Use 10W-20 as a replacement for XW-20 and XW-30 applications?

Yes, it’s on the website riddled with grammatical errors. I kid of course. But its in my 2007 Ranger and the 2.3 seems to like it. Smooth.

Starter drag when cold will be the stopping point on the 10W-20. MRV is similar to most 5W-30s.

How it performs used… is anyone’s guess. Most oils suffer dramatically reduced cold start ability from fuel dilution, combustion byproduct accumulations, etc. Those guys maybe have tested a used sample compared with a competitors 5W-30, and could weigh in - but otherwise, it’s all speculation.

Okay, first HPL does not have a 10w-20 with VII on their web page.
They have one with PAO, and one that’s Group III. ( a vulgar generalization )
Both straight grade.
Also, I placed an order not knowing about the bitog discount, and they added it for me!
Nobody else has ever done that.

Okay, first HPL does not have a 10w-20 with VII on their web page.
What's this? It's not in the No-VII category.

Also says: "Additionally, HPL PCMO contains premium viscosity index improvers (VII) to minimize shear, further extending the life of the oil."

Last edited:
I called HPL tech today and was told “both” 10w-20 were single grade.
Possibly a generic description borrowed from one of the other grades?
But I did get an answer as to which 10w-20 is better suited for a colder climate, and I believe I was told the more expensive variety because it’s PAO.
They said I was fine with the less expensive one.
I’m just grateful I found a detergent 10w-20, as I had been looking awhile.

I want to try 10w20 but have one question, why major brands do not make a straight oil? Besides API license, other also have non-API oils but I had not seen 10w20 street car oil before (or it's just me?)

exactly, HPL NoVII 5w20 HT(H/F)S is close to other brands, but that 10w20 is something else
How is that? The PCMO 10w20 is nearly identical to the PCMO 5w20 with a 2.759 HTHS vs 2.771? The Euro 10w20 is again near identical to these with a 2.795 cP result.

If you wanted the truly stout 5w20 that "isn't", one would pick the Euro 5w20 which has a higher HTHS than some Xw30s (it's even higher than HPL's own PCEO 5w30!).
1700159144499.png

How is that? The PCMO 10w20 is nearly identical to the PCMO 5w20 with a 2.759 HTHS vs 2.771? The Euro 10w20 is again near identical to these with a 2.795 cP result.

If you wanted the truly stout 5w20 that "isn't", one would pick the Euro 5w20 which has a higher HTHS than some Xw30s (it's even higher than HPL's own PCEO 5w30!).
View attachment 188846
The PCMO 10W-20 has a significant cost benefit over the No-VII subset of oils.

The PCMO 10W-20 has a significant cost benefit over the No-VII subset of oils.
Only if you're artificially limiting the OCI length based on factors other than oil and engine health, i.e. emotions or thought limitations.

If we arbitrarily, for purposes of comparison only at this point, assume a 20k OCI (which has been done in multiple engines and environments by a couple different HPL product lines at this point)- the No VII version would represent roughly an extra 1/8th of a penny, per mile, to get the HTHS of a 30 grade with the viscosity of a 20 grade, and zero concerns about the stability of viscosity index improvers. Put another way, it's an added expense of 63 cents every 500 miles of driving in this instance. Considering that even a bad cup of gas station coffee is nearly double this cost and on a daily basis, is the upgrade cost of the No VII line truly significant? It's been long ago established that HPL is not targeted at the WalMart shelf shoppers, nor arbitrary/OM-limited OCIs.

One of the use cases HPL used last week when talking lubricants with corporate engineers in the company I work for was an oilfield fracking operation; a fleet of twenty, 2500HP CAT diesels. CAT recommends 400 hour oil changes, and due to failures and other issues, "most" in this field were changing the oil around the 250 hour mark. After testing and validation, one of the companies running this operation extended their OCIs to 2000 hours (yes, a 5x increase in OEM-recommended change time), and even with the added upfront cost of HPL, slashed their maintenance costs by a full 50% from the switch to HPL over the CAT-recommended oil. I happen to know the person who runs this fracking operation, and he shared that a "typical" service to have a third party perform the oil changes runs $125,000 per team of 20 pumps. So would you rather pay $125k every 3 weeks, or once per quarter?? Does this directly cross to vehicle maintenance? Of course not, but service life of 3-5x with no loss of protection is a frequent finding when using HPL.

Only if you're artificially limiting the OCI length based on factors other than oil and engine health, i.e. emotions or thought limitations.

If we arbitrarily, for purposes of comparison only at this point, assume a 20k OCI (which has been done in multiple engines and environments by a couple different HPL product lines at this point)- the No VII version would represent roughly an extra 1/8th of a penny, per mile, to get the HTHS of a 30 grade with the viscosity of a 20 grade, and zero concerns about the stability of viscosity index improvers. Put another way, it's an added expense of 63 cents every 500 miles of driving in this instance. Considering that even a bad cup of gas station coffee is nearly double this cost and on a daily basis, is the upgrade cost of the No VII line truly significant? It's been long ago established that HPL is not targeted at the WalMart shelf shoppers, nor arbitrary/OM-limited OCIs.

One of the use cases HPL used last week when talking lubricants with corporate engineers in the company I work for was an oilfield fracking operation; a fleet of twenty, 2500HP CAT diesels. CAT recommends 400 hour oil changes, and due to failures and other issues, "most" in this field were changing the oil around the 250 hour mark. After testing and validation, one of the companies running this operation extended their OCIs to 2000 hours (yes, a 5x increase in OEM-recommended change time), and even with the added upfront cost of HPL, slashed their maintenance costs by a full 50% from the switch to HPL over the CAT-recommended oil. I happen to know the person who runs this fracking operation, and he shared that a "typical" service to have a third party perform the oil changes runs $125,000 per team of 20 pumps. So would you rather pay $125k every 3 weeks, or once per quarter?? Does this directly cross to vehicle maintenance? Of course not, but service life of 3-5x with no loss of protection is a frequent finding when using HPL.
The HPL PCMO 10W-20 is a fine product that you can use for extended intervals. It also has no VII's and is a little less expensive than the dedicated No VII product line. I'm not sure where you are going with your rant.

The heavier base oil viscosity in the HPL 10W-20 equates to improved dynamic viscosity, which can be beneficial for bearing wear under high loads. Based on the calculations in @Gokhan's spreadsheet, I think this product uses a heavier base oil than most 5W-30 oils.
Journal bearing protection is actually more correlated to HTHS than it is to HTFS, since the shear rates in journal bearings tends to be around 10^6 1/s, the same shear rate used for the HTHS measurement.

The advantage of high-HTFS oils is in protecting parts of the engine that experience shear rates much higher than 10^6 1/s. This includes the piston rings and cams.

Studies that look at engine wear vs oil viscosity usually indicate that the piston rings are the first component to start experiencing accelerated wear when the oil gets too thin. So for most engines, HTFS should probably be prioritized. I'd rather use a higher-HTFS 10W-20 than a higher-HTHS 5W-30, climate permitting.

View attachment 188846
Thanks for recommending Euro 5w20. That is a beast!
We see the specs are great, but do you see any issue with running a Euro oil in a Japanize engine? I had never looked at Euro ones because I don't have a European car.

Back