The demise of AM radio

There was a commentary piece in todays Wall Street Journal written by Allen Funt, yes that Allen Funt, about how car manufacturers are leaving out the ability of some new 2023 cars to receive AM radio. Apparently AM reception requires shielding and distance from interfering devices and manufacturers (Tesla, other EV’s and Ford trucks were noted) are deleting AM to save some $. Others are expected to follow the herd.

I admit that I use AM very infrequent in my car, except for sports where my favorite baseball is carried only on AM. I also note that every time I have seen one of those government “in case of emergency” or for information - tune to XX.y it is always an AM radio station. So there is that to consider.

He also noted that radio signals never stop, that CB radio conversation you had years ago is still traveling on in space. Ten-four good buddy!

A lot of farmers in my area listen to an AM radio station and they are irate because the new F-150's don't have AM any longer. I could care less if I have AM radio or not.

That is odd. Ford only keeps that stupid fender mounted antenna for country folk to listen to AM radio. Because nothing else (outside of SiriusXM) has the reach.

The "radio" in our new Toyota - which is the upgraded JBL model sounds great but the radio portion absolutely sucks, both AM and FM.

I like the occasional AM program but AM doesn't work well at all in the city nor when your moving any distance anyway, which might be most of their customer sets. Taking it out of trucks is stupid though - good way to loose $60K truck customers in order to save a dime. GM should go back to advertising AM radio in there trucks and take some more market share. Failure to know your customer has lost lots of business for other companies.

There is a stretch of interstate around here that if its cloudy I can DX a AM station in either New Jersey or NY, and they update me on the traffic on the George Washington bridge. Sort of fun listening to radio from 500 miles away.

I like the idea of listening to AM more than actually listening to AM. It's a bummer, but times change.

Not sure anyone wants that chunk of RF space, antennas too big.

Wonder when FM will likewise fade away... few more decades I wager, but maybe not, if streaming keeps pushing along. Its saving grace? just like AM, who wants that spectrum? antennas too big for most users.

I tune to KRLD 1080 almost every day for Traffic on the 8s, so I know where all the doofuses have flipped their cars and blocked three lanes. Glad I'm in no danger of buying a 2023 anything.

I used to listen to AM talk radio sometimes, but where I live now that station doesn’t always come in great. Just as well, there are sooooooo many commercials it was driving me insane. It seemed like 5 mins of content, 5 mins of Kars 4 Kids jingles, and 3 mins of the radio host promoting something.

Thankfully there’s an FM station now for the baseball games so I don’t have to listen to AM ever again. But I do remember back when I had to drive home from the central part of the state a few nights a week I would listen to WBZ 1030 “Nightside with Dan Rea”, that was fun and that station comes in clear as day.

I love AM radio. Although most AM stations that were local have become part of the mega oligopoly of broadcast, the few outliers in AM radio are wonderful.

What a shame. Starting to see everyday with barriers to markets, large organizations are giving their customers less and charging more. No excuse for a Ford truck not to have AM radio. Next they will eliminate FM, and then get a monthly commission from the audio streaming services like Spotify.

Sad situation.

Back