Arrested ER nurse gets $500k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
With 500K greenbacks, I would be saying,,so long hospitals and be on a nice beach or something similar and let others kill themselves in the ratrace to the top...of course this is IMHO

I would put the 500k away for retirement, she should continue to work where she is. She would be almost untouchable at her current job. If she leaves, she may not be very marketable, just because of the publicity. Other health systems may not take a chance on hiring her.

Same!

It would be a good boost to retirement!

probably paid by insurance, but in the end the taxpayer is the victim too. his supervisor who ordered him to arrest the nurse wasn't fired, at least the last I read.

Apparently she is using part of the settlement to fund proper justice for others who normally can't afford fairness.

Perhaps a bit more money spent properly training and monitoring the police departments would help avoid such a debacle happening again, a side benefit might be a police force that had more public trust and respect.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
$500,000 of tax payer money is WAY too much IMO. Ed

It is an incentive to have the government do all that it can to prevent such adverse behavior by its officers including training and the threat of immediate dismissal for infractions as heinous as this one was possibly with loss of pension and even criminal charges.

I wouldn't mind getting arrested under those circumstances for a pay day like that. Scam.

Last edited:
Good because if there is no pain they wash it over. Plenty of pain from taxpayers about their ill run police department and its policies and acceptance of bullies. Clean house.

Smartphones video everywhere are what will eventually make corrupt police clean up and will make them shone . Unfortunately as evidenced in the last few years the stupid impulsive ones who should have long been removed don't realize this and give us news.

500K $ is too much money for the injustice committed. A public apology and reprimand or firing of those responsible SHOULD be adequate. I read often about minorities wrongly incarcerated for 20 years finally being exonerated and then get nothing. NADA.

When I think of lawyers I too often think of class action suits that benefit the law firm and not the clients. There are the scum. I did read about some limitation on the lawfirm's "take" in class action. I asuem this is state or county regulated. I have not heard about a federal law regarding limitation.
But I am far outside of my zone here.

And the funny thing is all the nurse and her Attorney asked for was an apology and the rules to be changed so this could not happen again. They never asked for money and only went public after the police ignored them and tried to wait it out.

Another case of the police showing their true colors when it matters.

We pay taxes for cops. Cops are people, not robots. Which, I'm sure everyone would agree, is a very good thing on balance. But the fact that they're people also means our tax money necessarily goes to people who sometimes screw up. Sometimes badly. No way around it.

In turn, that means we're implicated when they screw up. It's not our fault, but we have SOME measure of accountability. Reddy45, Ihatetochangeoil, and SeaJay are right. It's on us to make sure this happens less -- OR to accept it as a side-effect of whatever system our priorities produce.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
500K $ is too much money for the injustice committed. A public apology and reprimand or firing of those responsible SHOULD be adequate. I read often about minorities wrongly incarcerated for 20 years finally being exonerated and then get nothing. NADA.

When I think of lawyers I too often think of class action suits that benefit the law firm and not the clients. There are the scum. I did read about some limitation on the lawfirm's "take" in class action. I asuem this is state or county regulated. I have not heard about a federal law regarding limitation.
But I am far outside of my zone here.

That's usually because of an Alford (sp?) Plea. Basically, when the government's chances start looking bad , and an inmate is looking like he's getting really close to defeating the government and winning freedom (and money), the government cuts an Alford Plea deal which allows inmate to go free without ever getting a penny.

This is very good for the inmate in the sense that he doesn't have to keep taking his chances with a politician (elected judge) at getting freedom. Alfords don't usually take a long time. If a prosecutor offers an Alford, that individual is usually walking out that day.

There have also been cases where the court system was so messed up that a person who went all the way still can't get a judgement or settlement.

$500k is a perfect amount. Why? Because what lawyers say is true. Things don't change because of media embarrassment. They don't change because people are angry. They change because a corporation, organization, or municipality gets hurt in their pocket.

The writing is on the wall. Case law is on the wall. Let one of your dumb donkey officers use arrest as a means of vengeance or other injustice, and you're going to lose a half a million dollars.

Now it won't be a problem they're "working on". They're going to fix it or go broke.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
And the funny thing is all the nurse and her Attorney asked for was an apology and the rules to be changed so this could not happen again. They never asked for money and only went public after the police ignored them and tried to wait it out.

Another case of the police showing their true colors when it matters.

There has been a long history of parties choosing to pay out massive sums of money rather than simply admit they are wrong and apologize. I've seen settlements in the hundreds of millions that included the rider that whomever "admits no wrongdoing".

Also a major history of parties digging themselves into a giant hole rather than just do the smart thing. The infamous McDonald's lawsuit is a classic case of a party choosing to dig their own grave rather than be reasonable.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
We pay taxes for cops. Cops are people, not robots. Which, I'm sure everyone would agree, is a very good thing on balance. But the fact that they're people also means our tax money necessarily goes to people who sometimes screw up. Sometimes badly. No way around it.

In turn, that means we're implicated when they screw up. It's not our fault, but we have SOME measure of accountability. Reddy45, Ihatetochangeoil, and SeaJay are right. It's on us to make sure this happens less -- OR to accept it as a side-effect of whatever system our priorities produce.

And that's it right there. There's a load of people who like abusive cops because they're "being tough on crime" or believe that "you gotta break some eggs". This sends the message that the eggs may break back after being broken themselves and discourages more of this incompetent barbarism.

Being tough on crime is a great idea. But I get the impression that most of the time that phrase is used, it's just to rationalize a righteous vindictive impulse.

What do you expect in America when everything is handled by lawyers and insurance companies?

Most likely it is paid for by the insurance because legal fees can add up to much more than that very quickly. Then slowly it will be paid back by the policy holder which is the government and taxpayers.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Good because if there is no pain they wash it over. Plenty of pain from taxpayers about their ill run police department and its policies and acceptance of bullies. Clean house.

Smartphones video everywhere are what will eventually make corrupt police clean up and will make them shone . Unfortunately as evidenced in the last few years the stupid impulsive ones who should have long been removed don't realize this and give us news.

20 years ago in South Florida cops carried a plastic toy gun they would 'throw down' after shooting an unarmed suspect. It got so bad the FBI had to investigate why so many dead suspects had a toy gun on them.

Today with cellphones they can no longer toss a toy gun next to a dead suspect....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back