Are Suburu s still quirky to work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
10 years or more ago friends said their mechanics told them things like " if you buy another Subaru, dont bring it here" and some articles said some mechanics charged more to work on them.
what was that about, and is it still a problem?

Cars have changed a lot in the last 10 years. Those mechanics likely said that because they didn't understand Subaru's and had little success fixing them.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Trav
Simple to work on, nothing too quirky about them they are similar to any other water boxer. I do wish they would loose the open deck cases however and return to a closed deck and loose the CVT or at least offer a real auto or manual box in the grocery getters like they do in other parts of the world, for me the CVT is a deal breaker.

I have done a couple that with converted closed deck inserts from IAG and that made them bulletproof. Other than that awesome cars.

The CVT is a deal breaker for me too. My father has a Subaru with a CVT which is a complete turn off to me. There is nothing nice about that transmission imo. Nice car otherwise, but no thanks because of the CVT.

Which year and model? I guess if you are used to a car with 250+hp and a regular auto, the CVT with the 4 can feel pretty weak if you're trying to stay near the front of the stop light GP, and the engine doesn't sound great above 4k. But for just going with the flow, the Subaru one works very well IMO, and if you are trying to get good mileage, its very impressive at that. I find it amazing how smoothly it gets to highway speed just sitting at 2k rpm. Compared to my old CRV with a 5 spd auto where it had to noticeably shift every time the grade changes, in and out TC lock, then to 4th, back to 5th, then 4th TC unlocked... I like the CVT more, as the engine just varies between 1500 and 2500 rpm with no real auditory change. I'm not sure which year they started simulating shifts when you use a lot of throttle, but mine will do that, and it has 7 "gears" in manual mode, but running in manual mode is much less efficient as often 7th is a bit too tall and 6th spins the engine faster than it needs to, and shows much higher fuel consumption, than it would be in auto variable mode.

I have driven them and am not impressed with the transmission in any way, for me it has not a single redeemable quality.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Simple to work on, nothing too quirky about them they are similar to any other water boxer. I do wish they would loose the open deck cases however and return to a closed deck and loose the CVT or at least offer a real auto or manual box in the grocery getters like they do in other parts of the world, for me the CVT is a deal breaker.

I have done a couple that with converted closed deck inserts from IAG and that made them bulletproof. Other than that awesome cars.

The CVT is a deal breaker for me too. My father has a Subaru with a CVT which is a complete turn off to me. There is nothing nice about that transmission imo. Nice car otherwise, but no thanks because of the CVT.

Which year and model? I guess if you are used to a car with 250+hp and a regular auto, the CVT with the 4 can feel pretty weak if you're trying to stay near the front of the stop light GP, and the engine doesn't sound great above 4k. But for just going with the flow, the Subaru one works very well IMO, and if you are trying to get good mileage, its very impressive at that. I find it amazing how smoothly it gets to highway speed just sitting at 2k rpm. Compared to my old CRV with a 5 spd auto where it had to noticeably shift every time the grade changes, in and out TC lock, then to 4th, back to 5th, then 4th TC unlocked... I like the CVT more, as the engine just varies between 1500 and 2500 rpm with no real auditory change. I'm not sure which year they started simulating shifts when you use a lot of throttle, but mine will do that, and it has 7 "gears" in manual mode, but running in manual mode is much less efficient as often 7th is a bit too tall and 6th spins the engine faster than it needs to, and shows much higher fuel consumption, than it would be in auto variable mode.

You're correct I'm used to more HP and regular AT. My father has a 2013 Impreza sedan. Around town of in traffic the transmission is very annoying, highway not bad. A real deal breaker for me. I've driven a neighbors 2016 and wasn't impressed with that either, the newer models could be better. The good news for me is the size vehicles and SUV's that I like aren't made with a CVT, yet.

Now that I have purchased a 2018 Subaru Outback limited 3.6 for my wife, I really like them. Lol. Very quiet, smooth and handles great for a all wheel drive wagon. Very impressed. Before I purchased, I researched the 2018 model and Subaru made numerous improvements including to the HD CVT... Actually pretty surprised and I usually drive my Lexus.

First time Subaru owner - my only regret is not getting the CVT.

With that said, coming from a transverse engined FWD car, this thing looks super easy to work on. Unit wheel bearings that I can change myself. Everything in the engine bay is accessible ... I can change the belt easily without having to contort myself between the fender and alternator to operate a belt tensioner I can't see.

I always heard about engines having to come out of Subarus. I always thought it was an awful thing that the engines had to come out. Then I looked under the hood ... I can pull everything needed to remove the engine topside! I think even a novice like myself could have the engine out in an hour.

