Average car age in America at 11.4 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanically newer vehicles are longer lasting. But even with better corrosion protection the biggest killer of long term vehicle ownership is still corrosion. I have a 12 year old F-150 and most of the mechanical problems are related to corrosion. They use LOT'S of salt on the roads here. The body and frame are really starting to rot sad to say. I'm trying to keep on on stalling the rot to get more years out of her. My 18 year old Contour runs great and looks great because I garage her in the winter. Also, I've always tried to buy vehicles with fewer electronic goodies, I like simple. My wife's going on 9 year old loaded EB Explorer with 142,000 miles runs fantastic and has no rust, yet.

Whimsey

I always wonder when I read stats like this. It's sort of misleading really. I have a 40 year old car, a 26 year old car and a 1 year old car. The average age is 22+ years. I have them because I want them, not because I can't afford a newer vehicle and have to keep my old jalopy on the road.

New cars are becoming less and less attractive. There's maybe 1-2 cars in each segment that I actually like.

I would rather spend money used towards a car payment to upgrade parts as they wear out on my current car, which is going on 12 years old soon. And in the South, cars don't die from rust. I plan on keeping mine around until either the engine or transmission dies.

Originally Posted By: The_Jed
Relevant and enjoyable read.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/06...5-chevy-impala-[censored]-project/

Obbop commented on part 9!
laugh.gif

We were thinking about replacing the wife's Cavalier a few months ago. She paid $2,000 for the car (1999 model) in 2006. When I looked on craigslist, you can hardly get a car today that's 5-6 years old for 2-3 times that price. Just had to replace the heater core, but we'll be keeping it until something major breaks. No rust to speak of in southern CA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Quite a few people (at least the smart ones) realized that perpetual vehicle debt was extremely stupid, and more and more people started saving up and paying cash, or simply held on to their 5-6 year old car and kept that monthly payment for themselves.

Yes this info is out there for sure. However......

With prices approaching $30k for "average" new car transaction a new anomoly happens. I noticed this with the finance crowd. People take on 84 month payment plans even sometimes slightly longer. So the average people hang onto cars is much longer. As folks typically have a period from last payment till next major repair before trading and moving on.

My brother finally sold a rotting 2000 Pathfinder with 220k miles for $2000 with CEL and in need of $1000 bodywork and brakes. He took on a 72 month payment for a $32k used 2011 Acura MDX. Interestingly he realized his BIL after fixing up the Pathfinder and detailing it is a really nice vehicle without a $300-$400 payment.

That all being said even though my wife had the $9k in cash sitting in bank. She decided 2yrs ago to take on a 48 month load for our 07 Acura MDX at 1.9%. She likes money sitting in the bank for reasons I cannot understand. To her she does not "notice" the amount in her paycheck.

Your wife is smart. If someone wants to loan you money at 1.9%, take it. The advantages of $9K of liquidity are many. I'm like you. I'm very disinclined to take out a car loan, but that's a psychological problem I have, not rational economic thought. A car is a capital expenditure we make to go to work and earn our living. There's no reason why the it shouldn't be (conservatively) financed.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
New cars are becoming less and less attractive. There's maybe 1-2 cars in each segment that I actually like.

Same here, I don't like to spend over $30k for a non-track toy, and when you narrow the focus to new cars there are very few cars under that price point that I could ever imagine enjoying owning:

Abarth 500
BRZ/FR-S
Fiesta ST
Miata Club Edition

And that's about it...

Ain't that the truth??? Years ago I longed for several different new models, now that I can readily afford something new, they all look like jelly beans...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Years ago I longed for several different new models, now that I can readily afford something new, they all look like jelly beans...

LOL!
It's called aerodynamics.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: TFB1
Years ago I longed for several different new models, now that I can readily afford something new, they all look like jelly beans...

LOL!
It's called aerodynamics.

