see/miss that money, but it sure is nice to get 27-28mpg and cruise in comfort to work and back, not worrying about if/when anything will break because I have a 150K mile, 10 year bumper-to-bumper 0 deductible warranty, and I enjoy the vehicle. My mortgage on my house and acreage combined is around $1500. No college debt. One small personal loan. Small amount of CC debt that I'm wiping out this year. Life is good, and I have plenty of money left over to go on trips, take my girlfriend nice places, and feed my chickens and dog. As long as you're solvent...you do you...time is the one thing that noone can get back. Enjoy what you've g ot, nothing is promised.

If you total your 2015 vehicle with 109k I presume you are upside down on loan at that payment?

GAP insurance. I was a couple thousand upside down, because I had to "short trade" out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee to get into it. It was a POS and I didn't have an extended warranty on it, and the warranty on the 2015 CX5 was only 100K miles. T he dealership traded me out of it at $500 less than they had offered the week before I took it in for service with a broken high pressure fuel pump, and sold me their car at invoice and gave me my incentives as well, so it was a pretty decent deal. My current CX5, is 150K miles bumper to bumper, which should run nearly the life of the loan (72mo).

Originally Posted by ad244
New title of this thread should be : Live a little.

EXACTLY! I see people die all the time, and you know what NONE of them over the years has lamented? A car payment. Not one.

Originally Posted by Ws6

EXACTLY! I see people die all the time, and you know what NONE of them over the years has lamented? A car payment. Not one.

Is gap insurance reasonable per year? I am not knocking you just trying the numbers of the $650 payment over 72 months.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Is gap insurance reasonable per year? I am not knocking you just trying the numbers of the $650 payment over 72 months.

It adds a few bucks a month. Its far and away well worth it.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by supton
My wife is a stay at home mom but drives 25k/year.

Wow. Do you live hundreds of miles from the nearest grocery store?
smile.gif

I work from home, but I drop my kid off at school every day and pick him up sometimes as well. I don't do more than 5K miles a year, and that's including running some weekend errands.

It's about 9 miles to the store. But she goes that way at least once a day, my kids take dance lessons next to it. Seems like she comes up with a good reason to go out shopping once a week, and Concord or Lebanon are a good 30 miles each way, plus whatever she does while in the city. So 200 miles a week is easy to do, then toss in other trips.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Also, yes, screw that nickel and dime BS. My vehicles need to be 100% functional, as close to 100% of the time as possible. Time is money to me, and I would rather work an extra shift or so to pay for the difference between a fixer-upper and a new car with a solid, long-lasting warranty.

There's a problem with warranty: using it. I usually buy cars from one dealer, and that's on the way to work, so no big going out of my way to get there. But it's still a time-suck to swing in and have them look at something. Then if it is something... I'm not sure what the loaners are like now, I recall getting a free loaner when the car was new (one or two years old), but no idea on the other side of 100k.

You pay a lot for warranty and loaners. I'm trying to get to the point where I can drop off a problem vehicle at a shop and have it down for days while I drive something else. Unfortunately the shop that I had been using retired.
frown.gif
I haven't used anything else yet, and no one seems able to beat my pricing on labor.

My dealer put me in a 2018 CX5 Grand Touring last time my 2015 CX5 Touring with 106K miles was in the shop. I ended up trading for a 2019 CX5 Grand Touring Reserve. They are sneaky like t hat, lol!

Loaners etc. aren't extra. Mazda dealers are solid. At least, mine is.

You pay $650 a month for a CX5?

Originally Posted by Ws6

No one lies on their deathbed wishing that they'd spent more time at the office; in my case I certainly won't be wishing that I'd saved a few dollars by driving anodyne joy-eradicating transport pods.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I bought my Kia for the 10yr/100k warranty. I paid it off long ago and when I did pay it off I still had several years left on the warranty. Still driving it today, been a great car.

Fwiw, there's a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership here that offers a lifetime limited powertrain warranty on every CPO. If they're still doing that the next time I'm in the market for a car, I'm gonna check them out.

If that's the case, trade in your BITOG card too. No more changing the oil yourself. They require you to do ALL service at the dealer, and you'll pay for it 10x over wih their pricing on said services. That's how they get you...

Edit: 9 times out of 10, there's usually some stupid BG program mixed in that you have to pay for (and perform on time) as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tony1679

If that's the case, trade in your BITOG card too. No more changing the oil yourself. They require you to do ALL service at the dealer, and you'll pay for it 10x over wih their pricing on said services. That's how they get you...

Edit: 9 times out of 10, there's usually some stupid BG program mixed in that you have to pay for (and perform on time) as well.

Sounds like something you've come across before, so you might be right because I have no idea of the particulars of a "lifetime limited powertrain warranty" and how that works. I personally have never seen such an offer like that before. Not saying it's something new, I just haven't come across it.

And no, I would not make a purchase if I had to agree to have all the maintenance done by the dealership, that's ridiculous. Fortunately, I'm at least a couple years away from considering another car purchase so it's not exactly something I'm fretting about.

What does "BG program" stand for? I'm not familiar with that...

Last edited:
Yes, but I rolled about $3500 negative equity and a $2400 warranty into the purchase price along with TTL.

Its basically a WRX with a killer interior and a lift kit, lol! Wracked my brain for something better that fit the bill for under $50k and couldn't think of anything, so a turbo cx5 was it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Sounds like something you've come across before, so you might be right because I have no idea of the particulars of a "lifetime limited powertrain warranty" and how that works. I personally have never seen such an offer like that before. Not saying it's something new, I just haven't come across it.

And no, I would not make a purchase if I had to agree to have all the maintenance done by the dealership, that's ridiculous. Fortunately, I'm at least a couple years away from considering another car purchase so it's not exactly something I'm fretting about.

