Apple workers at Maryland store vote to unionize

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, pretty much a group of adult crybabies who like to fight over "seniority." Basically, legalized motorcycle gangs. Not to even mention their mascot when a business decides to not use union labor; because nothing says childish quite like a big inflatable rat and holding a sign that says "I wasn't chosen."

Our local UPS hub has a guy that's been caught drinking on the job (package driver so literally drinking while driving) three times. He gets fired and then rehired. Just waiting for the day he causes a fatal accident. No lessons will be taught though, cause union.

Another one caught smoking pot while on the job, delivering packages. All he had to say was "I need help," goes to 30-day paid rehab, then rinse,wash, and repeat.

I once worked part-time for a package delivery company 30+ years ago. I lamented the fact that l was forced to pay union dues as l viewed the job as transient.

I'd be rich if l had a dollar for everytime l heard the term "l have seniority".

I started sorting packages and after a few months they let me do a bit of loading delivery trucks.

I came into work one morning at 4 AM to start loading the trucks. The supervisor came up to me and said "Joe, you're going back to sorting. Xyz will be loading the trucks from now on." xyz was a driver and l thought it was odd that he would want to load trucks instead of driving. Being a driver was by far and away the most coveted job that was only given to those who paid their dues.
It was explained to me that xyz got a DUI and could not drive a delivery truck for a while. He couldn't be fired and his seniority allowed him to bump me off the truck loading gig. That was the last day l ever worked for a Union.

Just 1 store.

What if they decided to strike and close out that only store and customers just go to another one in another town? Will Apple give in and pay what they want or let them all ended up quitting and working for another company?

To be honest these days even if they close all the Apple stores, people can buy their phones and laptops online, and everywhere. There is nothing a union can do for retail workers, there's no money in there and there is no reason they won't go away if consumers can save 3% buying online and cut out the middle man (the retail employees and landlord) for electronics.

Grocery and auto-repair is probably the only thing that must have a local retail presence, and therefore a leverage for union.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back