Attacked by yellow jackets want revenge.

I was in my backyard and discovered a yellow jacket nest and was swarmed in seconds. I want some advice on getting revenge against these beasts. I have a can of wasp spray ready to go, but was thinking about getting creative with this.

64E41187-24F5-4756-8935-46884AE9047C.jpeg

After dark, a small amount of gasoline, poured into the hole, will take them out , don't light it . The fumes do the work.

Set a flashlight on something ( don't hold it in your hand, or one or two will still find you in the dark) so it lights up the hole, dont step between the light and the hole, pour quick and get away.

An inground nest? Wait until dark, then pour about half to cup of gasoline in the hole and cover with a rock and call it done.

It's on a deck. About the size of a baseball. It's not like the normal wasps around here with the round paper and mud nests. It's open and flat. I was cleaning the deck to use my pool and they swarmed me before I knew what was happening. I sprayed them with spectracide bug spray since I can't use gasoline on the deck. I once killed a nest with carb and choke cleaner.

I was in my backyard and discovered a yellow jacket nest and was swarmed in seconds. I want some advice on getting revenge against these beasts. I have a can of wasp spray ready to go, but was thinking about getting creative with this.

if you are talking about the one pictured … the wasp spray right at sun down always works for me …

54C3A86D-7F94-4CDA-8E22-502D7A30BD6C.jpeg

Yeah I'd be careful about getting too creative. My grandfather got attacked by them while mowing the lawn near his boat dock. They went up his pant leg and stung him multiple times. He got mad and set it on fire. It worked but wasn't the smartest thing to do.

Many many years ago, there was a problem with bees that had an in-ground nest on the land next to the docks at Moraine State Park which is about 60 miles north of Pittsburgh PA. One of the park employees poured gasoline down the hole and lit it. At one time three was a small stream there that had been covered over and the bees had built there nest above that stream. The gasoline went into the stream and the stream emptied into the lake beside one of the slips for one of the string of boats. There was a sail boat docked there. Flames shot out against the side of that sail boat and destroyed the side of the boat from bow to stern. The park ended up buying that boat owner a new boat.

I have waited until about sun rise and sprayed them with cold water , from a water / garden hose . The colder , the better . They are cold blooded and can not do much until they warm up .

Knock the nest down , and either stomp them or spray then with insecticide . Be careful and wear the best protective clothing you own .

When I was little we lived on a farm. My cousin came to stay with us for a couple of weeks and he and my older brother and sister (barely teenagers) decided to burn out a huge wasp nest, one about the size of a milk pail. So they tied some newspaper on the end of a long stick and got some matches, lit the newspaper and tried to light the nest on fire. The wasps swarmed out of course and we all ran. The wasps zoomed over me in pursuit of the bigger kids, stinging them many times.

As the nest didn't catch on fire, they went back to the house and got more matches, and tried again several times, with the same results. We'd all run, the wasps would zoom over me and sting my cousin and my brother and sister. Eventually the adults wondered what was going on with all those matches and put a stop to it. In case you're wondering how they got matches in the first place, this took place more than 60 years ago and kids got to do more on their own in those days.

In the final tally, the nest survived, I wasn't stung even once, and my cousin who was stung numerous times slept for 2 or 3 days. And no-one called the doctor to see him either.

Wasps are dangerous and they don't like people messing with their nests.

Last edited:
When I was little we lived on a farm. My cousin came to stay with us for a couple of weeks and he and my older brother and sister (barely teenagers) decided to burn out a huge wasp nest, one about the size of a milk pail. So they tied some newspaper on the end of a long stick and got some matches, lit the newspaper and tried to light the nest on fire. The wasps swarmed out of course and we all ran. The wasps zoomed over me in pursuit of the bigger kids, stinging them many times.

As the nest didn't catch on fire, they went back to the house and got more matches, and tried again several times, with the same results. We'd all run, the wasps would zoom over me and sting my cousin and my brother and sister. Eventually the adults wondered what was going on with all those matches and put a stop to it. In case you're wondering how they got matches in the first place, this took place more than 60 years ago and kids got to do more on their own in those days.

In the final tally, the nest survived, I wasn't stung even once, and my cousin who was stung numerous times slept for 2 or 3 days. And no-one called the doctor to see him either.

So remember, wasps are dangerous, and they don't like people messing with their nests.

I had a friend growing up who was deathly allergic to bees and so, he hated them. There was a massive hornet's nest just over from his cottage and we WD40 flamethrower'd that puppy and it went up like a bonfire. Note that we saturated it with a fair bit of WD40 before doing the flamethrower thing. I don't recall many, if any, surviving, as it fell off the tree once it was really going and we knocked it into the lake and the fish were eating the ones that managed to make it out of the smouldering paper mess.

We did the same trick on one over at our place and I managed to catch the shingles on the one end of the boathouse on fire, it was a scramble to put that out, but definitely killed the hornets.

In more recent years I've just used the foaming hornet spray, it works great, doesn't involve fire and the foam really seems to keep them in the nest and work its way through it.

Back