Anyone here fully recover from CHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you really advise the OP with his condition to reach ejection over 70% with the nutrition, stress reduction, meditation and exercise alone? Those are great supplementary therapy venues along with the methods of modern allopathic medicine, but accusing doctors in grave conspiracy like some of you do shows astounding ignorance. Psychosomatic and hypochondriac male patients are the hardest ones to help, and like in case of Steve, past drug abuse aggravates their mental predicament.

Job #1: A complete change of lifestyle that is based upon a 100% organic plant based diet is required. No meat, fish, wheat, dairy, sugar and ANY form of sweetness, alcohol. add in juicing, remineralized distilled water and high quality food based, non-synthetic supplements for support, rebounding, walking, daily sun exposure, Udos Choice essential fatty acid oil.

For the non-believers, read The China Study. Listen to the likes of Brain Clement, Gabriel Cousens, T. Colin Campbell. The work/research has been done, after that its simply denial/stupidity and shows a need to wake up.

[/quote]Don't forget the natural blood pressure reducers like garlic, celery, beets, parsley to name a few. Foods that are high in phosphorus and magnesium are heart healthy too. You'll learn plenty as you dig in deeper. Garlic and onions not only good for your heart, but great for the immune system. If only people substituted for of that for fast food burgers, fries, and pizza. Besides a potent multi-vitamin I take additional C, D3, CoQ10, hawthorn berry, and aged garlic extract. But the food is what you should focus on. My cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL to LDL, homocysteine, HS CRP, and numerous other markers of inflammation risks went to optimum levels on diet/exercise. [/quote]

^ common sense.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Job #1: A complete change of lifestyle that is based upon a 100% organic plant based diet is required. No meat, fish, wheat, dairy, sugar and ANY form of sweetness, alcohol. add in juicing, remineralized distilled water and high quality food based, non-synthetic supplements for support, rebounding, walking, daily sun exposure, Udos Choice essential fatty acid oil.

For the non-believers, read The China Study. Listen to the likes of Brain Clement, Gabriel Cousens, T. Colin Campbell. The work/research has been done, after that its simply denial/stupidity and shows a need to wake up.

I disagree, strongly. Plant based diets can cause intestinal bloating, water retention, digestive issues, insulin issues, and always result in weaker muscles. And worse all cause mortality, shorter lifespan. Not exactly what someone with CHF needs.

I think you are considering a diet for someone with atherosclerosis, and not considering the needs of someone with CHF.

Off topic a bit, but the causes of heart disease are not well understood. We do know for example that certain Japanese individuals live without any significant arterial plaque. The assumption was always a "healthy diet" was the reason. Modern studies now show it's specific to certain locations, and may be related to other factors. A great place to start is Dr. Kendrick's blogs on what causes heart disease. It's not a simple thing!

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2016/01/18/what-causes-heart-disease/

Something funny:

988e771ff68fbd278d9cde212628153dd8f8dee7870c00b98c658247863829e1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
The underlying cause may determine your recovery. Sometimes is idiopathic, its just not known what the cause is. Cardiomyopathy can be caused by viral infections, long standing hypertension, alcohol and some drug use and some older chemo cancer treatments.

If you recently had an extremely stressful event in your life, it's possible its Takotsubo. Takotsubo is not fully understood but may be related to catecholamine release due to extremely stressful events. Ejection fraction can improve in those patients in time.

If your ejection fraction does not improve in the next few months your physician my refer you for a implantable defibrillator. The defibrillator would monitor and try to convert lethal dysrhythmias.
An other treatment is a bi-ventricular pacemaker. When you pace both ventricles at exactly the same time , the ventricular septum does not move as much and your ejection fraction is improved.

Sorry to hear about this, i wish you the best.

Thank you. They don't know why yet. I think its Cardiomyopathy, think they suspect that too. I was tested for viral, coincidentally I had the flu (for the first time in decades). They gave me viral meds. I would say yes to long standing Hypertension. Surging blood pressure. As far as alcohol I wasn't a daily or weekly drinker but when I did sometimes it was enough to get pretty buzzed and have a hangover. Some would consider that abusive. I would call that moderately abusive
smile.gif
However my liver and kidneys tested excellent. I signed off on several other tests like HIV, etc. All negative. Cardio cath came back excellent, clear. They went in 3 different places. Cholesterol excellent which was good to know I always tried to eat good. They mentioned pacemaker early on. Going to read about Takotsubo right now..

And I need to cut back on coffee I think..

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: hatt

I don't think you realize how sick you are.

That's what I was thinking.

