appointment only repair shop? What's the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shops schedule appointments so that they(the shop) can schedule their day/week as to not over book/under book appointments and to have proper staffing for that particular workload.

Last edited:
Basically so the shade of the tree is at the optimum angle when you arrive.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Why would a repair shop make you setup an appointment to come in?

Why would a doctor make you set up an appointment?

Why would a financial advisor make you set up an appointment?

Why would a lawyer make you set up an appointment?

Would the emergency room or 911 make you set up an appointment?

I always prefer an appointment, ensures that if I drop something off something should actually happen. Planning is a great thing.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Nope...but the Emergency room/911 costs a heck of a lot more than a scheduled appointment. Having open bays and tech's just standing around for drop ins results in higher door rates. Pulling techs off other work that was scheduled is not fair to those customers (sorry..we didn't finish the brake job today that you set up 2 weeks ago because we had to look after drop ins).

Car is only a car, make arrangements. "Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part" An ailing car is lack of planning on the owner's part. Lack of planning ==> costs money. DIYing is my solution. It is easier to adjust my schedule myself, rather than have to conform to a shop's schedule.

The indy shop I go to consists of the owner and 3 other mechanics. Whenever people drop by, the owner personally comes out and takes a look at what's going on and talks with the customers. There isn't some front desk "advisor" or gatekeeper to go through like in many shops. He's pretty busy but he doesn't have an appt system. This means the wait times can vary, especially on Saturdays. I always call ahead to make sure he can fit me in (which he does).

Last edited:

What are you accustomed to? There's only two type as far as I know. Make an appointment or first come, first served. Both equally busy, if they're good shops.

On the other hand, I've dropped vehicles off at appointment only shops and they squeezed me in, typically the same day due to down time.

Last edited:

Shops triage cars, just like hospitals. If you go to the ER with a headache you will be sent home with Tylenol after a looooooong wait. If you show up at a busy shop with an interior trim issue, you will be sent home with an appointment. Thanks for 100% confirming what I was saying
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I want to be able to walk into a shop and have someone to talk to, i personally would not go anywhere where i needed an appointment just to talk...
Now after having talked with a mechanic i am fine with the mechanic saying, bring me your car x day at x hour.

That perfectly reasonable and correct with any business. A garage cant stage jobs properly without at least having some idea about what the job is going to entail.
Bring your truck and some helpers to this address and fix my plumbing, isn't cutting it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Aren't most shops by appointment only?

+1

I didn't know shops where you could just drive up and expect your vehicle to get fixed existed. Must be a real interesting experience if they have to order parts.

Many auto parts stores deliver. WorldPac delivers 5 times a day here.

With that said, it is very difficult to control flow without appointments.

Everything is by appointment only for me. Private 1 horse operation, semi-retired, and work when I want to work. Most of the time anyway.

Must be a pretty low volume shop if you can just get your car fixed without an appointment. Would go out of business pretty quick that way. We are currently booking 3 weeks away. Every minute of the day for 12 techs is accounted for.

As was said appointments can help the flow of work. Especially if there are parts that the shop knows are needed they can order them ahead of time so that they are already there to cut down on vehicle down time. It is especially helpful when someone brings in a vehicle that isn't a Ford/Lincoln/Mazda so we can order parts.

With us there are a lot of recalls where parts are restricted and we are not allowed to stock them. You have to order with a VIN and a repair order number. In those cases appointments are needed so parts can be here. The parts show up from Ford or Mazda with the VIN and RO number on the label.

FWIW our labor rate is $140/hr and we are currently booking 2-3 weeks out. We do factor time in the schedule to allow for drop-ins.

I deal with a really good independent shop for my state inspections and stuff I can't do myself. They will take someone broken down or limping in off I-95 right away if at all possible. Most shops are decent people and will help someone who needs help right away if the situation demands it.

For $140 /hr are you a specialized shop or is that just the regional going rate

Regional rate. And he is on the lower side for a dealership.
We are starting to see dealers pass the $200/hr mark up here. And some are using this labor rate for maintenance work as well.

For $140 /hr are you a specialized shop or is that just the regional going rate

Ford/Mazda dealer. We are actually fairly cheap compared to other dealers and independent shops in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back