Anyone still use/own a CB radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a CDL (commercial driver's license) and I know for a fact that one of the current questions on the CDL tests asks: "What is the first thing you should do after you have an accident while driving your truck?" The only correct answer to the question is: "Get on your CB radio and contact the local police department".
I know that a lot of truckers no longer have CB radios and I also know that a lot of police departments have better things to do than to listen to channel 9 all day long. Perhaps they should update their questions?
Back in the day when everybody had a CB radio and everybody watched TV off of the antenna, truckers had a lot of fun with their linear amps. Locally, they could knock out both the TV signal and mess up the city's water system that depended on a radio signal to shut off the pumps. After repeated problems, they wired up their pumps to run off of a pressure signal instead of a radio signal.
Instead of CB radios, most of the area farmers use cell phones or marine radios, even if they are a little on the gray side of the law.

I still have a few from my ol Cobra 29LTD to a couple newer smaller units. I have quick mount and mag antenna because I rarely use them, only when going on longer out of town vacation drives for aa couple days or so.
I'll probably be hooking up and taking one along for a ride soon when we will be out of town for the better part of a week.
SUV stereo, GPS, radar detector, weather radio, AM/FM/SW radio, might as well have the CB tag along too. Gives me something to do during hours of driving so I don't have to listen to the wife.
Used to run HAM radio too (mostly Icom 706, and a few others), but have 2-meter HTs also.

I just picked up one of these on amazon too, to try to get a little more range out of it. I did get some atmospheric bounce, was listening to a couple truckers in Texas for a few minutes tonight.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Id personally go with a Uniden PC68 LTW, get it peaked and tuned by a CB shop,

Will he need a time machine to go back to 1975 and actually find a CB shop?
crazy2.gif

Truck Stops actually have CB shops in them.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I just picked up one of these on amazon too, to try to get a little more range out of it. I did get some atmospheric bounce, was listening to a couple truckers in Texas for a few minutes tonight.

One of what?

I have one in a box in storage somewhere. I saw it about five years ago. But, I might have thrown it away.

No longer interested.

Skip is still rollin. Last Sunday I talked to "195" in Arkansas from my Jeep here in Ca.

Up into the late 90's the RC toys at Radio shack used a frequency between ch15 and ch16 as there is a 20kz gap there(27.145 I think it was).

Come Christmas time we would go into Radio shack and turn on all the toys then go key the CB and crank up the linear on 15 or 16 and watch all the cars go flying off the shelves and the robots and whatever go in circles! Good times!

BTW I'm looking for a good and clean Galaxy DX99v, a Grant or Philly 148 if anybody here wants to sell theres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back