So, when it needs a clutch, I can do it myself instead of disassemble the entire front suspension from underneath the car and pull the trans out.

They are definitely quirky. I have 2 mechanic friends who have shops. Both are extremely competent mechanics - one loves working on Subarus and one hates them. It's just a matter of preference.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

I always heard about engines having to come out of Subarus. I always thought it was an awful thing that the engines had to come out. Then I looked under the hood ... I can pull everything needed to remove the engine topside! I think even a novice like myself could have the engine out in an hour.

So, when it needs a clutch, I can do it myself instead of disassemble the entire front suspension from underneath the car and pull the trans out.

Subaru engines don't look terribly hard to pull out, and I think they can be done from the top instead of dropping the engine/tranny/subframe as one. Yes, the engine needs to come out if the heads need to be pulled, but a newer EJ or one with updated gaskets(I'd use Fel-Pro if it was me) or the newest FA/FB engines shouldn't have head gasket drama.

I'm not sure if Subaru still uses a oil/air separator in the back of the engine behind the flywheel as part of the PCV system, but on older Subies it was a common oil leak point. The OEM part was plastic but revised to steel.

What's quirky on them?

I get it that it's odd to see a north/south, rear-wheel drive style drivetrain in a vehicle this size these days, but in terms of working on them? I don't see how they're any different than a typical inline 4 or V6 powered smaller car. Like said, I've helped a family member (well.. more liked watched) him pull mid 2000 model year Subaru engines and have them on a bench in 45min. This was for head gasket R/R.

In regards to the CVT bashing. I get it. Some folks don't like the feel/drive/sound of CVTs, but have you driven a later model 4EAT, or 5/6 speed manual equipped Subaru? You really think those feel or perform better? I guess your ideal of better is different from mine.

In terms of CVT reliability, Subaru has been pumping them out since 2010-11. I've read of or seen little/no mechanical issues with them over any other step AT.

Driven a BRZ and would take the stick of a slide and drive any day.

LOL! I would imagine that would be the case with the BRZ. I never drove or even sat in one.

OTOH, a family member had a 1989 Justy 4x4 and then a 1993 Impreza hatchback, both bought new, both with 5spds. Those weren't bad to drive at all in that timeframe.

Ah the Justy, Subaru's first attempt at a CVT. The CVT transmission was a total and complete failure.

Several CVT’s have been, well, you know …

Gives rise to the question … does any company need to get good at at CVT - or just better 6 speed to 9 speed auto transmissions?

Subaru's current CVT is very reliable.

Nissan is trying to figure it out. Sounds like kia is coming out with a puller chain CVT instead of the pusher belt like Nissan uses.

I have driven them and am not impressed with the transmission in any way, for me it has not a single redeemable quality.

This.

Funny all this talk of the CVT. Subaru has one of the best CVT's on the market these days, very reliable!

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Gives rise to the question … does any company need to get good at at CVT - or just better 6 speed to 9 speed auto transmissions?

I think for high-output, a CVT does offer better theoretical durability although Subaru is offering a CVT in the WRX non-STI version. Subaru does have access to Toyota's war chest and the Lexus AA80E is certainly available to them. Nissan was offering a toroidal CVT in the Infiniti G35/Q50 I think, but they've switched back to the 7-speed Jatco automatic.

But CVTs have been improving, although I think Toyota and Honda has made the most progress.

I think a CVT will have proved its mettle if Ford or GM offers one in a F-150 or a Silverado/Sierra 1500, and preferably in a work truck spec(XL/WT) version first as mules before releasing it to the general public.

Last edited:
IME subarus are no more or less quirky than any other brand. Volvo has their quirks, BMW, and the domestics can be all over the place. Some Nissans are great under the hood and others look like the designers barfed spaghetti over paper for cable and harness layout. You just have to take time to know the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ah the Justy, Subaru's first attempt at a CVT. The CVT transmission was a total and complete failure.

Several CVT’s have been, well, you know …

I've played around in 7 speed manual mode with the Outback and the distinct gear ratios do hurt mileage quite a bit if the motor can't hold 7th. I have to admit I didn't even try something like a Cherokee with 9 spds, but even the 5 spd auto in my old CRV shifted quite a bit and any time it wasn't holding 5th with the TC locked the instantaneous mileage was under 20mpg...
To get close to the CVT's always optimal gearing, a conventional trans has to shift alot. But I don't know if a CVT experiences more or less wear when changing ratios than a regular auto shifting all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back