What does "BG program" stand for? I'm not familiar with that...

BG is a company that makes engine flush, transmission flush, etc. machines. Things you don't need if you run decent fuel and change your oil.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
At 29 years old....NO WAY, NO HOW!!

I don't have a Mortgage or a Car Payment. And even if I was single, I couldn't see 200K getting me very far!
Owning a home & land is expensive!

I have two ways to easily do this.
1. I can buy an acre of family land with an existing well and septic for $5k. I can then build a small, simple, extremely energy efficient house for well under $75k, as I've already had multiple estimates based on what I want. Then pay off both cars (rounding way up) for $20k. That's only $100k. I have no debt other than that, so that's $100k I can put in savings, invest, etc. With no real bills, $100k will last a very long time with my lifestyle.

2. I can buy my current house I'm renting for $125k. I'd instantly have $25-50k equity in it (again, family deal). Paying off the two cars would leave me $55-60k, plus $25-50k in equity. My lifestyle consists of surfing BITOG and the everlasting hunt for the motherload of clearance oil. Not to mention the things I could do for income in all that free time that I couldn't do now.

Of course, as ad244 said, assuming I don't rack up millions in medical bills.

You'll find out when you own a home......
Existing Well & Septic?.....Sounds like a expensive disaster waiting to happen. My first home had Well & Septic, I don't wish that on anyone!
75K to build a new home.....I'm building a 30x40 shop right now & have @$26,000 in it. No Windows, HVAC, Insulation, Sheetrock, Plumbing, Interior walls, Carpet/Flooring, or Paint.
I haven't added in the Electrical stuff I've bought....Probably $3,000 so far.
Besides the Concrete.....I've done everything myself.

Equity doesn't mean mean jack unless you sell or borrow against it......Not something I'm interested in.
I've paid over $100,000 in property taxes alone in my lifetime thus far......Of coarse Rural Oklahoma is surely much cheaper.

If you have such accominating arrangements with family members.....Good for you! Most of us are not that fortunate!

At 29 years old....NO WAY, NO HOW!!

I don't have a Mortgage or a Car Payment. And even if I was single, I couldn't see 200K getting me very far!
Owning a home & land is expensive!

I have two ways to easily do this.
1. I can buy an acre of family land with an existing well and septic for $5k. I can then build a small, simple, extremely energy efficient house for well under $75k, as I've already had multiple estimates based on what I want. Then pay off both cars (rounding way up) for $20k. That's only $100k. I have no debt other than that, so that's $100k I can put in savings, invest, etc. With no real bills, $100k will last a very long time with my lifestyle.

2. I can buy my current house I'm renting for $125k. I'd instantly have $25-50k equity in it (again, family deal). Paying off the two cars would leave me $55-60k, plus $25-50k in equity. My lifestyle consists of surfing BITOG and the everlasting hunt for the motherload of clearance oil. Not to mention the things I could do for income in all that free time that I couldn't do now.

Of course, as ad244 said, assuming I don't rack up millions in medical bills.

You'll find out when you own a home......
Existing Well & Septic?.....Sounds like a expensive disaster waiting to happen. My first home had Well & Septic, I don't wish that on anyone!
75K to build a new home.....I'm building a 30x40 shop right now & have @$26,000 in it. No Windows, HVAC, Insulation, Sheetrock, Plumbing, Interior walls, Carpet/Flooring, or Paint.
I haven't added in the Electrical stuff I've bought....Probably $3,000 so far.
Besides the Concrete.....I've done everything myself.

Equity doesn't mean mean jack unless you sell or borrow against it......Not something I'm interested in.
I've paid over $100,000 in property taxes alone in my lifetime thus far......Of coarse Rural Oklahoma is surely much cheaper.

If you have such accominating arrangements with family members.....Good for you! Most of us are not that fortunate!

Whats wrong with well and septic? Mine are fine. The ones I grew up with are still fine. No water or sewer bill is nice.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Whats wrong with well and septic? Mine are fine. The ones I grew up with are still fine. No water or sewer bill is nice.

Had problems out of both systems that costs thousands of dollars & days without water &/or septic.
My Water bill that includes Trash pick-up, Sewer, & Wastewater, And my Natural Gas bill together is far cheaper than Water filters, Propane, Trash disposal & Electricity to run the well pump that was required out in the sticks!!

Originally Posted by Ws6

Had problems out of both systems that costs thousands of dollars & days without water &/or septic.
My Water bill that includes Trash pick-up, Sewer, & Wastewater, And my Natural Gas bill together is far cheaper than Water filters, Propane, Trash disposal & Electricity to run the well pump that was required out in the sticks!!

I dont use filters or propane. All electric. In the dead of winter with temps -10 to 15*f during the day, the highest monthly electric has been $299. 1600sf house.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I don't believe in car payments. Save money till you can afford to pay cash. The only other way is getting a car payment for 1% and your $40K CD is paying 2+%. Ed

That's how I do it. I had two car loans in the past 11 or so years. One was zero %, the other just under 1%, my money stayed put. My motto is if I can't afford to pay cash for something I don't buy it. No if and's or buts.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Eddie
I don't believe in car payments. Save money till you can afford to pay cash. The only other way is getting a car payment for 1% and your $40K CD is paying 2+%. Ed

That's how I do it. I had two car loans in the past 11 or so years. One was zero %, the other just under 1%, my money stayed put. My motto is if I can't afford to pay cash for something I don't buy it. No if and's or buts.

Good for you guys, but I'm not dropping cash on a depreciating asset. I'd rather have my money just sitting losing value to inflation than tied up in something that could be a total loss tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back