Average new car payment $554

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by Ws6
Mazda CX-5, new McLaren F1 of our age and time.

Rofl! More like the Ls1 Fbody of its class. Cheaper, faster, and nicer than all the others under 50k

Agree. I always liked Mazda most of all Japanese manufacturers.
That is different from what you arguing. In the end, Mazda CX5 is FWD platform with transverse engine, and no, materials and interior is not better than GLC.
GLC is playing in different league, as well as BMW X3 etc. My Tiguan has same engine as Audi Q5 but I am not comparing it to it, it is different world.
Did you get a lot of car for the money? Yes. Is it better than GLC? No way!

I agree M-B is in a different league. I think the V-6 Jeep Cherokee gives you at least as much bang for buck as the Mazda considering the actual OTD price once you do the discounts. Cherokee is also the most American made car in existence and uses union labor. Wife hasn't had any issues with hers, but it's only the 4 cyl 2.4 so no way it would run with the Mazda.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Originally Posted by Ws6

Rofl! More like the Ls1 Fbody of its class. Cheaper, faster, and nicer than all the others under 50k

That is different from what you arguing. In the end, Mazda CX5 is FWD platform with transverse engine, and no, materials and interior is not better than GLC.
GLC is playing in different league, as well as BMW X3 etc. My Tiguan has same engine as Audi Q5 but I am not comparing it to it, it is different world.

I agree M-B is in a different league. I think the V-6 Jeep Cherokee gives you at least as much bang for buck as the Mazda considering the actual OTD price once you do the discounts. Cherokee is also the most American made car in existence and uses union labor. Wife hasn't had any issues with hers, but it's only the 4 cyl 2.4 so no way it would run with the Mazda.

The quality/reliability of the Mazda product far exceeds the Cherokee. That said, the Cherokee does better offroad I'd presume, while the Mazda, on road.

The MB may be in a different league, but it's about the same quality/options for the interior, and slower, but does have a pano roof option, I think.

Last edited:

I think the V-6 Jeep Cherokee gives you at least as much bang for buck as the Mazda considering the actual OTD price once you do the discounts. Cherokee is also the most American made car in existence and uses union labor. Wife hasn't had any issues with hers, but it's only the 4 cyl 2.4 so no way it would run with the Mazda.

My wife test drove a V6 Cherokee Trailhawk when we were considering replacing the Wrangler and the Clubman with a single vehicle. She didn't hate it but she wasn't all that excited about it either. She ended up with a CPO X1 that she likes a lot- and I much prefer the X1's default 40/60 front/rear torque split. Best of all, we kept the Wrangler and I use the Clubman as my commuter car. A major win-win, methinks.
I've pretty much decided that the only Jeep I'd seriously consider buying is another Wrangler.

That Mazda 2.5T works great in the CX-9 and CX-5, and both drive like significantly pricier vehicles then they are, I'd also think the reliability will be superior to your avg FCA product, but it's too soon to tell. I was kinda let down with the Mazda 6 turbo though, I thought between the weight ratio and the torque advantage of the 2.5 turbo, it would have made my 12 G37x feel slow, but that was not the case. A 10 year old G37 or GS350 (maintained by a BITOG Member) will just take it apart every time both in a straight line and the turns.

Originally Posted by GZRider
That Mazda 2.5T works great in the CX-9 and CX-5, and both drive like significantly pricier vehicles then they are, I'd also think the reliability will be superior to your avg FCA product, but it's too soon to tell. I was kinda let down with the Mazda 6 turbo though, I thought between the weight ratio and the torque advantage of the 2.5 turbo, it would have made my 12 G37x feel slow, but that was not the case. A 10 year old G37 or GS350 (maintained by a BITOG Member) will just take it apart every time both in a straight line and the turns.

Rwd + another 60hp or so is a significant advantage...

The 2.5T has been on the road for nearly 4 years, now, in the cx9 and no issues have arisen, so Im betting it is pretty solid.

I'm pretty sure the engine will be generally reliable, Mazda makes mistakes on occasion but is generally committed to building quality vehicles. As a smaller maker they cannot afford the cost of mass recalls or internal service campaigns nor a repeat of the Renesis rotary engine debackle, so they do not use their customers as end user testers for their new engines unlike cough BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, FCA, Alpha, Lover ect cough.

The quality/reliability of the Mazda product far exceeds the Cherokee. That said, the Cherokee does better offroad I'd presume, while the Mazda, on road.

The MB may be in a different league, but it's about the same quality/options for the interior, and slower, but does have a pano roof option, I think.

When Mazda offers longitudinal engine, with RWD platform, we can compare it to those cars. Until then: Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, RAV4, CR-V etc. In the end, Mazda as a manufacturer positions its vehicles to compete with those, not GLC (which has far superior assembly, quality etc).
In the end of the day, why does it matter if GLC 300 is bit slower, as it has smaller engine, it is much heavier. It is slower compared to numerous other cars. But why does it matter? What is the point of that? I highly doubt that average owner of GLC would race you on stop light, and I am not sure that that is point of GLC or CX-5.
Sorry, for money you spent you did not get car that is on level of GLC. Is it good bang for a buck? Probably. But that is different from what you implying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Is union labor a factor when buying a new vehicle for most Americans ?

