Macy's closing about 150 stores

I guess it might have a lot to do with the decline of retail. But they're still big into Bloomingdale's, where I suppose they have a different customer base.

But for me, the location that's been reported closing is the Union Square location in San Francisco. That was always a massive location taking up 3/4 of a city block, then taking over a former department store across the street. I actually got my first computer there since they sold computers at some of their bigger stores. It was Macy's first location on the west coast. They've certainly closed several stores previously, but I remember when they still had downtown locations in smaller cities.

I'm not surprised. Macys closed their flagship store here on the Magnificient Mile a couple years back and all Carsons has completely disappeared. It's previous parent company of Bon-Ton went BK and got sold off.

I'm shocked they're even still around, the department store model is outdated, to say the least.
I think the only successful ones are in the high end malls like the San Jose Valley Fair. Macy is sinking with the malls these days.

Their online business is still doing ok, but I don't know if they have the logistics to compete with others like Amazon, Target, Walmart, etc. All of them are successful with online sales and customers these days only care about prices. It is not easy to make a profit with physical stores.

I'm not surprised. Macys closed their flagship store here on the Magnificient Mile a couple years back and all Carsons has completely disappeared. It's previous parent company of Bon-Ton went BK and got sold off.

I thought the former Marshall Field's flagship is still operating as a Macy's. I went there once in the late 90s. Ironically, I saw a representation of the Chicago skyline made in chocolate, but it was from a chocolatier based in San Francisco. I think at the time, they stopped making Frango there.

I thought the former Marshall Field's flagship is still operating as a Macy's. I went there once in the late 90s. Ironically, I saw a representation of the Chicago skyline made in chocolate, but it was from a chocolatier based in San Francisco. I think at the time, they stopped making Frango there.

Negative, the Watertower Place location closed down in 2021. There's still a Macy's at a mall two streets away parallel to the MagMile though.

I think you're thinking of the one on State Street, between Washington & Randolph. That's still there, but as Pew said, the Water Tower Place location is closed.

It'll be sad to see Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade terminate in front of an Amazon fulfillment warehouse.

*Select products with the "little sleigh" icon to save on shipping (ha-ha)

Last edited:
I'm proud to say I have never set foot in a Macy's. Isn't Macy's famous for violent runaway floats? Have I been missing out? I have smelled awful perfumes or rather fumes wafting from the Macy's entry into the shopping center,m though. Top-tier vavaroom repellent!

I'm shocked they're even still around, the department store model is outdated, to say the least.

Only the strongest of malls and department stores will survive and a lot of that will have to do with location and the people that shop there.

The saddest part about anchor stores like Macy's going out of business is that it usually takes out the entire mall which will then close in a few years. The mall will be torn down and condos put up in it's place. Now you have 3000 new residents overcrowding schools and clogging the streets. The city needs to grow the tax base eh?

The Macy's I go to is pretty nice, recently remodeled, and 99% of the stores in the mall are open. I find Macy's clothes to be well priced and the sales are amazing especially with a Macy's card. I can afford the nice stuff but unless you are buying jeans, I don't see a need to go to Nordstrom's or higher end stores, you're just paying for the label at that point in many cases.

Only the strongest of malls and department stores will survive and a lot of that will have to do with location and the people that shop there.

The saddest part about anchor stores like Macy's going out of business is that it usually takes out the entire mall which will then close in a few years. The mall will be torn down and condos put up in it's place. Now you have 3000 new residents overcrowding schools and clogging the streets. The city needs to grow the tax base eh?

The Macy's I go to is pretty nice, recently remodeled, and 99% of the stores in the mall are open. I find Macy's clothes to be well priced and the sales are amazing especially with a Macy's card. I can afford the nice stuff but unless you are buying jeans, I don't see a need to go to Nordstrom's or higher end stores, you're just paying for the label at that point in many cases.
I think you are right but honestly we need the housing and nobody goes to malls anyway anymore.

Back