Anyone ever ordered a new vehicle verses car lot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: irv
I haven't read this whole post so it might have already been mentioned, but comparing purchasing one off the lot to ordering one can save a huge amount of money if one gets an employee discount.

Normally, or it use to be, if you purchased one off the lot, you were given 12% off. If you ordered one then that number jumped to 17% off.

I found this out just before I was ready to purchase a 1996 Sierra off a lot when a friend told me to go speak to someone he knew.
I was blown away as the previous salesman told me that's the cheapest I would be able to get any truck. The new salesman informed me ordering one saved you even more.
I ended up purchasing a 1997 that came with the 3rd door, in the colors/options I wanted for less than what that 1996 would have cost me off the lot.
I get/got the GM employee discount through my SIL but can also currently get it through my wife now.

That is definitely true with GM, as I was able to utilize the GM employee discount (from a family member) by ordering my Corvette, but that same discount would not apply to cars sitting on the lot, since the dealer already paid a higher price to acquire that car then they would if they placed the order with the employee discount in place.

Are you saying there was no/zero employee discount for cars sitting on the lots? Maybe only applicable to Corvettes as I can't honestly see that being the case with all brands of GM cars sitting on the lots?

My scenario was back in 1997 but I also received an employee discount back in 09 but ordering one then was out of the question due to the GM restructuring that was taking place at that time.

Originally Posted By: irv

Are you saying there was no/zero employee discount for cars sitting on the lots? Maybe only applicable to Corvettes as I can't honestly see that being the case with all brands of GM cars sitting on the lots?

My scenario was back in 1997 but I also received an employee discount back in 09 but ordering one then was out of the question due to the GM restructuring that was taking place at that time.

I didn't get an exact quote on any of the cars on the lot since none of them were even close to what I wanted, but I was told by the salesman that the discount would not have been as good, but I didn't press him any further as to exact %. It's probably similar to what you had experienced in 97.

Way back in 2004 I started hearing rumors from a Chrysler guy I know in Canada about the car in my sig. Did some research and placed deposits at two different dealers and got nuttin' as all 2005's were sold mostly to executives within Chrysler. They only made a little under 300 cars. Shuffled my money around a bit with a third dealer and was able to order a 2006. Finally got a chance to buy one but since the majority of Florida dealers had upcharges on the one they had (that's right, just one) I passed as I will not pay over sticker no matter the demand.

Normally I am a used car buyer and only buy new trucks for my biz. Dealers are usually quite a challenge for me.

Originally Posted By: Patman
It seems to me that your argument not to order is kind of weak here. On the Corvette Forum there have been hundreds, if not thousands of members who have ordered their cars over the past 15 years that I have been a member, and I can't recall a single one of them who has gotten their car with the wrong options, or has had their car delivered to the wrong dealer.

I have seen the same on wranglerforum. Factory ordering seems to be somewhat popular and the biggest problem is see in the "Waiting Room" threads is dealers way underestimating the time it takes to get the Jeep.

With FCA stuff after your order is placed you are given a VON(?) number. Once the factory accepts the order you are given an actual VIN. With that you able to look up the Build Sheet right on the FCA website. With just the VON the chat support or phone support number can also over the options and make sure the name/shipping it correct. I was able to independently verify everything outside of the dealership.

I suspect people who got their cars sent to the wrong dealer or with the wrong options where dealing with dishonest dealerships who just sold them a car that was already in the pipeline rather then truly starting a new order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back