Average car age in America at 11.4 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my 1995 Nissan 4wd 5 speed 4 cylinder XE pickup 18 years ago this month. Financed it for 5 years and paid it off in 4 years. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. After 180,000 miles it still runs like new, and has at least another 180,000 miles left in it. I have no plans of buying another truck when this one has and still does anything asked of it. I do however buy my wife a late model used car about every 8 years or so...LOL.

I'd be very very interested to see wha tthe trend line would be if the "clunkers" programme hadn't been done, probably an uptick

Considering some of the 2014's are out I'm at 15.33 years for my fleet. It might be time for a new vehicle.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I bought my 1995 Nissan 4wd 5 speed 4 cylinder XE pickup 18 years ago this month. Financed it for 5 years and paid it off in 4 years. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. After 180,000 miles it still runs like new, and has at least another 180,000 miles left in it. I have no plans of buying another truck when this one has and still does anything asked of it. I do however buy my wife a late model used car about every 8 years or so...LOL.

Unfortunately, all those Nissan truck in this area basically rotted in half!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: stevejones
I'm at 11.25 for my fleet of four...

14.83 for my fleet of six- 15.14 including the streetfighter...

Yep, up here in the salt belt car lives seem shorter. I wonder how that chart would do if it was done a per state basis. I was glad to get rid of our ten year old Civic because of rust concerns; as it is I will have all sorts of work ahead of me to keep corrosion at bay going forward. Also not convinced my fleet is configured 100% the way we need it, might have to change again in a few, but living in the salt belt means I'm better off new it seems.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I can't speak for anyone else but the unrealistic prices have kept me from shopping for a new car. A recent thread on here where a forum member was looking at trucks was a perfect example. A 2-wheel drive pickup truck that stickered for $38,000 is just ridiculous.

I agree. It seems to me that even the most basic vehicles are headed far north of 17k at this point, and that is simply too much money to ask for when most folks wages are either DECLINING or stagnant.

I would like to buy a new car but I can't
stomach the purchase price , not to mention the far more expensive part which is the full insurance coverage on the new vehicle.

The costs seem UNreasonable.

I am 10.25, the 2013 really drops the average.
The other 3 are 13.3

Always like to keep the wife in something less than 6 years old.
Our new mid level trim Equinox was 23,900 out door and they gave me 10,000 for the paid off one with 80,000 miles on it. So with some down I financed 9,000. I can't complain.

The stuff I drive? I don't care, If I like it, it stays.

Although collectible cars are rare by definition, there are cars that people are always willing to restore. How many muscle cars were built in the 60s and held onto because they were so loved? That seems like it would add a point or two to the average, and as time goes on, it will continue to change the result.

What I find in Florida is that most cars are junked when proper repairs are close to the value of that car when it is actually running. What often happens is that the car will then be sold to a mechanic that swaps out engines and transmissions with functioning junkyard parts, and they make $1000 or so in the process.

Once got a questionaire from Toyota, and one of the questions was "How long do you feel a new vehicle should last and perform dependably" I answered 12 to 15 years. Have not had any other survey requests since then. Hope I did not disappoint them.
smile.gif

Well I guess I scue that some with cars at 48, 47, 46, 46, 40, 22, 15 and 9 years. I expect the Focus to last at least 25 years at 12,000 miles a year. I actually was looking at some low mileage cars from the early 90's as a future car in hold. I am not impressed with all the electronics showing up inside cars and only see it getting worse. I am perfectly happy with key entry, crank windows and am/fm cassette or cd at most. Oh, and stick most important of all and getting harder to find each year.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Quite a few people (at least the smart ones) realized that perpetual vehicle debt was extremely stupid, and more and more people started saving up and paying cash, or simply held on to their 5-6 year old car and kept that monthly payment for themselves.

Yes this info is out there for sure. However......

With prices approaching $30k for "average" new car transaction a new anomoly happens. I noticed this with the finance crowd. People take on 84 month payment plans even sometimes slightly longer. So the average people hang onto cars is much longer. As folks typically have a period from last payment till next major repair before trading and moving on.

My brother finally sold a rotting 2000 Pathfinder with 220k miles for $2000 with CEL and in need of $1000 bodywork and brakes. He took on a 72 month payment for a $32k used 2011 Acura MDX. Interestingly he realized his BIL after fixing up the Pathfinder and detailing it is a really nice vehicle without a $300-$400 payment.

That all being said even though my wife had the $9k in cash sitting in bank. She decided 2yrs ago to take on a 48 month load for our 07 Acura MDX at 1.9%. She likes money sitting in the bank for reasons I cannot understand. To her she does not "notice" the amount in her paycheck.

I've been making payments for twenty years now. Car, apartment, house, school loan, taxes. Don't really notice anymore.

I'm at an average age of 18 and average mileage of 175,666
eek.gif
for my vehicles.

I bought the Subaru around 12 years ago and made payments but saved and payed cash for the other two.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks like people are keeping their cars and trucks on the road longer then ever before.
And it doesn't look like the trend is about to stop any time soon.

Quote:
The age of the American car and light truck fleet is the oldest it’s ever been, according to data firm R.L. Polk. Polk said in 2012 the average age all light vehicles on U.S. roads was 11.4 years, up from 11.2 years in 2011, and 10.9 years in 2010, the eleventh straight annual increase.

It's interesting to compare the numbers to Europe.

Quote:
The average age of passenger cars decreased slightly from 8.8 years in 1995 to 8.2 years in 2009 while that of the two-wheelers decreased from 14.0 to 13.3 over the same period. The average age of light and heavy-duty vehicles has increased from 9.7 and 10.7 respectively to 11.7 and 11.5 over the same period.

The average age of passenger cars in the EEA varies widely between countries. The lowest average age for the year 2009 was observed in Luxembourg (3.8 years), highest in Greece and Cyprus (14.6 years).

http://www.eea.europa.eu/data-and-maps/i...f-the-vehicle-3

I would say US is inching closer to Greece. Not surprising considering the debt levels.

Plus lots of countries in EU, like Germany, UK, France and others have quite strict annual inspection that focus not only on emissions but also on mechanical systems that affect operational safety. Things like brakes, tires, suspension components, rust on structural areas of the body, operation of all other safety system are all inspected.
Many few year old cars in America would not pass these inspections, and I guess that's exactly what keeps the average age of cars lower in EU.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Plus lots of countries in EU, like Germany, UK, France and others have quite strict annual inspection that focus not only on emissions but also on mechanical systems that affect operational safety. Things like brakes, tires, suspension components, rust on structural areas of the body, operation of all other safety system are all inspected.
Many few year old cars in America would not pass these inspections, and I guess that's exactly what keeps the average age of cars lower in EU.

True, but doesn't invalidate my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back