Probably true. Because I feel better than I've felt in maybe a year. Strong urge to exercise harder. But I stop. I've been walking to that stop sign and back every day. Its a 15-20% grade, maybe 600 feet. I can do it 7 times in a row not breathing that heavy then I stop. Feel relaxed after, but I do get sleepy toes like you get when its cold. Toes falling asleep if I stand up to long is the only noticeable symptom I have right now.

Job #1: A complete change of lifestyle that is based upon a 100% organic plant based diet is required. No meat, fish, wheat, dairy, sugar and ANY form of sweetness, alcohol.

I think I would rather die!

[/quote]Don't forget the natural blood pressure reducers like garlic, celery, beets, parsley to name a few. Foods that are high in phosphorus and magnesium are heart healthy too. You'll learn plenty as you dig in deeper. Garlic and onions not only good for your heart, but great for the immune system. If only people substituted for of that for fast food burgers, fries, and pizza. Besides a potent multi-vitamin I take additional C, D3, CoQ10, hawthorn berry, and aged garlic extract. But the food is what you should focus on. My cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL to LDL, homocysteine, HS CRP, and numerous other markers of inflammation risks went to optimum levels on diet/exercise.

^ common sense. [/quote]

Common sense, sure. Yet, I'd submit that 50-85% of the population with hypertension don't even consume some of the basic foods to assist them.

Walk an hour a day or at least 150 mins per week. Start doing some pushups. You still need to lose about 30 lbs. Also salads are your new best friend. Quinoa is excellent. Only $2.50 per box at Aldi. Also their frozen blueberries are excellent. Their produce is very good as well. If you focus on what they have on sale it's an even better deal. Green tea, you may want the decaf version which is supposed to help the heart plus a bunch of other positives. Hopefully your goal will be to feel great and get off as many meds as possible.

Try to routinely study new nutrition and exercise tips.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
relaxed after, but I do get sleepy toes like you get when its cold. Toes falling asleep if I stand

You need to rule out diabetes - could be a typical neuropathy, associated with diabetes. Do you get blue lips when you get your sleepy toes? Anyway, you have to tell all those "usual" to you things to your doctors..

Originally Posted By: Y_K
relaxed after, but I do get sleepy toes like you get when its cold. Toes falling asleep if I stand

You need to rule out diabetes - could be a typical neuropathy, associated with diabetes. Do you get blue lips when you get your sleepy toes? Anyway, you have to tell all those "usual" to you things to your doctors..

I don't know for sure, will mention next appt. Assuming after 9 days in the hospital with 10 different doctors and cardiologists, countless blood draws that they tested for that. I do not remember them saying no, just my cholesterol was excellent, no need for cholesterol meds. My weight was soaring, but the lasix pills removed 23lbs of it. I've never been obese, mostly eat healthy. My new knowledge of salt in processed foods tells me I made a few eating mistakes.. no more Chipotle, no more Mexican food lol.

I'm thinking the sleepy toes after standing or walking for a while may be related to low BP? current BP is way lower than its ever been, avg is 116/75 75. Resting even lower. They are doing that on purpose, in concert with the lasix for the fluid buildup issue.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Walk an hour a day or at least 150 mins per week. Start doing some pushups. You still need to lose about 30 lbs. Also salads are your new best friend. Quinoa is excellent. Only $2.50 per box at Aldi. Also their frozen blueberries are excellent. Their produce is very good as well. If you focus on what they have on sale it's an even better deal. Green tea, you may want the decaf version which is supposed to help the heart plus a bunch of other positives. Hopefully your goal will be to feel great and get off as many meds as possible.

Try to routinely study new nutrition and exercise tips.

I currently weigh between 189-193 (5'-9"). Before this happened a few years ago I tried getting into the 170's but I was feeling horrible. Skipping meals, weight training on an empty stomach, always hungry, etc. For my body I think 180-185 is about right. Will drop another 10 and see how I feel.

I'm thinking the sleepy toes after standing or walking for a while may be related to low BP? current BP is way lower than its ever been, avg is 116/75 75. Resting even lower. They are doing that on purpose, in concert with the lasix for the fluid buildup issue.

Or just simple lack of blood flow. If doc allows, bicycling can help blood flow to the feet. You also might consider a modest quantity of some whey protein right after exercise. It can be a good method to build muscle, and acts as a natural diuretic.

As I mentioned earlier, I've done well with my issues, via daily gym weightlifting visits, some cardio, and a protein based diet. It took a while to work my way up, but EF is normal now. Back from the dead, thank goodness!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Or just simple lack of blood flow. If doc allows, bicycling can help blood flow to the feet. You also might consider a modest quantity of some whey protein right after exercise. It can be a good method to build muscle, and acts as a natural diuretic.

