Anyone have a 18 Accord or 18 Camry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got irritated when an auto journalist reviewing the 17 Cmary called it "ALL NEW". There's nothing ALL NEW about it. It's still on a revised platform from 2000, it's still using the AR engine from 2008 with revisions. Who is Toyota trying to feeding this [censored] to? It's all-revised, all-tinkered but there's nothing ALL NEW about it. It's as dumb as calling their MC platform (Corolla and Lexuses) ALL NEW, it's just a progressively doctored-up M platform from 1997.

This business strategy of constant revision of old platforms should logically result in reliability and spectacular production economy, but the only thing that seems to be happening is the production economy. Economically speaking, Toyota of all companies should be having the greatest success of new part launches but they suffer with the worst of them, because they're that greedy to rush to market and spend the least money on doing do. Effem.

Test drove the 1.5T Sport and a 2.0T Touring. To start the seats are more comfortable than the previous years. The Sport had a cloth/leather seats. Push button start. Gauges were crisp and clear with out being overwhelming bright. With the engine on it is very quiet. The shifting was smooth and calm. No hesitations or lurches. Road noise was min. We were having 20mph gust from the north. It felt solid and firm but not sport carish suspension. When WOT the engine noise does increase quite a bit little turbo lag but it has some get to it. I was impressed or so I thought until I jumped in the Touring. What a difference in road noise. Suspension seemed to be very hard to differentiate between the two. The leather was soft and comfortable but seemed to be of a higher quality than that of previous years. WOT HOLY SMOKES this thing gets. From a 5mph flooring it was engaging the traction control all the way into 3rd. Very little turbo lag. Everything was seamed up tightly on both trim levels. The amount of buttons have decreased compared to prior years on the console. It has been awhile since I have been this impressed by Honda they have upped their game. This may pull some people from Acura. Will look forward to test driving the Camry in the coming days.

Unfortunately the Accord trims with the 2.0 liter start above $30k.

Maybe they are playing the same game as Toyota, where a V6 is available in the Camry but the price puts it in Avalon territory so nobody in their right mind buys it.
Dealers around here with 100+ Camry in stock might have a single 1 with a V6, or 2 if you're lucky, and they are listed for over $30k like the Accord 2.0T
lol.gif

Problem with that hood to plastic line is it will never line up perfectly after any sort of work or wreck. Call me biased but i like the 13-15 accords the best from a style point of view. I also prefer the big n/a 4 cylinder for our "put the most miles on it because we usually take it as a family vehicle" car. I am expecting it to pretty much last forever.

Have you driven the Camry yet to compare? Interested in your thoughts.

Have you considered the Mazda 6 in your options either?

Paying attention to this thread because I was plannings on replacing an 03 Accord soon, although I’m not happy that all the 2018s seem to be completely revamped. I was hoping to get an end of model year deal this fall but with all the new bodies, engines, etc I just don’t know anymore. I don’t like the Honda going turbo, and have never really liked Toyota’s much beyond their looks.

Haven’t driven either of the other two. I don’t care for the Mazda 6 front end and not feeling the Camry. I would want the V6 and that’s getting to be close if not more than the 2.0 accords.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Since this essentially turned into a thread regarding the new (2018) Accord, it may as well include a link to the Honda Accord board: www.driveaccord.net.

I'll do one better and link to Honda's Accord site.
https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan

You realize the new Accord was always a main topic of the thread? It happens to be handily beating Camry in reviews and comparison tests and it's the one the OP has driven so far.

Depends if you want a turbo engine with a cvt trans(Accord) that handles better(more fun) or a naturally aspirated engine with a conventional trans(Camry) that should last longer and be more reliable.

The 2 liter turbo Accord comes with a 10 speed auto. So a new engine and trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back