Anyone replaced a pop-up drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
y_p_w, you give the impression you don't have many tools. If you're going to DIY as a homeowner a few hand tools will make most jobs around the house a whole lot easier. You saved a $200 plumber bill, use a little of it and get yourself some basic tools. So much easier when you have some slip-joint pliers and a hacksaw rather than having to borrow them. Good job on the repair, it sounds like it went about as I've come to expect.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: spasm3
If you own a home, you need to have some channellock pliers around. $22 for a set of 2 USA made.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channellock-...GLS-1/100029000

channellock-plier-sets-gls-1-64_1000.jpg

That's what I was thinking. My dad might have some I can borrow. However, the instructions I've seen recommend the kind with straight jaws.

Get some of each if you like, but the set i showed you is a fantastic deal and will handle most anything around the house. I can't believe they are a USA made major brand for $22 for a set of 2.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
y_p_w, you give the impression you don't have many tools. If you're going to DIY as a homeowner a few hand tools will make most jobs around the house a whole lot easier. You saved a $200 plumber bill, use a little of it and get yourself some basic tools. So much easier when you have some slip-joint pliers and a hacksaw rather than having to borrow them. Good job on the repair, it sounds like it went about as I've come to expect.

I've got everything I need to change the oil and transmission fluids on any of my vehicles. And all the tools I need for my electronics. I can't seem to find that T-60 Torx bit that I used on the transmission drain bolt of my Subaru. That was an adventure getting that back in 2004.

I know I rather made do with what I had. I don't particularly need those Channel-Locks any more since I used a plastic drain with a hand-tightened nut.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Suit yourself. Some people (I've heard
wink.gif
)will find any little reason to acquire a new tool.

I resemble that remark!
grin2.gif

Just a follow up. I still have a dish pan under the sink and it's still leaking. However, I'm tracing the source of the leak to the hole where the plunger rod for the pop-up mechanism. Even if I got rid of it the hole would still be there unless I filled it up. I guess I can't really do anything about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back