As I mentioned earlier, I've done well with my issues, via daily gym weightlifting visits, some cardio, and a protein based diet. It took a while to work my way up, but EF is normal now. Back from the dead, thank goodness!

I was biking a lot until I moved to NH. Roads are too dangerous, need to find a close bike trail or join a gym. Need to wait for another EF test. I'm glad to hear that there is EF recovery.

Do you still watch your salt and fluid intake?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
LeakySeals,

Do you toes change color when they start feeling numb ?

White

As usual BITOG has been extremely helpful, even for this. You guys are awesome!

I suspect the toe thing is due to your reduced cardiac output. EF is the ejection fraction 55-70% is normal, but it does not tell the whole story. Your body's ability to move blood is part of the picture. Peripheral vascular resistance is improved with exercise, allowing your heart to move more volume with less work. Thats why exercise helps over time. The easier it is for the left ventricle to unload, the easier it is for the right sided ( pulmonary) pressures to stay lower. With time and with heart failure medicines this may improve even if your ejection fraction does not.

I would run your exercise ideas and regimen with your cardiologist. I might avoid heavy weightlifting. I would avoid really elevated heart rates until you run this by your cardiologist, you don't want any dysrthmias.

I currently weigh between 189-193 (5'-9"). Before this happened a few years ago I tried getting into the 170's but I was feeling horrible. Skipping meals, weight training on an empty stomach, always hungry, etc. For my body I think 180-185 is about right. Will drop another 10 and see how I feel.

If you eat the right amount of good food each day, there is no way you will feel hungry, faint, etc. When I shifted my diet over 8 years ago I could barely find the time in the day to eat ENOUGH good food to maintain my proper weight and get all the nutrients I needed (fiber, vits, minerals). The right foods during the day fill you up. It doesn't take much bread, pasta, fruit juice, soda, sweets, fried foods, to mess up your day. Even whole wheat/whole grain breads and pasta are essentially dead foods. Shouldn't even be in your diet. That's where the hunger comes from. Pile on the fruits and veggies, beans and quinoa, with 3 meals + 2 snacks per day (2000-2200 cal) and there will be no hunger, no lethargy, etc.

For years I couldn't break the 210 lb barrier. Figured at my age it was impossible. Then I figured out that combining certain foods and avoiding specific combos made a huge difference. My metabolism went to a level probably not seen since my teens. My weight dropped to what it was when I was 16-17. Besides diet and exercise, sleep and water intake played a role too. That last 15 lbs. came by better regulating my sleep and water. I had never in my life worried about all those things together...hence the inability to ever get back under 200 lbs. Yes, it takes a lot of discipline, including getting your food ready long before you're hungry. Bringing good snacks and things to eat when you leave the house...rather than stopping for "easy" fast food. If a 50 yr serial fast food junky and chocoholic can do it, anyone can. I learned that for me, keeping the denser carbo's and fats separated worked. My lunch salad was low calorie veggies/avocado + protein. There was no bread, pasta, white potatoes tossed in there to spike the blood sugar and mess with absorption. Worst combo to not lose weight is mixing fats and sweets/high glycemic carbs.

My lapses come from not eating a solid break fast and big lunch based around a monster salad with about a dozen ingredients. If I miss either one of those, my end of day meal usually ends up being a binge to cover up for what I missed. And often those binges get me to go for the easy to reach pasta, breads, etc. because I'm feeling famished or under-carbo'd. It's unreal how that mid-day monster salad + fresh fruit keys the whole day. Some people prefer the monster break fast. It's the lunch that works for me.

Do you still watch your salt and fluid intake?

Salt restriction? Absolutely! I do not do well with salty foods. Restaurant food is loaded with salt. Even the most benign foods, such as a green salad with chicken/with mixed in dressing, can be exceedingly salty at some joints! I MUST be very careful with salt. However, I've found it to be rather easy to accomplish. I no longer eat blackened fish or chicken. Only grilled. I use pepper on my foods. Since I've always liked pepper, works out well. I use salad dressing sparingly. I don't ever eat conventional prepared foods. No starch, no high glycemic foods, no starchy veggies. Only uncooked greens and proteins.

As for fluids, I tend to do really well with the protein diet. It really does eliminate excess water, so I'm not too restricted with fluid intake. However, I cannot drink as much as others when it's hot out. I simply can't process that much water. I bloat up right away.

In strict moderation, alcohol has been helpful too, as it is a diuretic. Never more than one. Before people go nuts stating that alcohol is the devil-incarnate, be aware that studies clearly show that teetotalers have a 2.5 year shorter lifespan, all cause mortality, than those who drink a single serving or two per day. In particular, it's cardioprotective in strict moderation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back