Auto Stop Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure once every new vehicle will require an ULA before buying and operating, there will still be plenty of defenders. After all, why would anyone need to "modify" their vehicle and potentially make it unsafe or pollute more?

Slowly but surely just about anything will no longer be ours, even though we have to spend our hard earned money on the product, all under well intentioned pretexts.

Stop / Start technology has been around for decades in gas powered golf carts. So it only stands to reason that people are going to take a bit before they get used to it in their $75K Ford Raptors.

In my wife's Tiguan I notice that MPG seems to improve by about 1-3MPG when start/stop more active during moderate temps of 30F - 80F. If its really hot (AC required full tilt) or real cold (heat) it tends to cancel itself and MPG drops off.

Originally Posted by madRiver
In my wife's Tiguan I notice that MPG seems to improve by about 1-3MPG when start/stop more active during moderate temps of 30F - 80F. If its really hot (AC required full tilt) or real cold (heat) it tends to cancel itself and MPG drops off.

You bring up a good point. The fact is these systems can only get a very marginal increase in fuel economy under ideal conditions, (3% to 5%). Those benefits are quickly cancelled out under real world driving conditions you just mentioned. So you basically end up with a very complex system that delivers a very minuscule increase in "economy". And can only deliver that if and when all of the planets are in perfect alignment.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Where's the camp that says "I don't need any power windows, power seats, power brakes, power steering, fuel injection, catalytic convertors, air conditioning, carpet, door locks"?

I'm kind of there. I do want power brakes/steering, but I hate carpet in a truck. Just need 4wd,heat, and a/c.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Where's the camp that says "I don't need any power windows, power seats, power brakes, power steering, fuel injection, catalytic convertors, air conditioning, carpet, door locks"?

Actually my 1991 Ford F-150 came with power windows and door locks. (They weren't standard equipment then). Now, none of them work any longer. Either on the driver or passenger side. If they were manual, they still would be. Instead, now I've got something else I have to fix. And I'm sure it won't be cheap when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back