At the DC March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
When you disagree with the Constitution, you pack your bags and leave. If you want to exchange safety for liberty, this is not a country for you. Want your rights infringed? GTFO!

Locking is taking a while.

Anyway, I'm not sure any of the proposed laws that didn't pass have anything to do with getting rid of the Constitution so I don't even really knows what this means.

I don't think anyone is actually against the Constitution on either side, like someone else said, they're just practicing free speech.

Right. No one is even talking about doing away with the second amendment, they're asking for a conversation on common sense regulations. Seems fair to me given the gun violence statistics in the US. (Queue deflections to "the inner cities").

I don't understand why the response is screaming and yelling about rights and government, instead of engaging in the debate. I don't want to see legitimate rights to own guns taken away, but its worth a conversation to see how we can prevent them from being used for this purpose over and over again. Common sense government intervention isn't always bad.

I truthfully don't think legitimate/responsible gun owners should have anything to be afraid of.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Sooooo..... why didn't Obama ban bump stocks? I mean the dems care so much right?

Politicians on both sides are just beholden to special interests. We need to stop re-electing congresspeople at a rate >90%. If you like the party platform you're currently represented by, then vote out incumbents in the primaries!

Originally Posted By: smc733
Originally Posted By: 02SE

I'd be curious to see your empirical evidence that ties this to parenting. No anecdotes, please.

I'd be curious to see your empirical evidence that this isn't tied to (poor) parenting. No anecdotes, please.

Nope, that's not how it works. When you make a claim, you supply the evidence. The null hypothesis is true until the person making the claim supplies proof that meets the threshold. (Either preponderance of evidence or beyond reasonable doubt). You can't supply a claim and shout "ITS TRUE, PROVE ME WRONG". Furthermore, studies do not set out to disprove things, they set out to prove things.

So prove that an inanimate object is to blame, and not the deranged kid and by logical extension, his poor upbringing..

I'd be curious to see your empirical evidence that ties this to parenting. No anecdotes, please.

I'd be curious to see your empirical evidence that this isn't tied to (poor) parenting. No anecdotes, please.

Nope, that's not how it works. When you make a claim, you supply the evidence. The null hypothesis is true until the person making the claim supplies proof that meets the threshold. (Either preponderance of evidence or beyond reasonable doubt). You can't supply a claim and shout "ITS TRUE, PROVE ME WRONG". Furthermore, studies do not set out to disprove things, they set out to prove things.

So prove that an inanimate object is to blame, and not the deranged kid and by logical extension, his poor upbringing..

I never said the gun was at fault. Mental illness and easy access to weapons was the problem in FL. Since I believe in the fact that our biochemistry creates our consciousness, not all mental issues are the result of parental faults.

Last edited:
I just want someone to explain how banning AR15s and other "assault weapons" is going to fix the issue. They are functionally the same as a Glock, 1911, or any other semi automatic weapon.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Great day in DC

How's the march for better mental health care and treatment in this country going... since that's the real problem at hand?

Sooooo..... why didn't Obama ban bump stocks? I mean the dems care so much right?

Well the reason was because congress was controlled by the republicans and Obama couldn't get anything passed. Obamacare needed some tweeks but once the democrats lost their majority in congress, nothing was passed.

The ATF originally had the opinion that legally they didn't have the authority by themselves to ban them. Now that they're reversed course, someone will probably sue them based on their original theory that they don't have the authority to ban them.

ITT: People that complain about "these kids today" not caring or standing up for things, then tear them down for trying to organize and speak their mind... because it disagrees with their viewpoint.

Young minds are often subjected to Propaganda from certain quarters and this a typical example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

ITT: People that complain about "these kids today" not caring or standing up for things, then tear them down for trying to organize and speak their mind... because it disagrees with their viewpoint.

Young minds are often subjected to Propaganda from certain quarters and this a typical example.

What propaganda and what quarters? In the case of the FL students, it is disgraceful the level of attacks they've been personally subjected to, after they had to experience hiding in fear of their lives.

Is the opposition from Fox News and "NRA TV" not the equivalent corporate-funded propaganda from the other side? Older Facebook users were shown to be more prone to sharing fake news stories on Facebook when compared to young users, so I don't buy your claim.

Source: http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/02/hard-conservatives-share-the-most-fake-news-stories.html

Last edited:

I never said the gun was at fault. Mental illness and easy access to weapons was the problem in FL. Since I believe in the fact that our biochemistry creates our consciousness, not all mental issues are the result of parental faults.

Of course not. You just infer that repeatedly..

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yeah, why not even try to find a solution? I'm not for banning AR-15s, but every time this happens no one does anything to even try to do anything.

This, right here. I don't understand why the hard-line 2A'ers are so unwilling to even engage in a conversation. When the NRA was founded, it was about gun safety, training and even supported common sense regulations. It's now turned into a hard-line, conspiratorial, radical political organization.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Kids are marching to have their rights taken away. Who is funding all the marches?

After seeing their classmates' lives taken away (and therefore, ALL of their rights), they're marching for a conversation. No one leading this march has said they want to take the 2A away.

Well the reason was because congress was controlled by the republicans and Obama couldn't get anything passed. Obamacare needed some tweeks but once the democrats lost their majority in congress, nothing was passed.

The ATF originally had the opinion that legally they didn't have the authority by themselves to ban them. Now that they're reversed course, someone will probably sue them based on their original theory that they don't have the authority to ban them.
Wrong! Obama and the Dems had majority control of both houses from 2010 through 2012. Why didn’t they ban bump stocks then?

I'm a gun owner.
The changes I see coming are: 10 round magazines, ban the bump stops, must be 21 years old or older to buy rifles, certain guns like the AR15, AK47 will go class 3
and there will be laws regarding confiscation of firearms, gun registration and background checks. Buying a used gun direct from a co-worker... will no longer be allowed as you will need to have a background check and have the firearm registered.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

Wrong! Obama and the Dems had majority control of both houses from 2010 through 2012. Why didn’t they ban bump stocks then?

They didn't become legal til 2010. The answer is that it wasn't a priority. Same as most legislation, reactionary instead of proactively.

Also it's not that easy to get things done in congress. The president and congress are both republican now but couldn't repeal Obamacare.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Kids are marching to have their rights taken away. Who is funding all the marches?

After seeing their classmates' lives taken away (and therefore, ALL of their rights), they're marching for a conversation. No one leading this march has said they want to take the 2A away.

Every brainwashed kid I've seen interviewed on the Network News channels leading up to this, is talking about wanting to ban 'assault weapons', without apparently even knowing what an 'assault weapon' is. No mention of a just wanting a "conversation".

Of course they don't want to take to 2A away, they just want to make it irrelevant.

I'm in Washington State and now if I were to sell a gun to my brother etc it has to go through the local FFL gun store here. I think the fee/paperwork is $50.00 for the transfer. Not sure the amount but this law started here about two yrs ago. Its fairly new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back