Anyone ever track down cars you've owned in the past? How?

I bought my first BMW-a 1973 Bavaria-in 1983. I performed a rolling restoration and sold it to a friend in 1990. He sold it on several years later and that owner sold it on to a gentleman who later contacted me on the 2002 FAQ forum. He still owns the car and it was featured in a Petrolicious article on The Vintage :
View attachment 107007

Man, look at the red and blue/emerald-ish E30 on the right.

MCompact I'll send you the VIN of mine if you want.

I'd sell my fleet to get another E30 in the configuration I had it I don't get down with a 4cyl M3 or 318 or an ix. And I still think they looked worse 88-91 or 92.

RedSpider that one of the best cars I ever had. If I saw the front I could tell you if it's a 89-90 or a 91-94 (93?) That's an S13.

I would drive to Georgia to buy one mint, which is the last place I saw one being sold years ago, mint, $2500. An S13.
Yup it was a 1993 (my second 1993, first one was a hatchback) and it was a keeper for sure, but I already have one car in the barn barely being used and didn't want to park another one in there. I was afraid mice would ruin the interior, and the bottom was getting pretty crunchy with rust, probably dangerously so, so even jacking it up to put on new tires (which it would need soon) was going to be a nail biter. It was time for it to go, it had close to 400,000 on it but it ran great and didn't burn a drop of oil. If it weren't so rusty on the underside frame rails I would still be driving it. I had more unsolicited offers to buy that car from me than I would ever imagine anyone could get. Gas stations, stop lights... everywhere I went "Hey man, you interested in selling that?" Fun to drive, reliable as anything, great car. Broke my heart in half to find it in a junkyard like that, stripped of everything and the side and front end smashed up.

I've been feeling very nostalgic lately, especially regarding the V8-powered '78 Malibu two-door sedan I had right after high school. It was big and 'powerful' and fun, but in the new world of FWD econoboxes, it just seemed very 'old' so selling it at the time was not a big deal. I sold it to a friend but eventually lost track of both the friend and the car.

Has anyone ever had any luck tracking down cars they've owned, presumably using the VIN? Are there people or services out there that do such things?
I used to have a friend whose brother was a small town policeman. He would run vin checks for me on classic cars I wanted to buy. I was looking to see how many owners / any wrecks or insurance claims like floods etc.... Usually was able to find out what I was looking for. Never tried on one of my past vehicles.
If you have any Law Enforcement connections that is an easy way to start the tracking.

I used to have a friend whose brother was a small town policeman. He would run vin checks for me on classic cars I wanted to buy. I was looking to see how many owners / any wrecks or insurance claims like floods etc.... Usually was able to find out what I was looking for. Never tried on one of my past vehicles.
If you have any Law Enforcement connections that is an easy way to start the tracking.
How long ago was that? These days that is an easy way to get booted off the force.

I was bored one night and started Googling old VIN numbers. Most of my cars could not be found, but our VW Routan popped up in an auction yard for wrecked cars. It had been totaled.

Funny thing was, the website was Russian, but the yard was in CO. I was able to google the wrecking yard and found it on an American site. I wonder if Russians buy a lot of wrecked cars from the US for parts or repair? This was before they invaded the country of my ancestors.

My hope was the family that owned it was OK. It looked like a bad hit.

There was a 1992 Nissan Sentra in our family, bought brand new. The car was my dad's first, then mine for a couple of years until I sold it back to him. After that, it was sold to a shady used car lot.

Several years later, I was certain I saw the car in a parking lot of a local grocery store. It had the same discolouration on the wheels, and damage to the characters on the badging (the "X" in the "GXE" broke to look like the Greek character lambda). I looked at the VIN through the windshield and wrote it down so I could look through my old records at home later, and peeked at the odometer (had the old school mechanical type), and saw that it was reading about 200,000 km less than when we sold the car. When I got home, I confirmed that was indeed our old car, and seemingly sold to an unsuspecting buyer who thought the mileage was far less than what it was.

Also, my son's Impala was written off earlier this year for cosmetic damage due to it's age (we managed to get what I figured was $2k more than what it would have been worth). Followed it on an auction site until it was sold a few weeks after insurance bought it off him. Not sure where it went after that.

Not my car and a long story....

When my younger brother moved to Florida and needed a car, my father found a nice used, 1984 Cutlass for him. Purchased for ~$2k. The idea was to drop in a rebuilt engine and trans, do the brakes, etc. then drive it from CA to FL and drop it off.

After a few months in FL, it was stolen. The only thing left in it's parking spot at my brother's apartment complex was broken window glass.

Around 6-8 months go by, my brother and his wife are in her car, stopped at an intersection. He looks over at the Circle-K and in the parking lot is a Cutlass that looked like his. He pulls in to take a closer look; dented rear view mirror on the driver's door, vent window in the rear door has a rusted frame, obviously replaced, same new tires (another long story).....

He tells his wife to call the police and he goes inside. "Who owns the Cutlass parked outside?" The woman behind the counter says it's hers.

A sheriff shows up, my brother explains to him his suspicions. The cop asks is him anyone can make the same claims, but is there concrete proof that this is your car? My brother tells him that when he had the registration changed to his name, that same rainy day he was at his insurance company and had put the insurance papers under the trunk mat (yeah, I don't know why he'd do that either). They open trunk open and under the mat are the papers with my brother's name and address.

A detective shows up, takes a pencil and with the eraser flicks the VIN plate off the dash. Prints are lifted, etc. Turns out some of the prints belong to a known car thief and the car was traced back to a body shop near my brother's residence. Huge break in a stolen car theft ring; multiple arrests.

My brother got the car back, the poor woman was out whatever she paid for the car, my brother received restitution for the loss of items that were in the trunk (tools, and other misc. stuff). Every year, it became a PITA to renew the registration because of the tampered VIN.

How long ago was that? These days that is an easy way to get booted off the force.
Correct; it’s a violation of NCIC protocol. Anyone permitted to have access to NCIC knows that from the training that they signed off on acknowledging.

The chances of getting caught from doing it once are slim, but—

I supervised the dispatch section of my agency at one time. All command staff was made to spend a year doing it. My name came up twice.

Anyhow, one of my employees just happened to look up the license plate of a neighbor of his at the precise time that the state control system was doing random audits. His query was flagged for review.

To make a long story short, miraculously he wasn’t fired, but the volume with which the Chief yelled at him behind closed doors rivaled any human voice I’ve heard before or since.

Obviously he sought employment elsewhere shortly thereafter. And interestingly another agency did hire him.

Back