2010 Saab 9-5 NG

I always liked the way these looked when they first came out. Of course, with 50k+ MSRP they were never affordable for me. I had been keeping an eye on FB marketplace for a few months and a decently priced seemingly well maintained 9-5 popped up - not too far away from me!

Couldn’t resist purchasing it - it’s got some dents and dings. But overall is a nice cruiser. It’s got all the options the aero trim came with except for the rear entertainment/climate control package. The 2.8V6 turbo is a nice performer except for take off from standstill. I’m afraid of the timing chain replacement when the time comes - my plan is to run it on 2k miles oil changes every other year on M1 5w30 or 0w40.

Next thing I need to do is find a reasonably priced parts car given how few of these are around. It’ll join the W211 and the 940SE in good weather weekend only drive duties.

IMG_6405.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

IMG_6409.jpeg

IMG_6422.jpeg

Had Saabs in the family and loved them.
A wholesaler which dealt with the public had two new 2011 Saabs...right after GM killed the marque.
The dealer said, "I can't get $2,000 for these".

Nice find! Those are really nice and you did well by getting a nice one to start out with vs a fixer upper that you would be trying to get parts for. I have a few customers who have 9-3 and 9-5's and love them - they put money into them and keep enjoying them. If you ever need anything shoot me a message as I have a lot of stuff for these on the parts shelf including a PCM. I also have the GM SAAB Tech 2 software if you ever needed to borrow.

I have an '06 9-3 combi. Except for the paint clear coat being gone the car has been very reliable. Mine has the 2.0 GM eco-tec engine. Keep an eye on your battery strength. If the battery goes dead while the car is sitting you will have a heap of computer problems. Then you will need a Tech2 scanner to get rid of the codes.

As mentioned above GM destroyed this famous marque.

I have an '06 9-3 combi. Except for the paint clear coat being gone the car has been very reliable. Mine has the 2.0 GM eco-tec engine. Keep an eye on your battery strength. If the battery goes dead while the car is sitting you will have a heap of computer problems. Then you will need a Tech2 scanner to get rid of the codes.

As mentioned above GM destroyed this famous marque.
It's pretty telling that GM lost money for years on Opel and within a year or two of selling it (to PSA IIRC) they were making money on it. Poor management.

I always liked the way these looked when they first came out. Of course, with 50k+ MSRP they were never affordable for me. I had been keeping an eye on FB marketplace for a few months and a decently priced seemingly well maintained 9-5 popped up - not too far away from me!

Couldn’t resist purchasing it - it’s got some dents and dings. But overall is a nice cruiser. It’s got all the options the aero trim came with except for the rear entertainment/climate control package. The 2.8V6 turbo is a nice performer except for take off from standstill. I’m afraid of the timing chain replacement when the time comes - my plan is to run it on 2k miles oil changes every other year on M1 5w30 or 0w40.

Next thing I need to do is find a reasonably priced parts car given how few of these are around. It’ll join the W211 and the 940SE in good weather weekend only drive duties.

View attachment 206891

View attachment 206892

View attachment 206893

View attachment 206894
NG? The first thing that popped into my head was Natural Gas?

Great car, congrats. We had several SAAB's over the years and it seemed like GM killed off (neglected?) SAAB right when they were starting to get their uniqueness back. Waste of a storied brand.

Good luck!

Had Saabs in the family and loved them.
A wholesaler which dealt with the public had two new 2011 Saabs...right after GM killed the marque.
The dealer said, "I can't get $2,000 for these".

Ha! I wish I knew of a Saab dealer at the time who would’ve sold those new for $2000. The one in the area had them listed for 50% MSRP and they cleaned out the place one day. Never knew what happened with the vehicles - maybe went to a Saab dealer in a large metro area?

Nice find! Those are really nice and you did well by getting a nice one to start out with vs a fixer upper that you would be trying to get parts for. I have a few customers who have 9-3 and 9-5's and love them - they put money into them and keep enjoying them. If you ever need anything shoot me a message as I have a lot of stuff for these on the parts shelf including a PCM. I also have the GM SAAB Tech 2 software if you ever needed to borrow.

It really is such a nice car! One of the better looking vehicles imo. Although some of the automotive press at the time I remember complaining about the overdone angular front end. Yet no complaints about the goofy noses on the Lexus vehicles.

Thanks for giving me a heads up - I’ll make sure to reach out to you if I need anything!

Great car, congrats. We had several SAAB's over the years and it seemed like GM killed off (neglected?) SAAB right when they were starting to get their uniqueness back. Waste of a storied brand.

Good luck!

Thanks! Parts availability concerns me a bit, but I’m going to keep my eyes out for a parts car if one pops up that’s reasonably priced. I remember sitting in a couple of 900s and a 9000 as a kid - been lusting after Saabs since then!

It’s really a shame that the GM bean counters never saw eye to eye with SAAB engineering.

I’ve wanted a 9-3 Aero wagon for years but for the reasons you expressed, I can’t bring myself to pull the trigger.

I've looked into these in the past & I don't remember if these fall under the takata recall but you should call to find out. They were still offering free airbag replacements for a 2006 9-3 I was looking at. Actually, I forget what year it was but it was an early 2000's 9-3.

Thanks! Parts availability concerns me a bit, but I’m going to keep my eyes out for a parts car if one pops up that’s reasonably priced. I remember sitting in a couple of 900s and a 9000 as a kid - been lusting after Saabs since then!

It’s really a shame that the GM bean counters never saw eye to eye with SAAB engineering.
Yup, agree, although it was probably more the product guys than the accountants.... There is a guy outside of Boston who bought up a bunch of the local dealers stock when SAAB ceased to exist

Ha! I wish I knew of a Saab dealer at the time who would’ve sold those new for $2000. The one in the area had them listed for 50% MSRP and they cleaned out the place one day. Never knew what happened with the vehicles - maybe went to a Saab dealer in a large metro area?
$2k profit not $2k for the car. That post makes it sound like they were selling a new car for $2k.

If you need parts try these guys. They'll have what you need.

Every Saab in the 'family' (included friends) was a 2.3l 4 cyl.
Dear Mom started it all. After taking her around to test drive 2 Accords and 2 Camrys =all private sales- she requested we go up to a Saab dealership.
She said she had heard the door on one close and it sounded like quality to her ear.
She found a dreamy 9-5 SE CPO. People followed her lead.

I agree with the above poster who alluded to their high sticker prices.
I believe the industry was experimenting with selective price gouging.
Remember the Oldsmobile "Bravada"? It was a $45,000 Chevy Blazer.

Every Saab in the 'family' (included friends) was a 2.3l 4 cyl.
Dear Mom started it all. After taking her around to test drive 2 Accords and 2 Camrys =all private sales- she requested we go up to a Saab dealership.
She said she had heard the door on one close and it sounded like quality to her ear.
She found a dreamy 9-5 SE CPO. People followed her lead.

I agree with the above poster who alluded to their high sticker prices.
I believe the industry was experimenting with selective price gouging.
Remember the Oldsmobile "Bravada"? It was a $45,000 Chevy Blazer.
The early days of the SUV craze. Now look at current prices & that's for the base model.

If an automaker doesn't have SUVs it doesn't stand a chance. At least in the US.

BMW X5 came out in 1999. Volvo XC90 in 2002. The writing was on the wall for a long time by the time Saab went bankrupt.

Back