All my current vehicles are made in the USA.
34.gif

Wife hasn't had any issues with hers, but it's only the 4 cyl 2.4 so no way it would run with the Mazda.[/quote]

34.gif

[/quote]
No-not at all. Unions are antiquated organizations that basically steals dues from members for political causes. And the VW workers obviously had these feelings....twice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

34.gif

To some people, it can be a dealbreaker. My in laws, both were/are in unions themselves, refuse to buy a vehicle not made with union labor. I personally don't care either way, but both mine are made in Canada with union labor.

Sorry, for money you spent you did not get car that is on level of GLC. Is it good bang for a buck? Probably. But that is different from what you implying.

It's probably hard to compare them option for option when there's probably some difference in the build quality and the design. For instance MB for years have used liquid filled motor mounts for a smooth ride whereas some other auto makers may use rubber. Plus they seem to do a lot more so that's a smooth quiet ride. Way different than a Ford I used to drive before, I'm always struck by how smooth and quiet the car is. Plus it has a few other intangibles just like the door closing sound, basically it's the solid sounding thunk you would expect of a car like that. No rattles or it feeling loose/cheap. They seem to do more sound insulation and have more gaskets around. Probably trade offs for that might be slightly more weight and slower 0-60, just boils down to what the buyers of those types of car value, speed or quiet and comfort. Plus it's a luxury car, it's not going to beat some other average high volume car in terms of value and price. Oh and also things like fiber optics connecting your stereo speakers aren't exactly cheap.

Silverado12 said:

34.gif

I'd prefer that my cars not be assembled by the UAW, but I liked my Wrangler so much I bought it in spite of that. And I'd gladly buy a car built in Greer SC.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Quality and personal preference are nowhere near related to each other.

Define quality. My wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL is very well put together. It's not a Mercedes-but then you are talking refinement.

My Silverado (2018) LTZ has all the little "issues" that you can find under any "google search". My opinion-my wife's Santa Fe is put together to a higher quality level than my pickup that stickered at $54,000.00

REALLY.........

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

Define quality. My wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL is very well put together. It's not a Mercedes-but then you are talking refinement.

My Silverado (2018) LTZ has all the little "issues" that you can find under any "google search". My opinion-my wife's Santa Fe is put together to a higher quality level than my pickup that stickered at $54,000.00

REALLY.........

My response was targeted at this comment

"When Mazda offers longitudinal engine, with RWD platform, we can compare it to those cars. "

I have no doubt your Hyundai is assembled well.

Originally Posted by CKN

REALLY.........

My response was targeted at this comment

"When Mazda offers longitudinal engine, with RWD platform, we can compare it to those cars. "

I have no doubt your Hyundai is assembled well.

Id rather fwd and transverse. My application is snow and ice, not necessary race track.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

It's probably hard to compare them option for option when there's probably some difference in the build quality and the design. For instance MB for years have used liquid filled motor mounts for a smooth ride whereas some other auto makers may use rubber. Plus they seem to do a lot more so that's a smooth quiet ride. Way different than a Ford I used to drive before, I'm always struck by how smooth and quiet the car is. Plus it has a few other intangibles just like the door closing sound, basically it's the solid sounding thunk you would expect of a car like that. No rattles or it feeling loose/cheap. They seem to do more sound insulation and have more gaskets around. Probably trade offs for that might be slightly more weight and slower 0-60, just boils down to what the buyers of those types of car value, speed or quiet and comfort. Plus it's a luxury car, it's not going to beat some other average high volume car in terms of value and price. Oh and also things like fiber optics connecting your stereo speakers aren't exactly cheap.

Well, yeah...my cx5 has liquid filled drivetrain mounts, and is almost 2dB quieter than the glc300 at 70mph, so I guess however many rubber seals they have, its enough...yes, the door closes "with a solid thunk". It rattles less than my neighbor's AMG43GLC, but its also newer, so theres that.

Oh, and it's faster (than the non AMG ), more reliable, has cooled seats and a HUD, blahblahblah, but no, I doubt it (or the GLC?) Have fiber optic stereo wires.

Last edited:

34.gif

I've owned several Union built American cars. The assemly was hit or miss, and the materials were soso. I prefer 100% Japanese and buy accordingly.

So your fine "german" GLC may have been assembled at any of these fine and less then fine asembly Locations
Germany: Bremen
China: Beijing (Beijing Benz)
Malaysia: Pekan (DRB-HICOM) (since August 2016)
India: Pune
Indonesia: Bogor (since May 2016)
Finland: Uusikaupunki (since February 2017)
Thailand: (TAAP)

Yeah gimme the actually built Japan CX5 or LS430 or rebadged Skyline any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back