Atv 0w-40 oil for car.

IMG_1224.jpeg

It does have license

It should work fine in a car, the difference is you don't want to use car oil in an ATV since it contains additives that will make a wet clutch system slip.

Mercedes m class
No.

Absolutely do NOT use it in your Mercedes.

There is a lot more to a Mercedes specification than just viscosity.

Figure out what specification your M class needs (e.g. 229.5) then go here and pick an oil you like: https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/229.5

The link I provided is for a 229.5, but that approvals list exists for every single specification.

If you can tell me the year and engine type in your M class thar would help.

What is so particular about a 1999 Mercedes that mere API certified oil won’t be suitable? Do you guys think people with most Mercedes’ of this vintage aren’t just going to the cheapest quick-lube shop in town and getting cheap bulk whatever oil?

What is so particular about a 1999 Mercedes that mere API certified oil won’t be suitable? Do you guys think people with most Mercedes’ of this vintage aren’t just going to the cheapest quick-lube shop in town and getting cheap bulk whatever oil?
good point, perhaps a 1999 would be fine. did not realize age and type

What is to be gained by using quickie lube shop/API/ATV oil in this car?

The maintenance reminder is primitive - and goes off at 10,000 miles or one year. Run the wrong oil, particularly at that interval, and you’re asking for problems.

You can get Mobil 1 0W40 for about $26/jug. Not much more than the cost of any other oil.

So, to save a few dollars, the cost of a Starbucks at most, you think he should run an oil that doesn’t meet Mercedes specifications?

No wonder older Mercedes have such a bad rap, if that’s how people take care of them.

OP - If you’re not already on Benzworld, I recommend that site. Lots of corporate knowledge, particularly when it comes to older Mercedes. They have some funny ideas about oil now and then, but hey, no one is perfect…

Back