Audi E-Tron Technik

Originally Posted by NothingNew
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by 14Accent
Sweet ride. I see one of those around my work, black on black. It always weirds me out when I'm outside, as it makes some kind of fake engine noise or something? Maybe that was just me... but I swear I heard a sound come from it that sounded like an engine.

Should be dead quiet?

Legally required for pedestrian safety.

Thanks for that. I drove it on the 401, so that's probably why I didn't hear anything, there was no slow driving during my test drive and it sounds like that's where the focus is.

Originally Posted by Trav
Congrats, that is a nice car.

Thank you my friend
smile.gif

The intention will be to use the EV for as much local driving as possible, where the truck, and the Jeep, were the worst on gas. This will dramatically decrease my fuel costs, which were around $800/month.

That seems ideal for the EV, plenty of power, no pollution in the city and I assume night electricity rates. Not seeing any negatives.
thumbsup2.gif

That seems ideal for the EV, plenty of power, no pollution in the city and I assume night electricity rates. Not seeing any negatives.
thumbsup2.gif

Exactly!
cheers3.gif
And yes, off-peak is around $0.10/kWh, EV range is ~3.4Km per kWh, so let's say 1,400km/month in the Jeep (~350km/week), 412kWh, $41.00. Delivery will pad that up a bit, but it's still almost a 10-fold savings. And that's pretty consistent, even with COVID, as I got the Jeep in December; roughly 5 months, and I've put 6,000km on it, so ~1,200km/month even with working more from home.

The truck is even worse, we average almost 2,100km a month, so getting some of that mileage onto the EV will be a big help as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
NICE! Congrats and can't wait for more pics and a detailed review.

Expect one before the end of next week.

The wheels are cool for a unique EV. You traded the 16 GC? Seems dealers in Utah are getting canadian SRT GCs and selling them for a lot.

The car could pay a decent portion of the cost to own in savings alone in your case. When you take all into account (I am sure you did) you cant beat this with a stick.

Congrats! How do you plan to setup your charging "arrangement" at home?

Are you having a 50A outlet installed?

Originally Posted by The Critic

Yep, first of next week.

Yep, first of next week.

Nice. I think for many of us, getting the 50A outlet installed is the biggest roadblock to owning an EV. Most of the houses around here only have a 100A or 125A main panel; installing a 50A outlet will require a service upgrade to 200A, which is thousands of dollars.

The car could pay a decent portion of the cost to own in savings alone in your case. When you take all into account (I am sure you did) you cant beat this with a stick.

I did, the fuel savings right now would be ~5-6,000 a year, more if gas prices go back up beyond what they were before the downturn, which I expect they will as our carbon tax ratchets up. If I can get my wife to drive it more often too, and leave the truck, that'll increase the savings even more. The idea is to encourage all local driving, when possible, to take place with the EV, as that's where the gassers are least efficient. Immediately I'll be saving $400/month, but that could get up to $600 easily if some of the truck mileage is diverted.

Yep, first of next week.

Nice. I think for many of us, getting the 50A outlet installed is the biggest roadblock to owning an EV. Most of the houses around here only have a 100A or 125A main panel; installing a 50A outlet will require a service upgrade to 200A, which is thousands of dollars.

It can be done (discussed with my electrician) through smart management assuming you don't have central A/C, which I don't. My biggest electricity consumers are the dryer and the stove, neither of which will be operational when the EV is scheduled to charge, which I'll be slotting in for 3AM. I have an old 100A service, but it will be bumped up to 125A. Keep in mind, I do not heat with electricity, it is with gas.

Yep, first of next week.

It can be done (discussed with my electrician) through smart management assuming you don't have central A/C, which I don't. My biggest electricity consumers are the dryer and the stove, neither of which will be operational when the EV is scheduled to charge, which I'll be slotting in for 3AM. I have an old 100A service, but it will be bumped up to 125A. Keep in mind, I do not heat with electricity, it is with gas.

I am in a similar situation except I have central a/c.

I am looking at $2500 to upgrade to a 200A service in order to comfortably run a 50A outlet and have the A/C running.

I am looking at $2500 to upgrade to a 200A service in order to comfortably run a 50A outlet and have the A/C running.

Yep, that was in-line with the talk I had with my electrician. My saviour was the lack of central air, which made it doable.

You gotta charge at home...
I had a union electrician (young guy) run 50' of #6 from the service box from the back of the house, under the house, to the corner of the garage and a NEMA 14-50 recepticle.
$600 including tip. The wire alone was $200 I think. It has another box so a wall unit could be easily added if I had an EV that could make use of it.
There was room for the 50A breaker in the 200A service box which I upgraded years ago. My house is old; built in '62 I think.
The single motor Model 3 charger pulls 32A I believe.

Perhaps consider going solar. There was a 30% tax credit for the "Solar Project". The rules allowed for a new roof to be part of the project!
I did not have the Tesla yet or I woulda included the charging in the project.

Finally, if you have an old service box, I would strongly consider upgrading. Do it right the 1st time and be done with it.

I got my PGE bill yesterday. $3.97. And I ain't afraid of running the AC in stinking hot Los Gatos to keep the cats cool.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
You gotta charge at home...
I had a union electrician (young guy) run 50' of #6 from the service box from the back of the house, under the house, to the corner of the garage and a NEMA 14-50 recepticle.
$600 including tip. The wire alone was $200 I think. It has another box so a wall unit could be easily added if I had an EV that could make use of it.
There was room for the 50A breaker in the 200A service box which I upgraded years ago. My house is old; built in '62 I think.
The single motor Model 3 charger pulls 32A I believe.

Perhaps consider going solar. There was a 30% tax credit for the "Solar Project". The rules allowed for a new roof to be part of the project!
I did not have the Tesla yet or I woulda included the charging in the project.

Finally, if you have an old service box, I would strongly consider upgrading. Do it right the 1st time and be done with it.

I got my PGE bill yesterday. $3.97. And I ain't afraid of running the AC in stinking hot Los Gatos to keep the cats cool.

Definitely charging at home, grid rate is $0.10/kWh.

I will be upgrading the service eventually, but after buying the vehicle, it isn't in the budget for the next few months and my electrician said it would be fine as configured (he's installing a pony panel with its own breaker to run the 50A charger) until we do the full panel upgrade. I'm hesitant to invest too much, as we are still house shopping; we are trying to get something more rural with some land.

Solar isn't much of an option here in Ontario, rooftop installs on net metering do not offer great performance, and being the nuclear advocate that I am, I don't mind paying to have Bruce, Darlington and Pickering power my ride at 12gCO2/kWh
grin.gif

Back