Auto RX test: before pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to run 2 Auto Rx cycles in my 93 Chevy pickup.
It was badly neglected when I got it, sludged pretty bad.
Believe it or not this is actually much cleaner than it was.
I've been running Mobil 1 High mileage, at 3k intervals.
The last oil change I ran MMO for the last 500 miles.
These are pics under the driver side valve cover, I will post "after" pictures after the cycles, to compare the progress.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj83/jcronk69/chevy%20305/IMG_0040.jpg[/IMG]]photo bucket pic 1

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj83/jcronk69/chevy%20305/IMG_0039.jpg[/IMG]]photo bucker pic 2

Last edited:
It looks almost dry. I wonder if the flow to the valvetrain is severely limited. I hope not because that would make it harder for an oil/additive mix to clean it. I also hope the pickup screen doesn't get clogged during cleaning. Low oil pressure would possibly indicate that.

Oil pressure has been good right along.
oil flow to the valve train is good, I had both covers off and ran it for a minute and all the rocker arms had oil flowing from the push rod holes. I was actually thinking the same thing.
If you look in from the filler cap after driving, everything is wet with oil.

500 mile run with MMO is not going to do much. I'd try at least two 3000 mile OCI's and swap the filter at the halfway point, or at the very least check them at the halfway point. If the oil is flowing as you said the MMO should do the trick.

This will be a good test for Auto-RX. For once we do have before and after photographs. All the engine in that truck probably has a lot of cast iron and steel. Auto-RX may work better on cast iron and steel.

This engine would also be a good test for MMO. After all, if the Auto-RX does nothing the owner might be willing to try MMO. If the MMO cleaned things up we would know something about MMO.

I changed it today, Wolfs Head 10w30 from Sams club, and an Ac Delco pf1218 I bought on clearance from Wally world for $1.50.
Auto Rx is in the crank case now.
It will take a while before I get enough miles on it to post back.
Probably later in the summer or early fall.

Did the MMO seem to do any cleaning? You ran it for 500 miles right?

If the Auto-RX does nothing, would you run MMO for a full OCI?

Originally Posted By: cronk
I changed it today, Wolfs Head 10w30 from Sams club, and an Ac Delco pf1218 I bought on clearance from Wally world for $1.50.
Auto Rx is in the crank case now.
It will take a while before I get enough miles on it to post back.
Probably later in the summer or early fall.

It will be interesting to see, too bad you didn't test just one product. 500 miles with MMO is a tease LOL Thanks for posting!

The MMO did some cleaning, I have a post in the oil filter section . There was a lot of crud in the filter, I posted some pics.
The truck has 167,000 miles on the clock.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
This will be a good test for Auto-RX. For once we do have before and after photographs. All the engine in that truck probably has a lot of cast iron and steel. Auto-RX may work better on cast iron and steel.

This engine would also be a good test for MMO. After all, if the Auto-RX does nothing the owner might be willing to try MMO. If the MMO cleaned things up we would know something about MMO.

There is more than enough evidence Auto-RX works, even on this site. I'd rather see this engine use MMO and see if somebody can finally put together some hard evidence in support of MMO.

I would rum MMO for 3K and see what happens. That filter you posted pics of looks like the MMO did a [censored] of a job...

Originally Posted By: cronk
The MMO did some cleaning, I have a post in the oil filter section . There was a lot of crud in the filter, I posted some pics.
The truck has 167,000 miles on the clock.

After having a look at the filter used during the 500 mile MMO run the MMO was doing some cleaning. If you ran the MMO the equivalent distance of a complete clean rinse phase of A-Rx for your engine the MMO would have done a bang up job cleaning. You have 100K + miles so you'd need 2 clean rinse phases. I'm willing to bet after one full OCI with the MMO you would be impressed.

Stick with the A-Rx and see how things go, looks like that junk is pretty soft so it should clean up fairly easy. JMO Good luck with the clean up!

clean out the pcv tube and replace the valve.
if it was blocked replace the fpr spring.it will be rotted from all the blowby coming in through the breather line.
very common and they sludge up just like yours did.

PCV valve and tube were replaced recently when I did a tune up, as were spark plugs and wires, air and fuel filter, egr valve and oxygen sensor.
Some of this crud almost looks like its been cooked onto the motor.
It has never run hot since I have owned it, so I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back