Yep, and everyone was complaining about that coming out of the 80's and going into the 90's.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Same here, I don't like to spend over $30k for a non-track toy, and when you narrow the focus to new cars there are very few cars under that price point that I could ever imagine enjoying owning:

Abarth 500
BRZ/FR-S
Fiesta ST
Miata Club Edition

And that's about it...

I've always wanted a BMW 3 series, but I think they lost my interest after the E46. I hope that by the time that I can afford another car that I can find a pristine 330ci or E46 M3.

I think the only car company that currently has normal cars that pique my interest is Mazda with the 3, 6, CX-5, and Miata. There are so many cars right now that look too goofy, have a lot of gimmicks, or are overpriced for what they are.

I agree with your list, but I think I would add the GTI to it.

The car manufacturers are basically pushing the technology [censored] right down the customer's throat, whether they care about it or not. The reason being is that it is cheap to add gizmos that are electronic to cars but expensive to incorporate higher quality, durable hard parts and great ride and handling.

I agree with your list, but I think I would add the GTI to it.

Good point- I knew I was forgetting one!

I would rather spend money used towards a car payment to upgrade parts as they wear out on my current car, which is going on 12 years old soon. And in the South, cars don't die from rust. I plan on keeping mine around until either the engine or transmission dies.

Wife and I were in this dilemma earlier this year. Was a debate of buying a new vehicle with payments from $300 too $600 a month or paying straight cash for a beater. We wound up picking up two beaters for under $5000. One a model and year I had years ago that ran too just under 350xxx miles before dying, the other, a spare 4x4. The 4x4 now has a leaky power steering pump, 1st real issue, $60 fix the 1st one i just took too our mechanic too put in new plugs. When we went too pick it up, he offered too buy it from us. Said it was one of the cleanest vehicles he had ever seen engine wise still going (94 Ford Ranger). Im not a fan of payments, when we 1st got married we had one paid for and one with payments. After 5 years of payments, our 5 year old car was worth an eighth of what we paid for it. Im not highly impressed with the styling of vehicles nowadays, and even my 13 year old daughter made the comment all the current cars look identical, theres no originality these days. When you drive it off the lot, you used too lose 2/3 of what you agreed too pay, now you lose 3/4. There is no value in cars these days unless your looking at boutique cars. Just my 2 cents.

They added a pedestrian safety mandate to new cars, so the hoods need to be, well, fatter and more bulbous. This leads to huge fenders which leads to goofy 17-20" wheels to fill them up so they don't look dumb.

And I agree, I don't want most of the junk on new cars. Am tolerating my retro HHR because it's actually pretty spartan underneath and inside.

Buy a used car for around $10K and drive it till the wheels fall off.

No need to buy a new $30,000+ vehicle on payments, just max out your retirement contributions, that's what I do.

10.3 years with mine if you figure the actual build dates. After seeing the price tag for a Ford Fiesta $18k, 4 door GMC Sierra at $45k I'll pass. That's twice what we even paid for our motorhome and we can live in that!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They added a pedestrian safety mandate to new cars, so the hoods need to be, well, fatter and more bulbous. This leads to huge fenders which leads to goofy 17-20" wheels to fill them up so they don't look dumb.

And I agree, I don't want most of the junk on new cars. Am tolerating my retro HHR because it's actually pretty spartan underneath and inside.

It's the Europeans who have enacted pedestrian safety standards; more unwarranted interference with the Law of Natural Selection.
Before long there wont be any chlorine in the human genetic pool...

It's not so much that people are keeping their cars longer.

Not a lot of people are buying new cars. Why not buy a early 2000s car that needs nothing and will give you years of service for 4 grand or less with a lot of amenities.

The dealers around here only have 1 to 5 of any given model on their lot. It's pretty obvious they aren't selling.

Car payments are for suckers and posers.

Quote:
Car payments are for suckers and posers.

I put away $350 per week towards retirement, I can afford something new but my old Hondas / Acuras keep me happy with no car payments .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back