Anyone here still using 15w40?

We used 15w40 Valvoline Blue in our Cummins Diesel generators that ran emergency fire pumps on chemical plants in the deep south. I would use it with caution in cold climates. Its a darn good oil just not for everything. I cant see a need for that in cars or even a light duty truck.
Get yourself a 3V Ford with blown tensioner seals (ok, actually, no, don't do that) and you'll appreciate 15W-40 in a small V8 gasser ;)

My father has been a heavy equipment mechanic since the 1970s and still works full time today. He uses 15W40 in EVERY diesel engine including his own personal 2017 L5P Duramax. I don't know that I've ever heard him talk of an engine failure due to maintenance.

Farmer friends 19’ Ram 2500 he bought. 80k

Some ROTELLA T5 synblend and Donaldson dad gave me 14 of. Old filter was Mighty. Chucked right into fire pit. Keeps crackhead neighbors at bay. He called and says running good. I girly 2 dozen fresh eggs to boot.

He asked me bout using 15w40; I said “people I know and talk to would cringe!” He said ok, we will do 10w30.

Kind of on the fence about 15w40 lately with temps in Michigan that can range from -19F to 100+ I’ve been using a lot more 5w40 the last few years. Starts are easier no matter what season. Last 15w40 I used was probably in August in the portable generator because it was hot and we went without power for three days. Rural King 10w30 HDEO in some of my other small engines because it’s cheap and gets changed every other year.

Still using 15w40 on pre updated 6.7 cummins trucks like 18 and older. No issues here. Any issues on those typically stemmed from lack of owner maintenance not the actual oil itself

On the 19 and up i use 5w40.

I think the main reason they were so adamant about the no 15w40 was the conventional vs syn/syn blend factor. They could have just said they want and require synthetic oil. There are 15w40 synthetic but just not as commonly found.

I do know there are plenty of small and or large aftermarket shops that still just pour bulk 15w40 in those 6.7s 19+

My shop I don’t see many hard part engine failures on diesels at all. Would say if I do it’s a poorly maintained truck with quite a few miles and the owner always acts surprised

Yet never seen an engine issue on one I have maintained from new

Used Delvac 1300 Super 15-40 until about 180k in our Ford 6.0 diesel, then switched to Delvac Extreme synthetic 15-40 and it's at 255k miles and going strong. UOA consistently shows only 6ppm of iron. Very reliable truck...stock heads have never been off the truck.

I use 15w-40 T5 in my 2006 Duramax. We don't see weather outside of 0-100, so by the manual I could have my choice of grade, but they specify 15w-40 is preferred. I see little benefit to the experiment for a truck that gets very little drive time during the colder months. Even in the summer, cold starts are 80 psi at idle. Probably excessive but I don't see the problem in it.

I want the 40 weight hot. When we tow our camper in the big hills, oil pressure will drop as oil temp increases on sustained grade pulls. Below a certain point the piston cooling jets cut off and that's a situation that would pretty quickly lead to ventilated pistons while under load.

Someday I'll put a late model (2020+ L5P) oil cooler on the truck (twice the heat exchanger surface area) to remedy the issue, but I don't see a reason to go away from 15w-40.

There are lots of these older trucks on the road and the diesel truck community is especially resistant to change. I hope to see 15w-40 HDEO without the SN rating at Wal-Mart for a very long time.

1707489213492.jpg

Last edited:
It’s driven by adoption of newer engines. Not 24 year old engines.

A new 6.7 powerstroke is factory filled and recommends 10w30. Not 15w40.

The problem is new engine manufacturers are not pushing 10w30 heavily. Thus the lack of adoption. They say recommended / factory fill. But they don’t say do not run 15w40. So the adoption is slow, other than those who look at fuel economy.
There are also quite a few older diesels out there that spec 15w40 compared to the newer ones recommending 10w30. So probably why 15w40 is more popular.

Most engine manufacturers have 10w30 rated back to 2003.

I’ve seen several tests in pre emissions and post emissions engines. Holds up fine.

For the most part, people are comparing conventional group 2 15w40s against Synthetic blend 10w30s. So the viscosity of the 10w30 is on the higher end of the 30 side. Where as a conventional 15w40 will float on the lower end of the 40 side.

