Anyone try 10w-30 HDEO? 11.9 cSt for Rotella sounds perfect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a case, but cannot use any for another 1000 miles as my ARX is in cleaning phase. Just wondering what vehicle spec 10w-30 weight and if anyone used it yet. I am using it in an Audi gasser that comes with GC as Factory-Fill...exactly 11.9 cSt! Is my excitment justified? I'm trying to keep off the ester-syns for a while for my seals to reset.

I would say that your excitement is more than justified. Having been associated with diesels for to many years to remember, I haven't seen any 10W30 HDD oil CI/CH/CG. So your find alone is super.
Using this for the rinse phase after Auto-Rx is a good choice. Some vehicles just don't like 15W40, and I always seem to own them. I had 2 GM 350's that I used 10W40 in once, and they clattered and rattled on start up. So in any gas engine my heaviest oil has been 10W30. Now I am using 5W30 in a Mazda and 10W30 in a Caddy.

fruit.gif

59Vetteman, your experience with GM engines caught my eye. Would you advise against me running Delo 15w40 in my 1999 5.7L Suburban? 92,000 miles on the unit.

I am halfway through a case of Delo 10w30 that I ordered through my local jobber...but I like the convenience of the OTC 15w40.

Some people on this board have said I'd be OK with the 15w40 but you've probably forgotten more knowledge about lube oils than they'll ever learn...and I know less than them.

[ May 30, 2004, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: cheeks ]

You might give the Rotella T-5/40 a try. Walmart has it 12-13 a gallon. I tried this in a family members well used appilication the lifters used to do the shuffle on start up. And they are quiet now. Also the OCI has been bumped up which means I do net have to slide under it as often.

quote:

Rotella T-5/40

...it also looks a lil thinner than the other 5w-40 HDEO synths. <14cSt, iirc , I really need to start a post on seal compatibity with ester syns. I am pretty confused, I though G-V componets were good for seals, now I hear otherwise. I may re-audition Rotella T 5w-40 for winter. With it, I did not have the engine drag that the dino 15w-40s have. Delvac 1300 did not seem bad, PZL LL 15w-40 really bogs things down for me.

Funny thing about the Group 4 PAO basestocks. I have customers that get really upset about leaks.
And most of the oil companies that run PAO basestocks add Group 5 or something for seal swell. A certain oil company that is coined for pioneering synthetic oils made a big discovery about seals shrinking. Also I have done some shadetree testing with the group 4 & 5 oils. With the G4 oil in run it until a leak exists then switch just the oil and with G5 oil it stops seeping. Funny how it seems to work. I have never heard any complaints about a group 5 seeping or caused leaking from any customers.

quote:

Originally posted by cheeks:
59Vetteman, your experience with GM engines caught my eye. Would you advise against me running Delo 15w40 in my 1999 5.7L Suburban? 92,000 miles on the unit.

I am halfway through a case of Delo 10w30 that I ordered through my local jobber...but I like the convenience of the OTC 15w40.

Some people on this board have said I'd be OK with the 15w40 but you've probably forgotten more knowledge about lube oils than they'll ever learn...and I know less than them.

Cheeks,
Thanks for the compliment, but honestly you will find a wealth of knowledge from the posters on the board.
I would stick with the 10W30 Delo. It is a super oil. My experience with the 350's was in an 88 and an 89 GM and neither of them liked the heavy oil. I think you have the newer Vortec version of this engine and it may act different. I just don't like 15W40 in an engine unless you need it for other reasons. I would rather use a 5W40 instead of a 15W40. But these are only my opinions on this.

smile.gif

[ May 31, 2004, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Vetteman,

What oil did you use in those GM's?

Recently or years ago?

I ask this simply because I've had absolutely no problems using 15w-40's in higher-mileage GM engines.

I used Delo 400 because that is what I used in my diesels. So I just went back to 10W30 and no more problems.

dunno.gif

I agree with you, it was puzzling. But let me give you an example, my 95 PSD in the winter just hates to run the first 5 minutes without synthetic.(Plugging it in, I can run any oil though, but not always available). And it is not that cold here, in the teens once in a while. I have found Amsoil 15W40 and now Royal Purple 15W40 work sweet in it. In my 01 PSD I think I could run molasses in the winter and it would run good.

I have an 82 Caddy with 7,200 miles on it. I tried 10W40 HM Valvoline and it ran weird at start up for about 3 minutes. (Got it free with the rebate back in Nov/Dec) I went to 10W30 and it is like butter now.

People think it is weird, but look at the posts on here about different oils in various autos. I have seen where 0W30 GC made a newer GM act funny with a Vortec 350. And the same oil in a Honda/Mazda made it like a new car. So individual engines have different personalities. And I seem to get the ones that are the anomaly.

Sorry that I got so far off topic.

I am bumping this to the top because I saw this stuff at Wal-Mart last night. I was looking at the Data sheet, and the Viscosity Index caught my eye... 155... is it just me, or is this fantastic for a dino 10W-30? Seems like this could be a very good 10W-30 oil choice.

Let me get this right. You saw Delo 400 in 10W-30 at Wal Mart??

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
I am bumping this to the top because I saw this stuff at Wal-Mart last night. I was looking at the Data sheet, and the Viscosity Index caught my eye... 155... is it just me, or is this fantastic for a dino 10W-30? Seems like this could be a very good 10W-30 oil choice.

quote:

You saw Delo 10-30 in a PA Walmart?

Yeah ...how come every other WallMart BITOG member has all the good stuff. Others report HDEO MC and Delo in the 10w-30.
frown.gif

Why does everyone else have all the fun.
confused.gif

Not Delo... Rotella T 10W-30.

Gary... Just head down I-81 'til you get to Exit 57. You can find it at the Mechanicsburg Wal-Mart, about 1.5 miles off of the exit, at the intersection of Rt 114 and Rt 11.
smile.gif

Not TOO far from Pottsville!
wink.gif

Many WalMart's are starting to stock the Rotella T 10W-30 for the 6.0 PSD. The MC 10W-30 HDEO is a bit more scarce at Wally World...

Gene

quote:

Pottsville!

That's a different part of the world ..home of Yuengling ..two hospitals there..but I know it well. The Mister Donut where Rt 61 meets (hmmm) ..rt 219 or 209 ..anyway ..I'm about 65 miles from Mechanicsburg ..been there many a time. Camp Hill (was it Holy Spirit Hosp?) and the Naval Ships Part Distribution Center (I often found it odd that a bunch of trucks brought stuff into the place ..and the same trucks brought stuff out
confused.gif
).

Pottstown is on the other side of Reading.
smile.gif

But ..I've never paid much attention to the Rotella dino in WallyWorld ..maybe mine has it too.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back