The lack of adoption comes from several issues. 1. Simply the lack of an education on the differences in the oils. The vast majority of fleet buyers (where the major gallons are) aren’t all that educated on oil. It’s just a commodity to them. Use whatever is cheapest.

This leads to point 2. Up until a few years ago, 10w30s have been vastly more expensive than 15w40 at the fleet level. It’s hard to sell a fleet an oil that’s going to cost them more. Sure, there’s certainly fuel savings. But you have to show it to them. On top of that, you have the people that have been using 15w40 forever and it hasn’t failed them. Change is hard to force. Add in the scare of wear and you have a hard up hill battle to face.

I personally recommend anything 2008 and newer to use 10w30. As, emissions is at play at that point. Detroit specifically calls for FA4 10w30 back to then and forward.

Diesel 10w30s have been around a long, long time. It’s just been a hard battle to get them adopted. I think we will finally see it take over in PC12 in the next 3-5 years.
I don't doubt the 10w30 is perfectly capable, my issue is availability. Not many 5 gallon or 2.5 gallon containers of 10w30 HDEO available, same with the gallon jugs. The 10w30 HDEO that is available is usually more expensive than comparable 15w40. My local TSC and WalMart are good examples. They have maybe 5 or 6 options for 15w40, but 1 of 10w30 HDEO and the 10w30 is significantly more expensive per quart.

I use it my antiques (Willys jeeps mostly) instead of the various additives (zinc, lead substitute, etc.) and haven't had any issues. I originally found it with the "S" (spark ignition, it stands for, I think) in the rating but the last pail only had the "C" designation (Combustion ignition, ie diesel, I've been told). My '55 Willys plow truck parks in my shop, which is heated when I'm working in it, so it rarely gets below freezing in there for very long, as far as starting it, but since the thermostat keeps the operating temp at 180, I'm not concerned with the "too thick for cold weather" thing, and that's with a 6 volt system.

There are also quite a few older diesels out there that spec 15w40 compared to the newer ones recommending 10w30. So probably why 15w40 is more popular.

16+ year old equipment is not the majority of the HDEO market.

Average fleet age is somewhere around 11.5 last I checked. It went out a bit because of Covid. However, the majority of daily use (and thus oil volume) is newer equipment.

Reactions: 4WD
16+ year old equipment is not the majority of the HDEO market.

Average fleet age is somewhere around 11.5 last I checked. It went out a bit because of Covid. However, the majority of daily use (and thus oil volume) is newer equipment.
For over the road trucks likely yes, farm equipment definitely not.

For over the road trucks likely yes, farm equipment definitely not.

Majority of HDEO volume is in operations that run “24/7” - HDEO, Mining, construction/yellow iron, power generation and large agricultural.

Sure, I myself have a 350 acre farm and a great 1964 IH 806 with a 1206 turbo. But my once a year oil change in it doesn’t mean much in the scheme of HDEO fleet usage. Let alone my CaseIH Maxxum 140 Pro can take 10w30.

The point is, 10w30 HDEO “should” be around 60% of the volume of HDEO out there right now. It’s simply the fact the consumers don’t want to switch, for whatever reason. Education, good enough, price, etc. as I mentioned earlier in this thread. By 2027 10w30 “should” be in excess of 75% of the HDEO volume, with other low viscosity oils such as 5w30 But; with current trends it’s going to be lucky to break 40%.

Easy as that. The antidotes of “well my old tractor..” are nice, yes. But not the primary consumer of HDEO products. On road > Construction > Ag > Power Generation > Mining - in about that order. Most large farms use new tractors. Heck even my 2008 Deere 2305 calls for 10w30. “Every day” hard use stuff - it’s getting harder and harder to maintain more Classic equipment.

Few friends of mine instill do oil changes for still want 15w40. I’ve used it without issue. Yes it cranks slow way below freezing. Kinda sad that fleets still use it over 10w30 to be honest. Few friends that work beside my work run it without issues too. Anyone here use it in gas vehicles still?
I haven't used it in many years. Not even in my 1984 Oldsmobile with a 76 350 Olds or any of my OPE. We get cold weather here in Canada and I don't see a reason to use anything other than m1 0w40 that I buy on sale for $34 Canadian for 5 qts.

Still use 15w-40 in the’27 Model T. Air cooled Yamaha 650. Riding mower. 50 year old 4 cylinder generator.

Back